PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Schefter: Branch to New England for 4th round pick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get your facts straight. It was Boldin and a 5th for the Ravens 3rd and 4th round picks.

Ok, that makes sense. I thought I saw a post that said Bolden was had for only a 4th.

Ok, that makes sense. I thought I saw a post that said Bolden was had for only a 4th.

Sorry to be so acerbic, I'm kind of sick and stuck at work so not in the greatest mood.

This is an impossible argument.

Seems to me that when you're on a 20 game winning streak during the regular season, you don't rely on your top gun at WR as much. You're ahead of the other team, you spread the ball around, and then when the playoffs come, you go to your bread & butter. Maybe the Steelers thought all the Patriot WRs were interchangeable in 2004. Apparently not. Branch burned them.

huh?

He did nothing in 2003 playoffs except for the Panthers game that turned into a 2nd half shootout. He did nothing against IND in the 2004 playoffs. He didn't do much to help against Jacksonville in 2005. He was slightly lower than his seasonal averages in 06 with Seattle.

So the 03-04 teams were just -expected- to win those playoff games without him so that he could shine in the other ones?

If he had a skill to play at a high level in the playoffs he wouldn't have had to rely on the defense to get him more chances to show that skill. Branch does not have a hidden "playoff skill", neither does Brady.

Replace Branch with Moss in 2003 and they are at better odds to win the SB. Replace Moss with Branch in 2007 and they are at worse odds to win the SB. It doesn't matter how things ENDED up unless you believe in pre-determined destiny at which point I leave the conversation.

You know something, I'm sick of watching the Jets DBs molesting WRs all the way down the field.

I wish the Jets were forced to play the Colts early so that Polian could give the refs an earful!!!!!

In this league your DBs need to play man on man coverage.Right now the jets have a nice duo.We need to do more of that and not play safe zone coverage!

Gotta say I was surprised at the number of non-calls the Jets escaped on PI. Reminded me of the Giants in the 60s when they'd commit infractions with no calls.

Actually, what I saw was the Vikes WR, especially Moss, using their hands to try to gain separation, and the CB's battling that off, and just trying to keep their one hand against the rcr, which is allowed. I thought that was well called. Or not called. But true, Polian has a way to make sure that his rcr's get their automatic 5 yard halo or the yellow goes flying.

And I saw a ton of corners playing up in man coverage against Miami, with the safeties playing cover two over the top.

Actually, what I saw was the Vikes WR, especially Moss, using their hands to try to gain separation, and the CB's battling that off, and just trying to keep their one hand against the rcr, which is allowed. I thought that was well called. Or not called. But true, Polian has a way to make sure that his rcr's get their automatic 5 yard halo or the yellow goes flying.

And I saw a ton of corners playing up in man coverage against Miami, with the safeties playing cover two over the top.

Care to comment about the handful of jersey Cromartie obviously had on the first long pass attempt to Moss? That certainly is not allowed.

Care to comment about the handful of jersey Cromartie obviously had on the first long pass attempt to Moss? That certainly is not allowed.

Meh, I saw that, too. It did not seem to turn him or slow him up. Just a hand on the jersey. Like I said, I thought Moss was doing his fair share of shoving off, which did redirect Cromartie. They didn't call those either. I thought all of that was well non called. Look, there is only one Colts team who's rcrs get a fair catch halo or its PI. The rest of the league plays straight up.

Meh, I saw that, too. It did not seem to turn him or slow him up. Just a hand on the jersey. Like I said, I thought Moss was doing his fair share of shoving off, which did redirect Cromartie. They didn't call those either. I thought all of that was well non called. Look, there is only one Colts team who's rcrs get a fair catch halo or its PI. The rest of the league plays straight up.

PI is one of the most inconsistent calls accross the league. I disagree everyone else plays "straight up". Hell the jets game in week 2 was called loose for 3 quarters then mysteriously the refs call some bogus crap on Butler.

And btw he had much more than "a hand on the jersey", he had Moss' jersey completely stretched out.

Love Branch, but a 4th rounder seems a little steep. Shows how desperate the Pats were for another veteran WR who knows the system and can make an immediate impact

The Pats had two 4th round picks, so using one of those picks to obtain a receiver who can conceivably help the WR corps today, THIS SEASON, instead of waiting for the draft I think is worth it. Branch's experience in the system is also a plus.

Aside from talent, which we will see soon enough if he 'still has it', my only question is Branch's durability. He tends to break down with dings and such. I hope he can stay healthy for the rest of the season or this will have been a waste of a draft pick. Conceivably Holt could have helped this team if he hadn't gotten hurt and he cost no draft picks.

In any case, welcome back Branch. Please check your ego at the door, and bring back the days of the 'nameless' but equally dangerous, 'spread the wealth' passing attack that the Pats used to be known for. This appears to be a positive move for now but its true worth will depend entirely on Branch's production upon his return to New England.

Last edited:
In case it hasn't been reported, the Globe is now saying that the pick we traded to Seattle is the higher of the two fourth round picks that we have, whichever one it ends up being, ours or Denver's.

Last edited:
Per WEEI Branch has passed his physical so the trade is official. He will practice with the team this afternoon and wear #84 and occupy the locker stall next to Brady vacated by Moss. Kaczur has been moved to IR to open the roster spot.

"Branch replacing MOSS???"

Shouldn't it be "Moss replacing BRANCH??"

* Branch: 3 Rings.

* Moss: ZERO.

* It is NOT a coincidence, as I have said, many times.

That does NOT mean that tossing away a 4th for Branch is a SMART move.

My GOD.

The Top 10-30% around here are exceptional...

But when the Ugly 80 rear their ugly heads...:eek:

As mistakes go, dropping a 4th on Branch is small...

The important thing is: We've got Branch.

Once, AGAIN:

Its post like these that makes me shake my head and wonder of fans actually watch the games the Pats have played since 2001 . . .

Am I glad we have Branch back, yes, and I don't mind the compensation, even tho others on this board think its too much . . . I sincerely believe that BB had all of this in mind when he traded Marooney and Moss; that is, he planned to try to get branch back and essentially make an exchange for one of those players for Branch . . .

As to the Branch v. Moss arguement, neither of those players play on Defense. . . If we remember our Pats history, Moss and the Pats went 18.9995-0 in 2007 and it took an all world, one in a life time catch to deny the Pats and specifically Moss a ring, and it had very little to do with Moss. Indeed it was Moss that caught to go ahead TD

If we remember the 03-04 runs, in 2003 divisional playoff game against TN, McNair threw the ball to Bennett who was opened but bobbled the ball and was eventually broken up by the Defense. Had Bennett not bobbled the ball the Titans would of had a 1st down inside the red zone with 1:30 or so left in the game trailing by three, very likely would of tied the game, or even won the game. Branch btw caught 3 passes for 10 yards;). My point is that the Pats were one oppenents reception away from being put in a position to loose that game . . . had Bennett made the catch like Tyree in SB 42, then is likely the Pats go one and done and Branch has only one SB ring. (and btw Branch was not on the team in 2001, and only has two rings)

Had Tyree not caught the ball like Bennett not catching the ball, Moss and the Pats are 19-0 and have ring. If one were to filp around those incomplete and complete, Bennett catching the pass, and Tyree not catching it, Branch and Moss each have one ring and Moss a 19-0

If one looks at SB 39 Harrision intercepted McNabb to end the game (albeit late in the game), again had Harrison pick off Manning late in SB 42 on that last drive, as opposed to letting the ball hit his chest, Moss has a ring, again if you flip around the harrison INT and missed INT in SBs 39 and 42, history looks different . . .

the morale of the story is that key plays be the opponent offense, or missed opportunities on the part of your defense significantly changes the fate of the team and the players on offenise. D. Branch had fate and better defense on his side as compared to Moss . . .

huh?

He did nothing in 2003 playoffs except for the Panthers game that turned into a 2nd half shootout. He did nothing against IND in the 2004 playoffs. He didn't do much to help against Jacksonville in 2005. He was slightly lower than his seasonal averages in 06 with Seattle.

So the 03-04 teams were just -expected- to win those playoff games without him so that he could shine in the other ones?

If he had a skill to play at a high level in the playoffs he wouldn't have had to rely on the defense to get him more chances to show that skill. Branch does not have a hidden "playoff skill", neither does Brady.

Replace Branch with Moss in 2003 and they are at better odds to win the SB. Replace Moss with Branch in 2007 and they are at worse odds to win the SB. It doesn't matter how things ENDED up unless you believe in pre-determined destiny at which point I leave the conversation.

He did nothing, eh? You mean in games the Patriots DOMINATED the opposition? Just what did you want him to do against the Colts or Jaguars?

Brady plays better in the playoffs.

Actually, it's Branch and a 3rd for Moss and a 4th and $1M, which is the difference in the remaining salary between Moss and the overcompensated Branch. The deal-killer when we're looking at extending players is always the signing bonus. Seattle paid that for Branch, and his $6M next year is not guaranteed. He gets $3.75M from the Pats this year. If he performs, he can restructure his deal to make more than that $6M, but I doubt we keep him at that rate, given the number of younger, likely more effective, cheaper targets Brady has at his disposal.

Is the 4th rounder worth it? I'll use my 20-20 hindsight to make that call. It's a reasonable gamble, certainly better than the flyer they took on Burgess.

Just as a note: I was not breaking it down fully (I was making a pretty basic 1:1 comparison). As a matter of fact, neither did you. The "swap" deal is actually worse than I was originally pointing out. There's also the 7th that we had to toss back in the Moss deal.

Also, since we're told, time and again, that the Patriots aren't cheap, and since this is an uncapped year where contract money means nothing except with regards to team profit margins, the financial aspects of the deal shouldn't even come into play.

Last edited:
He did nothing, eh? You mean in games the Patriots DOMINATED the opposition? Just what did you want him to do against the Colts or Jaguars?

So you explain away Branch for doing nothing in which the games Patriots win, well then we get to explain away Moss' 2 wins as well. It's nothing more than revisionist history. The Patriots barely won the Titans game, a little bounce here or there and they lose. No it was not pre-determined destiny and yes it would have been better if Branch had more production.

Brady plays better in the playoffs.

Only in your mind.

Regular Season:

63.5 completion %, 7.3 Y/A, 5.4 TD%, 2.3 INT%, 93.8 Rating

Playoffs:

62.0 completion %, 6.45 Y/A, 4.4 TD%, 2.3 INT%, 85.0 Rating

Gotta say I was surprised at the number of non-calls the Jets escaped on PI. Reminded me of the Giants in the 60s when they'd commit infractions with no calls.

What got me was the blatant use of the arm bar, and the non-calls for it. Cromartie was using that as his tactic to slow down Moss the entire time. Does anyone here really think that McCourty or Butler would have been allowed to get away with that?

So you explain away Branch for doing nothing in which the games Patriots win, well then we get to explain away Moss' 2 wins as well. It's nothing more than revisionist history. The Patriots barely won the Titans game, a little bounce here or there and they lose. No it was not pre-determined destiny and yes it would have been better if Branch had more production.

Only in your mind.

Regular Season:

63.5 completion %, 7.3 Y/A, 5.4 TD%, 2.3 INT%, 93.8 Rating

Playoffs:

62.0 completion %, 6.45 Y/A, 4.4 TD%, 2.3 INT%, 85.0 Rating

It's not revisionist at all. The Patriots ran the ball against the Colts and they dominated the Jags.

When they needed him, Branch came through.

I see you didn't do a playoff breakdown of Brady w/ Branch versus Brady w/ Moss.

W/ Branch (8 games): 14 Tds, 4 INTs, 96 passing rating
W/ Moss (4 games): 7 Tds, 6 INTs, 83 passing rating

Its post like these that makes me shake my head and wonder of fans actually watch the games the Pats have played since 2001 . . .

It's posts like ^^ these ^^ that make me shake my head and wonder if fans actually watch the games the Pats have played since 2001 . . .

The Patriots became a different kind of team in 2007; one that was disturbingly similar to the Colts.

Evidently, that escaped you.

It's bad enough that you can't see the obvious dominance that Ball Control Teams have held over Fantasy FootBall Teams, over the ages:

Not since 1989 ~ 20 YEARS ~ has the leading TD Receiver played for the Super Bowl Champion.

Only 3 teams, since then ~ the 94 Miners, the 99 Rams, and the 09 Saints ~ have been Passing teams that won the Super Bowl without blatant and documented CHEATING.

But the fact that you're so vacuous as to think that observing the obvious ~ again: Ball Control Teams DOMINATE Fantasy FootBall Teams ~ is not only wrong, but way off...is PATHETIC.

I like the trade. Branch will make our defense better.

BB wants to keep our young and still mediocre defense off the field. That means dink and dunk, 3rd and short, and long drives with short passes. There is no room for Moss in that offense. Branch will become one of several interchangeable ball catchers with good hands. Expect Brady to hit 7+ different receivers per game. Not flashy but who cares.

What got me was the blatant use of the arm bar, and the non-calls for it. Cromartie was using that as his tactic to slow down Moss the entire time. Does anyone here really think that McCourty or Butler would have been allowed to get away with that?

Amazing because that was precisely what I was thinking as I watched the repeated infractions. That said, Cro kept pace and has has FAR exceeded my expectations this season.

It's not revisionist at all. The Patriots ran the ball against the Colts and they dominated the Jags.

When they needed him, Branch came through.

Of course it's revisionist history. As has been shown already, a bounce that Branch doesn't control in the Titans game and that's 1 and done with Branch having a crappy game in 2003 playoffs.

You can say the -exact- same thing about Moss showing up "when needed" and them running the ball in the 2 'bad' games in 2007.

I see you didn't do a playoff breakdown of Brady w/ Branch versus Brady w/ Moss.

W/ Branch (8 games): 14 Tds, 4 INTs, 96 passing rating
W/ Moss (4 games): 7 Tds, 6 INTs, 83 passing rating

Yes go nitpick stuff to attempt to fit your false assertions. You said Brady "is better in the playoffs". I PROVED you wrong.

And still take away Moss playoffs and you get 60%, 6.6 Y/A, 4.1 TD%, 1.8 INT%.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST