PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Schefter: Logan Mankins to report, sign tender on Tuesday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Logan Mankins signs tender

I'm not sure I agree with that statement. Ty Law called Belichick a liar, Logan Mankins called the organization liars. But Law never held out, missed any practices or games. So I'd say their statements were equally offensive, but Mankins' actions were worse. :confused:

Mankins is not holding out. He is not under contract and is in no way required to be anywhere near Foxboro.

Connolly and Vollmer (and Crumpler at TE) were very uneven with their blocking, particularly early on.

I agree. I do not think the line had been that good this year. They have had good stretches of play but overall I think they have been poor to mediocre.

I believe Mankins will be ready to go pretty quick. he may have some odd traits, but has never been known to be lazy. connolly on the bench gives the pats valuable depth once neal gets hurt. I am glad he is back because he helps.

I want Randy Moss back because I believe he can also help. The bottom line is that he will help open things up again, but I believe it needs to be a diminished role. But again, for this year, I think he would help.

yes, we have done well without either, but going into the stretch both would be welcome additions to me.

I hope he's ready to come in and work hard. But..

he's nowhere near football shape.

No way do the Pats blow 7M per year on this egotistical malcontent. The position isn't worth it.

No, no 1,000-yard guys with Mankins. But Pats overall were 6th in the NFL rushing in 2008, and basically 12th-13th most of the time Mankins has been here.

NFL Stats: by Team Category

Good, so let him be the 6th (or 12th-13th) highest paid LG in the NFL. He however, is (or shall I say "WAS" - - maybe he has changed a bit after seeing in full technicolor the lessons taught by Messrs. Branch and Moss the past few weeks) demanded to be the highest paid LG in the NFL.

Let's face it, Logan Mankins has been given a "George Bailey - It's a Wonderful Life" opportunity to see what life would be like without him (and has been able to see the experiences of others who have taken the plunge). He'd be a blind fool not to be affected by the stark examples of Milloy, Law, Branch and Moss pounding the door, crying to be let back in. Hell, look at the Tully Banta Cain example - - he came back for the Vet Min!

In the meantime, this team has somehow survived without him with the best record in the NFL.

Last edited:
I am amazed at how many people in this thread have said to either bench or make Mankins inactive. Yet theses same people want Randy Moss back.

Moss did the same thing and demanded to be traded.

I would love to have both on the team myself.

I don't want either of them back.

I like the dynamic of this young, together team.

I don't want either of them back.

I like the dynamic of this young, together team.
I'd rather keep Connelly and use the money saved $5-6 million? to spend on a FA D-lineman for example.

Last edited:
I'd rather keep Connelly and use the money saved $4-5 million? to spend on a FA D-lineman for example.

That's how I see it too. Others may disagree and that's OK, but the Patriots have done it this way for a decade and each time the conventional wisdom around the league doesn't understand it.

Connolly and Vollmer (and Crumpler at TE) were very uneven with their blocking, particularly early on.

Selective observation.
On several plays Light was dealing with an outside rusher (no guard issues here) and the rusher reaching around Light barely missed Brady who was fortunately able to step up that little bit, thanks to interior line blocking that held better than Light's lead footedness.

The failure of internal OL blocking when it occured (e.g. the Giants SB game) has been more disasterous for Brady who preferes to step up rather than to roll out where's he's not that fast and suffers from realtive inaccuracy. Admitedly Brady's little quick side step move helps rushers both interior and around end miss him.

2.) Mankins was drafted in 2005. Brady has never had more than 26 sacks with Mankins as his LG, meaning he was never higher than 14 on the sack totals list.

3.) Last year, coming back from the injury, Brady was sacked only 16 times all season. This year, he's already been sacked 12 times, putting him on pace for 27 sacks, which would be higher than any year with Mankins on the line.

Awesome massaging of your sack stat on Mankins.

You had noted that a Pats OL with Mankins had never given up more than 26 sacks in any year.

Well, that 26 number happened TWICE in both his first two years as a Pats LG starter.

So, in a clearer perspective, Connolly, in his first year as a LG starter is on a pace merely ONE SACK worse than both of Mankins' first two years.

Yeah, that's worth an extra $7 million per year. ;)

Last edited:
I'd rather keep Connelly and use the money saved $4-5 million? to spend on a FA D-lineman for example.

I'd rather resign Mankins and use our draft picks on positions of strength in this draft (DL) and not positions of weakness (OL).

So, in a clearer perspective, Connolly, in his first year as a LG starter is on a pace merely ONE SACK worse than both of Mankins' first two years.

If sacks were the only measure of an OL's worth, you might have a point there.

Mankins is a better pass blocker and a better run blocker than Connolly. Given that our vertical game is pretty much gone, ability to run the ball in the playoffs is going to be at a premium. Our ability to run with Mankins at LG is better than if we had Connolly in the same spot.

We just don't know what the next collective sharing agreement will look like. jerry Jones must be frustrated iN Dallas, and this was the wrong year for his team to go into the tank. He may extract blood from Ralph Wilson, the Hunts, Weaver in Jax and the Browns in Cincinnati, when he demands that the big market teams like Dallas and the Patriots keep more of their proceeds. The salary cap may expand by a big margin and contract at the bottom of the league.

Awesome massaging of your sack stat on Mankins.

You had noted that a Pats OL with Mankins had never given up more than 26 sacks in any year.

Well, that 26 number happened TWICE in both his first two years as a Pats LG starter.

I massaged nothing. Last year, 16 sacks. This year, on pace for 27 despite Brady being much more comfortable and mobile in the pocket this season than last. And Mankins first year as a starter was his first year in the league. Connolly has been in the league since 2005, as well. The fact that Mankins has been starting all those years while Connolly's been riding the pine should be a clue to you.

Selective observation.
On several plays Light was dealing with an outside rusher (no guard issues here) and the rusher reaching around Light barely missed Brady who was fortunately able to step up that little bit, thanks to interior line blocking that held better than Light's lead footedness.

The failure of internal OL blocking when it occured (e.g. the Giants SB game) has been more disasterous for Brady who preferes to step up rather than to roll out where's he's not that fast and suffers from realtive inaccuracy. Admitedly Brady's little quick side step move helps rushers both interior and around end miss him.

Light was facing the best pass rusher on the Vikings, and he more than held his own. Edwards was giving Vollmer fits, and Connolly was struggling on the inside. I don't consider noting that to be selective observation. We'll have to just disagree on that point.

I don't think Mankins attitude and the extra $7-8 million is worth what he brings over Connoly.

Last edited by a moderator:
I massaged nothing. Last year, 16 sacks. This year, on pace for 27 despite Brady being much more comfortable and mobile in the pocket this season than last. And Mankins first year as a starter was his first year in the league. Connolly has been in the league since 2005, as well. The fact that Mankins has been starting all those years while Connolly's been riding the pine should be a clue to you.

No one is saying that Connolly is BETTER than Mankins, that is crazy talk.

I just don't think Mankins is worth $6-7 million dollars per year more to this team than what it has right now. Next year, when there is a salary cap, that $6-7 million will mean something tangible.

Last edited:
That's how I see it too. Others may disagree and that's OK, but the Patriots have done it this way for a decade and each time the conventional wisdom around the league doesn't understand it.

The team has kept Light and Neal throughout the years, and Koppen was given a second deal as well. Despite your claim, the Patriots have not "done it this way for a decade".

Connelly has done a great job stepping in. That said, no question that the OL is better with Mankins. Have we decided yet who he kicks off the roster?

No one is saying that Connolly is BETTER than Mankins, that is crazy talk.

I just don't think Mankins is worth $6-7 million dollars per year more to this team than what it has right now. Next year, when there is a salary cap, that $6-7 million will mean something tangible.

One could just as logically argue that Brady's not worth $15+ million dollars more than Hoyer, either, if you point to the success Matt Cassel had when Brady went down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes