PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

sanu released

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am tiring at listening to how poor Belichick is in acquiring talent.

If all our success was due to brady, then why aren't these folks posting on the TB fan board?

1. People aren't required to be just Brady fans, just as they aren't required to be just Patriots fans.
  2. You are willing to acknowledge that personnel acquisition, particularly on the offensive side of the ball, has been a problem in the past few years, right?

The team has hit on their top overall picks once since 2013. The rest of the drafts have been anywhere from meh to sub-par. Because of that, the team is depleted of young talent and cap-strapped. Fortunately, the latter problem will be solved by next season while the jury is still out on the former problem due to last year’s and this year’s drafts still being too early to thoroughly assess.

So what about its other picks besides its top overall picks?

As for the top overall picks....

2014: Dominique Easley (#29) - bust
2015: Malcom Brown (#32) - solid starter for several years
2016: Cyrus Jones (#60) - bust
2017: Derek Rivers (#83) - can't call a third rounder a "bust" but sure
2018: Isaiah Wynn (#23) - started 8 games last year, will start this year, quality player
2019: N'Keal Harry (#32) - hurt most of last year, jury still out
2020: Kyle Dugger (#37) - should get lots of playing time, but obviously the jury is still out

Average picking location: #42, which is a third of the way through the second round.

We see the percentage of players drafted in the second round at these positions who become "consistent starters":

2nd Round - OL (70%) LB (55%) TE (50%) WR (49%) DB (46%) QB (27%) DL (26%) RB (25%) - on average, that's 43.5% of 2nd rounders become "consistent starters". The Pats have had three of these guys fail to be consistent starters (Easley, Jones, Rivers). Brown was a consistent starter (started 67 of 76 games for NE). Wynn has started every game in which he's appeared so far. Harry will start this year. And who knows about Dugger.

So NE is "hitting" right about exactly where they ought to be, given their draft position.

So what about its other picks besides its top overall picks?

As for the top overall picks....

2014: Dominique Easley (#29) - bust
2015: Malcom Brown (#32) - solid starter for several years
2016: Cyrus Jones (#60) - bust
2017: Derek Rivers (#83) - can't call a third rounder a "bust" but sure
2018: Isaiah Wynn (#23) - started 8 games last year, will start this year, quality player
2019: N'Keal Harry (#32) - hurt most of last year, jury still out
2020: Kyle Dugger (#37) - should get lots of playing time, but obviously the jury is still out

Average picking location: #42, which is a third of the way through the second round.

We see the percentage of players drafted in the second round at these positions who become "consistent starters":

2nd Round - OL (70%) LB (55%) TE (50%) WR (49%) DB (46%) QB (27%) DL (26%) RB (25%) - on average, that's 43.5% of 2nd rounders become "consistent starters". The Pats have had three of these guys fail to be consistent starters (Easley, Jones, Rivers). Brown was a consistent starter (started 67 of 76 games for NE). Wynn has started every game in which he's appeared so far. Harry will start this year. And who knows about Dugger.

So NE is "hitting" right about exactly where they ought to be, given their draft position.

When you called Malcom Brown a "solid starter for several years", your post lost all credibility.

When you called Malcom Brown a "solid starter for several years", your post lost all credibility.
Not as bad a calling Sony Michel a JAG.

No I think he is better than a JAG. 1800+ yards his first two seasons in the NFL. Maybe I am too nice.

One season with a great line where he averaged 4.5 ypc, and one season with a bad line where he averaged 3.7 ypc. I don't really see that being a case where saying he's just a guy back there, to this point, is particularly problematic. I'd say he's been a disappointment as a first round pick and leave it at that, but I can see where some would call him worse than that.

On the other hand, if Brown had actually been a "solid starter for several years", they wouldn't have ditched him the way they did.

Edit: I would currently call him a low-end starter. He's not shown an ability to do much in the passing game, to date. He generally doesn't get more yards than are there. He struggles with health. But he's also shown the ability to have solid games in important times.

But, at least to this point, I think it's obvious that choosing him over Chubb was the wrong way to go.

Last edited:
Slam had a thread on this I believe. I wish someone would do a real thread and put the time in to do some real research. Like arguing back n forth in post after post is almost useless.

Look at other teams, where said teams are picking-who picked/passed on, the quality of that draft ...

Not arguing for/against but this is one of those subjects that deserve it

There’s our yearly surprise cut. Too bad.
Best wishes to him.

this offense is going to be very different and I’m looking forward to seeing it.
Why is this a surprise? Sanu was lousy last year. people speculated it was because he was injured, but that was never really confirmed.

I don't recall what drop you're referring to, but he wouldn't make the HOF anyways.
The drop on the 2nd-down pass late in the 4th quarter, during their futile penultimate drive.

Is bb bad at drafting wide receivers or was Brady really picky about who he threw to?

Bill thought Jonathan Baldwin was as good as, if not better than, Julio Jones. Take that for what it's worth as an answer.

Falcons' Julio Jones gamble (opposed by Bill Belichick) paid off

JFC, who cares if BB was wrong on Julio Jones who the Patriots were never in contention of being able to draft in the first place. Why don't you take a look at this list (83 1st Rd WRs since 2000) and maybe you'll figure out that being able to draft good WRs isn't just a Belichick problem. It's a crapshoot, even in the 1st round.

Malcolm Brown was a number 1 pick, started for the Pats since his rookie season, their NFL Ranking for rushing TD's allowed in Malcolm Brown's four years as a starter: 6th, 1st, 2nd, 2nd, he made history in 2018 starting in his third Super Bowl in just his fourth season and helped tie a record for the fewest points scored in any Super Bowl. But yeah... he sucked.

The self loathing and malaise amongst the negative Nancys never fails...

Last edited:
In 2018 Sony led the entire NFL postseason in yards, yards per carry and TD's.

If Sony doesn't get hurt in 2018 (missing 3.5 games) and you project his regular season stats out over 16 games he would have rushed for roughly 1217 yards and 8 TD's at 4.5 yards per carry. 1217 yards would have placed him 4th most in rushing yards in the NFL in 2018.

Does he make enough big plays? Enough to be one of the most successful rushers in the NFL, so the answer is yes. JAG's don't do that.

Blocking matters, having a legitimate passing threat matters, rushing doesn't happen in a vacuum. The 2019 Patriots were one of the worst run blocking teams in the league until the bye week, or until the season was 2/3rds over and the passing attack was anemic.

Big plays are the result of blocking, not some super power measured by analytics.

Last edited:
In 2018 Sony led the entire NFL postseason in yards, yards per carry and TD's.

If Sony doesn't get hurt in 2018 (missing 3.5 games) and you project his regular season stats out over 16 games he would have rushed for roughly 1217 yards and 8 TD's at 4.5 yards per carry. 1217 yards would have placed him 4th most in rushing yards in the NFL in 2018.

Does he make enough big plays? Enough to be one of the most successful rushers in the NFL, so the answer is yes. JAG's don't do that.

Blocking matters, having a legitimate passing threat matters, rushing doesn't happen in a vacuum. The 2019 Patriots were one of the worst run blocking teams in the league until the bye week, or until the season was 2/3rds over and the passing attack was anemic.

Big plays are the result of blocking, not some super power measured by analytics.

sony can’t outrun 300ñb lineman around the outside...watch the tapes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents