PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

SBB's 8/10 AM Practice (Awesome)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great report again; many thanks.

I just looked through the Reiss/Globe/Herald blogs and didn't see any mention of the tight ends. Any observations on Gronkowski and Hernandez (and Crumpler)?
Links my good man! LINKS!! The Who Dat Nation is craving any and all info from these joint practices!!

Hopefully both teams make it through injury free!

I just looked through the Reiss/Globe/Herald blogs and didn't see any mention of the tight ends. Any observations on Gronkowski and Hernandez (and Crumpler)?

I only remember one or two grabs from Gronk, Crump seemed to get some action with the ones and I remember at least one grab and then he was help pretty bad on another but Hernandez continued to really shine. He had a few nice catches and one pretty nice one fighting off a safety to grab a TD. Generally I have felt Gronk looks better as he seems to work on it all where as Hernandez always seems to be running routes but I think Hernandez stood out more today than Gronk.

You can't always get what you want.
But if you try, you just might find you get what you need.

Many regular cameras, e.g. Cannon have a seting where you can shoot video. More than enough to record a play.

Uh-oh. There goes my season ticket that I don't have.

They even crack down on those. If they think you are using a camera or phone in camcorder fashion they will come over and say stills only. They aren't going to take it from you so you could get away with it but they do try and control that. There was tons of extra security and I even got yelled at for standing on the last row bench which I almost always do to increase the angle on the far field I was completely dumbfounded.

Thanks for the report. I don't know why but TC reporting this year has should I say left something to be desired and this was a nice recounting of what went on. Wish I could be there to see the young players and how they did. If you recall any thing about the rookies that would be great. Esentially Malcolm Jenkins is a rookie at FS so I'm not surprised he had some growing pains, but I would like to get a look at vaughn and Arnoux out there. If you see them any info would be great. Overall nice job.

Home_Page

Just got back to my house and I must say that was awesome. spirited one on ones, entertaining 7 on 7s, and then 40 minutes of 11 on 11 alternating pats O and Saints O every 3 or 4 downs.

From a Saints fan- your observations are very much appreciated. Thanks for the post.

You can't always get what you want.
But if you try, you just might find you get what you need.

Many regular cameras, e.g. Cannon have a seting where you can shoot video. More than enough to record a play.

Uh-oh. There goes my season ticket that I don't have.

Yes, I have actually been doing this. I'd prefer the video camera for better quality.

For those nay sayers, don't worry, I am using this strictly for personal use ONLY.

Just got back to my house and I must say that was awesome. spirited one on ones, entertaining 7 on 7s, and then 40 minutes of 11 on 11 alternating pats O and Saints O every 3 or 4 downs.

Alot going on and I will try to recap everything but I am sure I will need several posts before I hit everything.

here goes nothing this is going to be very scattered as I will write what ever come to mind:

Heath Evans was one of the first saints on the field persumably to say hi to everyone. Gay spent a full STs period walking around and talking to old teamates. Thomas didnt seem as active but I am sure he was.

The whole team was in blue which made the team aspect of practice harder to follow.

Drew Brees is impressive. There was one play in particular where Wheatly blitzed and was in his face and likely would have been a sack but despite the pressure Brees thru a 20 yard beautiful touch pass right over tight coverage and into the receivers hand nothing Butler could do despite pretty good coverage.

Merriweather had the best defensive play of the day in red zone work breaking up a pass that looked like a sure TD.

Welker in one on ones made Malcom Jenkins look foolish once or twice, Gay made a nice play on him but then got beat next time. Welker looked every bit as tough to cover as one would remember and that was nice to see vs a opposition D.

Tate had some struggles in the one on ones dropping a few and generally didn't seem to fool the Saints as bad as he has been the Pats DBs. But he had one real nice sideline catch in 7 on 7.

in one on ones and 7 on 7 the D was on the far field so didn't get a great look and during the few moments I focused on that side I only saw our D get beat 3 or 4 plays.

McCourty showed some nice coverage in 11 on 11 covering Henderson down the field on two back to back plays.

I thought Murrell who seemed to be working with the ones at OLB had a good practice. On one run play he pushed his guy deep in the backfield and even though he got knocked down he filled his role and the play needed to go 10 yards in the backfield in order to get to the edge because Murrell was knocked down Bush was able to gain the LOS back but that was it. On another play he displayed nice pass rush and had what I call a potential sack as they still dont hit the QBs even though it is opposition.

In general I thought the Olines on both sides of the ball could have been better.

In one on ones RB vs LBs Faulk just can not be covered. Made Vilma look foolish a couple of times.

In general I wouldn't say that either team stood out as the better on the field but I do think we had a slight edge in red zone work. Will definitely be interesting to hear some opinions on who looked better as I felt it was pretty even which has to be a good sign I mean as good as we have been they are the defending champs.

I noticed Mayock was in attendance and I will be looking forward to hearing what he has to say.

As always I will post anything else that comes to mind as it does but I actually think I hit on most of the things I noticed.

The crowd was pretty good, though late arriving, I would guestimate they got close to 10,000 by the end. I suspect this afternoon is going to be insane and I am going to be sure to be early to get a seat.

thanks :rocker: nice write up signbabybrady. I was pretty sure Brady wouldn't be fooled that much by our coverage this time. So did both OL's not do so well in your opinion because both teams DL's looked better? or because they were missing assignments? How did the Saints left DL look with Brown? and did Saints RB Chris Ivory or PJ Hill get a few reps? Also how did spikes and BenJarvus Green-Ellis look? Any one get passed Greer, he been a shut down CB threw TC?

Sorry Im way to exited to be scrimmaging with you guys.

BTW Heath EVans tweeted us to make sure we knew he wasnt going to stay, LOL
https://twitter.com/HeathEvans

Yes my twitter fam I am still w/ the Saints. We r up n New England to practice/play the Pats!

Last edited:

PFW guys saying that Gronk caught the TD and had a few other catches.

Hernandez caught a lot of balls and some good catches on outs.

Crumpler saw less of the ball and had a drop.

Awesome. Thanks! For the earlier request for links to media blogs writing about this a.m.'s practice:
Quick hits from camp session No. 20 - Extra Points - Boston.com

BostonHerald.com - Blogs: Rap Sheet Blog Archive What happened at the Patriots training camp? Day 11, Session 1 (Saints edition)

Patriots practice 20: Observations - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

Here's some links to nola.com where the New Orleans Times-Picayune writers blog and put post practice interviews:

Highlights from New Orleans Saints quarterback Drew Brees' media session Tuesday:

Highlights from New Orleans Saints quarterback Drew Brees' media session Tuesday | NOLA.com

Highlights from New Orleans Saints Coach Sean Payton's media session Tuesday (very comoplimentary of N.E.)

Highlights from New Orleans Saints Coach Sean Payton's media session Tuesday | NOLA.com

New Orleans Saints coach Sean Payton seeks dynasty insight while in New England:

New Orleans Saints coach Sean Payton seeks dynasty insight while in New England | NOLA.com

Nice interview with Sean Payton, thanks for posting those!

The TD I am thinking of was definitely Hernandez but I think I recall gronk getting one that I missed in 7 on 7 while I was watching the other field.

thanks :rocker: nice write up signbabybrady. I was pretty sure Brady wouldn't be fooled that much by our coverage this time. So did both OL's not do so well in your opinion because both teams DL's looked better? or because they were missing assignments? How did the Saints left DL look with Brown? and did Saints RB Chris Ivory or PJ Hill get a few reps? Also how did spikes and BenJarvus Green-Ellis look? Any one get passed Greer, he been a shut down CB threw TC?

Sorry Im way to exited to be scrimmaging with you guys.

BTW Heath EVans tweeted us to make sure we knew he wasnt going to stay, LOL
https://twitter.com/HeathEvans

you have to remember I watching thru Patriot lenses looking for my guys to shine but I definitely recall Greer making a few plays and I think I looked up Arnoux once or twice though why specifically isnt coming to mind. By looked up I mean I brought a saints roster with so I could put a name to the number if needed.

As to the rush I also cant think of who specifaclly was the one that stands out to me but one instance was from the defensive right. Really the comment was to the whole it seemed as the olines were being pushed back on both sides. Obviously they dont sack the QBs so there isnt always something specific to point out.

Faulk has been eating a lot healthier this season and looks to be even in better shape than last year.

We really appreciate you sitting under his dining room window all offseason so you could report this. How's that restraining order going? :D

We really appreciate you sitting under his dining room window all offseason so you could report this. How's that restraining order going? :D

no no, i think i read it somewhere. the article basically said that faulk looks as energetic as ever, even at 34, and that his wife is making him eat healthy stuff...nothing fried, smaller portions, etc. come to think of it, it does sound stalkerish. ;)

Kev's been getting some really good reports, I'm glad for him! And glad for us, we lost a lot of veterans and he's really stepping up.

Got this from the Saints board. Probably the most detailed TC report so far that I've seen.
Practice 1/15, Day 10, Training Camp Observations

Injury Report:
WR Rod Harper (left hip) was the only non-PUP player to miss practice Tuesday as the Saints went against the Patriots at New England’s training facilities in suburban Boston.

Linebacker Scott Shanle (left knee) and cornerback Patrick Robinson (hamstring) both returned from absences in practice the past week.

The PUP players – S Darren Sharper (left knee), WR Robert Meachem (toe) and LB Clint Ingram (left knee) – all continued to sit out practice.

Heat Index (calculated from NWS numbers at Norwood Memorial Airport):
8:53 a.m.: 81.9 degree heat index
10:53 a.m.: 85.5 degree heat index

Living on a prayer:
While the Saints and Patriots were going through stretching drills, New Orleans Head Coach Sean Payton and New England Head Coach Bill Belichick met in between the two practice fields as Bon Jovi’s ‘Have a Nice Day’ blared on the loudspeakers.

But upon further notice, the song was meant to tie up one important fact – Bon Jovi was in attendance, hamming it up with both Payton and Belichick, who befriended the rock star while coaching the New York Giants in the 90s.

Just as important for Payton was a story he told Bon Jovi before practice. The Saints head coach formally accepted the job offer from General Manager Mickey Loomis while attending a Bon Jovi concert in Dallas with the coach’s wife Beth.

“He’s one of those guys when you have a chance to meet back stage and you’re with your wife, there’s a chance you might not go home with your wife,” Payton joked. “She’s not afraid to voice that opinion either. I was like, ‘Alright, I’m going to have a hard time beating that.’”

1-on-1 (N.E. WRs/QBs vs. N.O. DBs)
Not a lot really stood out in this one, honestly, as Tom Brady and his backup Brian Hoyer completed a lot of slants and quick hitches. Those are nearly impossible to defend in this drill.

That said, there were a couple of standouts.
CB Patrick Robinson showed exactly why the Saints have confidence in him to be a solid first-round draft pick. Going up against Brady and receiver Randy Moss, Robinson made a nice move to catch up to Moss on the sideline and batted the ball away for an incompletion. Then, with Hoyer as quarterback and tight end Rob Myers as the receiver, Robinson made another good play to keep the Patriots from a completion.
Not that this needs to be said, but CB Jabari Greer continues to impress since his signing with the Saints last offseason. Tuesday, he kept Brady from completing passes to receiver Rod Owens and Moss.
CB/NB Randall Gay shut down Patriots receiver Wes Welker during the 2009 game in New Orleans. He did it again Tuesday in Foxboro several times.
Team 1:
(Saints O vs Pats D)
First down: QB Drew Brees play-action to open TE Jeremy Shockey deep right for 20-plus yard gain
First down: RB Pierre Thomas left tackle for 4 yards
First down: RB Reggie Bush up middle for 2-3 yards
First down: Brees play-action to WR Marques Colston over middle. Pass dropped
First down: QB Patrick Ramsey to WR Adrian Arrington
First down: Ramsey to Arrington in tight coverage
First down: RB Chris Ivory right end for 3-4 yards

(Pats O vs Saints D)
First down: RB Laurence Maroney middle give for 4-5 yards
First down: QB Tom Brady to WR Randy Moss in between CB Jabari Greer and S Usama Young for 60-yard completion. Brady has tons of time in pocket
First down: Brady to RB Fred Taylor for a short gain

(Saints O vs Pats D)
First down: Bush slips through the middle for 5 yards
First down: Brees to Bush right flat for 10 yards
First down: Brees to Colston for 10-plus yard gain
First down: flag – hard count by Brees brings Pats offside
First down: Brees incomplete to WR Lance Moore in front of CB Darius Butler
First down: Thomas breaks around left end for 10-plus yard gain

(Pats O vs Saints D)
First down: Brady incomplete
First down: Brady to receiver Brandon Tate in front of CB Tracy Porter
First down: Brady to Tate on a crossing route for 20-plus yards
First down: Brady incomplete to Moss

Team 2, Red zone:
(Saints O vs Pats D)
First-and-10 @ 17 – Bush bounces outside right for 3-5 yards
Second-and-10 @ 17 – Thomas left, flag – false start
Third-and-10 @ 15 – Brees to Shockey at goal line, but S Brandon Meriweather bats away ball
First-and-goal @ 7 – Brees to WR Courtney Roby slant left, spins past CB Darius Butler for TD
Second-and-goal @ 5 – Brees throws high to TE David Thomas in end zone
Third-and-goal @ 3 – Brees checks out of play at line, throws to Shockey for TD.

(Pats O vs Saints D)
First-and-10 @ 17 – Maroney right end
Second-and-goal @ 8 – Brady to Moss in back of end zone, but S Usama Young tipped the pass away
Third-and-goal 2 7 – Brady to TE Aaron Hernandez in front S Roman Harper for TD
Third-and-goal @ 5 – Brady to TE Rob Gronkowski for TD

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes