PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Schefter: Logan Mankins to report, sign tender on Tuesday

Status
Not open for further replies.
My position on re-signing Mankins is this: 3 out of 5 starters on the current version of the offensive line are currently on the wrong side of 30. One is a LT who is still solid, but is probably not going to get another contract offered to him. One is a center whose struggles against bigger NT's and DT's (like the ones we face in this division) have become more prominent this season. One is an oft-injured RG who gave serious thought to retiring after last season.

The way I see it, I would rather sign Mankins, a guy who has done nothing but stay healthy and play hard for us and a guy who is in the prime of his career. With him locked up at LG, we can then move Vollmer to LT should the team choose not to bring back Light. After that, we're looking at spending a high draft pick on either a center or a RG (both will be drafted, IMO, but one will probably be drafted high). Locking up Mankins not only gives us a top five guard for years to come and helps solidify the interior of the new look O-Line, but it also allows us to spend a high draft pick on the front seven next season and complete the rebuild of that area.

For me, it makes too much sense not to happen. I would give him a Mangold type of deal in a SECOND, without a moment's hesitation.

So would I
Allegedly he was offered such a deal
I think the issue was with Mankins
Maybe things have changed a bit perception wise
I hope so, because you cite the reasons why Logan is valuable to the team. I'd like any high OL draft pick to be a T or a C, not a G.

Pats MAY be gambling that they can sign a vet OG in FA for millions less than Mankins next season. Sadly, the last few years they have not done well replacing departing studs with FAs.

Mankins isn't worth jack. YOu can coach up a JAG into a starter at OG. You can't do that at QB. Scarcity determines price.

Hope they get as much out of him as they can. He may not want to suit up though, why risk injury for peanuts? Would be kind of funny if they made him play, he felt obligated to and then he blew out his knee and achilles tendon in the last game.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes