PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

San Diego Union Tribune: Brady has reason to be wary of Chargers' defensive backs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't get me wrong, I'd rather be the Pats at home, but there is that guy named Ladanian that makes the Chargers the team that they are. If he goes wild for 150 & 3 TD's, which is clearly possible, it could be a tough day for the Pats. Without Seymour and Harrison on D mind you. However, they still have to try to shutdown the Pats attack, and that's where I think the game will be won. We should put up 20+ on Sunday, without a problem.

The truth of the matter is we really don't know who the hell is going to win. So we try to give ourselves confidence up until gametime, and then we're nervous as hell and "hoping" we kickass.

At least in this type of game with a top notch contender...and the Chargers are absolutely a top notch contender!

The secondary unfortunately, is the weak link in our defense.

Against an average passing game, they look very good. This is due to the fact that they do get a lot of pressure from the front 7 and that will make any secondary look good.

Against a good passing game, a la the Patriots, they look average... but no worse than that. Again, they benefit from a great front 7.

IMO, the secondary can be beat, although it's no cakewalk like some would like you to believe, even with a good QB. Eric Weddle adds a lot of toughness to the secondary when he's in and Florence has made improvements, so don't expect it's the same from last year.

It will come down to a few key plays.

no worries. They're still hutin from the 49 point drubbing at the SB at the hands of 49ers. Charmer fans love to live in the past

I'm a reasonable Chargers fan, but if you want to talk smack...

Charmer fans reliving the past? I have news for you... since we've beaten you in your own home and broke that 21-0 home winning streak, you have not won another Superbowl. Who knows what will happen in the next 10 years, but that beating may have marked the end of your dynasty. Yet you guys still talk about those Superbowls and dynasty...

Either you can talk about your past accomplishments, the Superbowls, and allow other teams to talk about theirs or you don't. You can't have it both ways.

Last edited:
“He'll build you up and make you all comfortable,” McCree said. “And you go out there and it's an air raid.”

This is the funniest part of the article. When Brady effusively praises you - you know you've got a bullseye painted on your back.

I'm sure he said that after watching the tape of the 51-yard Moss completion in triple coverage.

R

Moss was probably the only threat on offense and smothered him. Plus the Raiders didn't have a quarterback.

You make an excellent point. He did not have a good QB in Oakland.

However, here are the reasons why many dislike and doubt Randy Moss, me among them. I'm willing to bet some Patriots fans harbor these feelings as well, but don't dare speak them just yet.

Randy Moss is:

• selfish
  • immature
  • a quitter

We've seen these things even when things were going well in Minnesota and we see the same things get a lot worse in Oakland when things weren't going well.

When things are good:
Randy Moss's production is among the top of all receivers. But you still get his selfishness, his immaturity, and his tendency to quit. It's just that you tend to minimize them. Case in point... even when the Vikings were doing very well, he would b!tch and cry if he felt he didn't get enough balls thrown his way. That's selfish and immature. And in losses, he would just quit and tune out. These things have been documented.

When things are bad:
Randy Moss's production drops by more than 2/3. This is mostly due to the fact that he will not give 100%, let alone 110%. He will ostracize his team and become a cancer in the locker room.

You guys are winning, so he will no doubt produce. But even then I'm willing to bet that we'll hear little quibbles when Welker overshadows him in a game for example, because Moss was double teamed the entire game. However, these things will not be noticed or minimize.

But if you start having some injuries, drop to a .500 team, things will get worse. I feel that your organization is better managed so when things get bad, you'll be quicker to pull the trigger and dump him. It'll be easier because he will only get older as time goes by and that makes it easier as well.

All of this, can play to your opponents even within a single game. My prediction is that if the Chargers pressure Brady and really disrupts Moss early, he will get frustrated and take himself out of the game for us. Covering him will then be like covering any mediocre receiver.

And that's why I don't think Moss is as great as you all think he is. A great receiver that always gives 110% of what he's got, play for the team and doesn't get rattled would be someone like a Jerry Rice, Marvin Harrison, or Tory Holt in my book. Moss isn't in that league.

Feel free to disagree, but please keep it respectable.

I'm a reasonable Chargers fan, but if you want to talk smack...

Charmer fans reliving the past? I have news for you... since we've beaten you in your own home and broke that 21-0 home winning streak, you have not won another Superbowl. Who knows what will happen in the next 10 years, but that beating may have marked the end of your dynasty. Yet you guys still talk about those Superbowls and dynasty...

That's good smack bolt_fan, I'll give you that. but can't any team who has beaten us since the 21 game home wining streak say that? Hell, it was the Steelers who stopped our 21 game winning streak. and that was a much bigger and more impressive streak than 21 straight home games.

Don't flatter yourself into believing the Chargers altered anything in Patriots history. As a matter of fact, I heard my friend FATE say he had the Chargers slotted to win last year's super bowl but even FATE couldn't stop the Pats from beating you.

"“If they don't throw anything right now, Randy Moss isn't going to get anything. We're going to give them quick outs. No digs, no posts, no gos. They won't beat us running the ball. The only way they have a chance to beat us is if we give up the deep ball.”"

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/chargers/20070914-9999-1s14chargers.html

What's interesting to note here is that chargers secondary will be giving us short stuff. And they say it...
They will be playing not to get beat deep.
So keep it in front of them, force them to stop the run with the front 7, keep things short and then play action deep.

read the whole article pls, it include this info:

"In three games against the Chargers since 2002, Brady has been intercepted six times, thrown for five touchdowns and completed 82-of-136 passes for 857 yards. His passer rating of 72.46 in those three games is his worst against any team he has played at least three times since 2002." (even with the help of spyvideotape).:bricks:

"“If they don't throw anything right now, Randy Moss isn't going to get anything. We're going to give them quick outs. No digs, no posts, no gos. They won't beat us running the ball. The only way they have a chance to beat us is if we give up the deep ball.”"

We had no credible deep threat last year - and we beat them with the short passes. What happens when they are sitting back and playing soft - that is when TB is at his best.

I HOPE that this is their strategy - that means Welker and Watson will have a field day underneath. And the Incredible-Shrunken-Boy (3 tackles 0 sacks) will be in coverage - where he's weak.

R

Last edited:
The only reason Brady would have to be wary of Chargers' defensive backs is if the Chargers' defensive backs rounded up a bunch of gorgeous women who refuse to use birth control, THAT would make him nervous.

Thought you guys might enjoy a football article from today's paper that doesn't mention CameraGate:

Tom Brady sees the Chargers defensive backs as they would like to be seen by everyone, as they believe they can and ought to be widely perceived.

The New England Patriots quarterback would have you believe the Chargers' secondary is shortly headed en masse to the Pro Bowl.

“We're facing Drayton Florence and Quentin Jammer and (Antonio) Cromartie and a very talented secondary,” Brady said. “Marlon McCree is doing great, and (Clinton) Hart looks like he's fitting in well now. They've got a bunch of playmakers on defense, especially in the secondary.”

And then, of the defensive backs who had the seventh-fewest interceptions in the league over the past two seasons, he said, “They've got a ball-hawking secondary.”

McCree smiled and shook his head at the mention of Brady's abundant praise.

“He'll build you up and make you all comfortable,” McCree said. “And you go out there and it's an air raid.”

Full article

He is killing them with kindness... :D

It's interesting to note that the SD secondary more than contained Moss in his years with the Raiders, even knocking him out of one game. Then again, I get the feeling he was never giving 100% over there.

And he was playing on the Raiders...what other weapons did they have?

Bingo and this is exactly why McCree is the leader of the Bolts' DB corp. As far as Florence, Jammer, AnCro, McCree and Hart being able to cover Moss, Welker, Watson, Stallworth, Gaffney, Kyle Brady and maybe even D. Thomas.....

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore