PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Chargers fuel the fire: Pats miffed by foes' S/B chatter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Denism

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
By John Tomase

The San Diego Chargers apparently learned nothing from Freddie Mitchell, Mike Vanderjagt and other players who opened their mouths before playing the Patriots in the postseason.

If they had, they would understand that no comment is innocuous enough to avoid setting off the Pats.

The two squads meet in the divisional round tomorrow, and there already are rumblings of discontent in the Patriots locker room regarding a lack of respect from the West Coast, where the Chargers have proclaimed they’re going to the Super Bowl.

“We’ll just lay low and let some guys run their mouth a little bit,” Pats defensive end Richard Seymour [stats] said yesterday. “We’ll do our talking on the field.”

Unlike Mitchell, the former Philadelphia Eagles receiver who memorably said he “had a little something” for Rodney Harrison, or Vanderjagt, the ex-Colts kicker who said the Patriots were “ripe for the picking,” the Chargers haven’t overtly called out the Pats this week.

Instead, the Pats are steaming because of phone calls between receiver Reche Caldwell and some of his former Chargers teammates, who insist they’re going to mop the floor with the Patriots tomorrow.

“They don’t think too highly of us, from what Reche says,” quarterback Tom Brady said.

Caldwell seemed amused by the trash-talk, which he characterized as good-natured, but intent almost is secondary in New England, where the Patriots could find disrespect in a papal blessing.

“I still talk to those guys,” said Caldwell, who played in San Diego from 2002-05. “They’re doing a lot of trash-talking, (saying) they’re getting ready for the Super Bowl and things like that. It’s just friendly conversation. That’s it.

“They think they’re the best team in the league. They’ve got the best record in the league, and they’ve been playing real well in all areas of the game. I think they’re looking past us.”

Chargers tight end Antonio Gates, not considered a stir-it-up type by any stretch, has said in recent days his team plans on going to the Super Bowl. That’s not on par with Steelers coach Bill Cowher instructing his players to make Super Bowl reservations before the 2001 AFC Championship Game - he was being practical, but the Patriots took it as a grave insult - the presumptuousness still bothered a number of Pats, who bit their tongues in print.

Gates, for his part, can’t fathom the hubbub. “Sometimes, as a team, if you need to find something to motivate you, so be it,” he said. “I respect the Patriots. I respect what they’ve done. I respect the dynasty. I respect how they emphasize team, whether they know it or not.

“But let me say, when you say Super Bowl, I don’t think it’s disrespecting the Patriots for us to talk about what our goal is. That’s our goal. That’s been our goal since Day 1. That’s going to continue to be our goal. Beating New England is a step toward our ultimate goal.”

No matter. The underdog Patriots can use it as motivation, just as they’re aware of comments the Chargers made following last season’s 41-17 victory at Gillette Stadium, which ended the Pats’ 21-game home winning streak.

As the Chargers left the field, defensive coordinator Wade Phillips let out a whoop and yelled, “That’s an ass-whupping.”

The next day’s Providence Journal quoted cornerback Drayton Florence admonishing a group of onlookers in the bowels of Gillette: “(Expletive) New England and their team. Get the look of shock off your faces. Don’t be shocked. We beat your ass.”

The Pats might not complain about the comments publicly, but it’s a safe bet they’ve come up in private.

“When they played us last year, (Caldwell) knows exactly what his coach said about us leading up to the game,” Brady said. “But that’s kind of like all of us. There’s a lot of pride you have in yourself. Going up against somebody like when we played the Jets, we didn’t think they were any good. But of course they were. You just have to convince yourself they’re not. That’s just the way it goes.”

The Patriots playing the respect card? Now that’s just the way it goes. Should they prevail tomorrow, they’ll likely have some interesting things to say.

Nice article. Hope the boys are nice and pissed and we get to hear those "intersting things".

By John Tomase
Gates, for his part, can’t fathom the hubbub. “Sometimes, as a team, if you need to find something to motivate you, so be it,” he said. “I respect the Patriots. I respect what they’ve done. I respect the dynasty. I respect how they emphasize team, whether they know it or not.

“But let me say, when you say Super Bowl, I don’t think it’s disrespecting the Patriots for us to talk about what our goal is. That’s our goal. That’s been our goal since Day 1. That’s going to continue to be our goal. Beating New England is a step toward our ultimate goal.”
At least Gates said he respects the dynasty.

At least Gates said he respects the dynasty.

How dare that son of a b**** comment on our non-dynasty dynasty!!!

Rodney is going to be furious reading the paper this morning.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

IMO opinion being miffed at a comment towards your team and team mates means SH!T - Whoever plays better on sunday will win - I do not care if you are pissed off at your opponent,If you don't play better you lose and just because you were insulted does not mean you will play better than the other team who has big mouths,Talent of the team performed and displayed at the right times against thier opponents wins games - not attitudes or P.Oed guys - Thats stupid.

I always thought that the bulletin board material stuff is retarted thinking and just made up by the media to gain attention in the papers or on tv - its BS straight up:bricks:

IMO opinion being miffed at a comment towards your team and team mates means SH!T - Whoever plays better on sunday will win - I do not care if you are pissed off at your opponent,If you don't play better you lose and just because you were insulted does not mean you will play better than the other team who has big mouths,Talent of the team performed and displayed at the right times against thier opponents wins games - not attitudes or P.Oed guys - Thats stupid.

I always thought that the bulletin board material stuff is retarted thinking and just made up by the media to gain attention in the papers or on tv - its BS straight up:bricks:

correct..if we lose will these guy come back and say that the chargers were right in their claims ..nope...
just all part of the spicy new items ..thats all

I could not disagree more.....9/10 pro bowl players from SD versus 1 (count 'em one) from NE?? Brady snubbed for "cry me a" Rivers?? SD giving Caldwell "good natured" ribbing, yet dissing NE at the same time?? SD comments from last year following their victory against us (take a hard look who was missing from that game for NE and who was lost during that game).

If you don't think it means anything - listen to what Seymour had to say and check out Brady's "look" during his last three pressers.

It all adds up - in a game that features teams that are very closely matched - this can indeed make a difference. I know in my business, I get fired up when I confront situations that my own opponent has either taken me to lightly or has tried to insult my abilities.

Last edited:

This is wrong. Machines don't play these games. Human beings play them. If you have a pet, ask your neighbor to run it over with his car. Then ask him to get out of the car and laugh. Now, your dog will still be dead, but in that moment, stop yourself and ask: am I angry? What am I feeling? Is my blood boiling? Is it all just in my head? Or is more adrenaline pumping through my body? The thought: my neighbor is stronger than me, weighs 50 pounds more, would beat my arse on a normal day, may not even occur to you. You may just attack him!

You see, anger and resentment are two very powerful emotions. Talent and skill are more important. But never underestimate the power of resentment. Judging by the people who call radio talk shows, it's also addictive.

Last edited:

Polls don't mean crap, whoever gets the most votes will win.

Prior testing results are meaningless, whoever goes to the exam most prepared will score the highest.

Prior felonies committed are inconseqential, whoever acts as the most law abiding citizen will commit the least crimes.

Prior free throw shooting % means nothing, whoever executes the best will hit the most of their next 50.

Hello captain obvious. Of course whoever plays the best will win! Does that really need to be said?

But there are some tools at hand that some of us use to analyze the matchup and help us formulate an educated opinion. Please excuse us if we do so.

There's nothing new in that article. Nothing the Pats' players didn't already know before they started practicing this week.

So while reading the article may rekindle more feelings of disrespect, it's really just rehashing old bits.

Funny thing to me though is this. When Brady was passed over this year for Pro Bowl status he mentioned that he didn't care about the Pro Bowl and that the Superbowl is the only bowl he cares about.

What's so different about his comments and what the Chargers players are saying? Their goal is the Superbowl. They're mindful of it and they say it out loud. Reche Caldwell takes that as "disrespect"? I doubt that. He's just desperate to beat the team that gave up on him. Because if he doesn't he'll know they were right. OH WELL. I can't wait to see this play out on the field.

Last edited:
Wow... I'm so excited about this game, and can't wait for tomorrow to roll around... I have good vibes coming out of this matchup but it's going to be a dogfight till the end... I wonder if the rookie will have to make the game winning FG?

You're talking about how things SHOULD be, and not how they are. However stupid and silly it may seem, and it may BE, for the Patriots (or anyone else) to derive "motivation" through bulletin board material - however phony or contrived or manufactured - it, for whatever reason, provides a boost to this team. ALWAYS. So why give them any kind of edge, even if you don't approve of that edge?

And then in this article, Caldwell pretty much admits that there hasn't been any trash talk yet... but that there could be some on the field when the game starts:
Reche has no regrets about days in San Diego

So it's all just BS being kicked up by the media. Maybe Florence and Wade Phillips did bark at the crowd last year, but that's what you do after a win and the crowd is screaming crap at you.

Polls don't mean crap, whoever gets the most votes will win.

Prior testing results are meaningless, whoever goes to the exam most prepared will score the highest.

Prior felonies committed are inconseqential, whoever acts as the most law abiding citizen will commit the least crimes.

Prior free throw shooting % means nothing, whoever executes the best will hit the most of their next 50.

Hello captain obvious. Of course whoever plays the best will win! Does that really need to be said?

But there are some tools at hand that some of us use to analyze the matchup and help us formulate an educated opinion. Please excuse us if we do so.

Lol! Well said! Everything Patriot64 has said about the irrelevancy of statistics, etc to the actual course of the game can be equally applied to all pre-game utterances; even more so to his own. Why even bother reading, let alone posting? Just watch the game when it's on and leave the rest of us to our curious pre-game pursuits.

Last edited:
I thought this was funny, from the Herald:
“Reche hasn’t talked to anybody on this team,” safety Marlon McCree claimed. “Reche’s just trying to incite a riot. He might do that for that team. But it doesn’t matter what they say. We know they’re a great team. They’ve won three of the last (five) Super Bowls. They have Bill Belichick drawing up schemes, and Tom Brady. We know we have our work cut out for us.”
“(Bill) Belichick and Tom Brady use reverse psychology, telling us how great we are.. . . They build you up just to cut you down. And we ain’t falling for it,” McCree said. “We ain’t got no Super Bowl rings, and they got three. So they’re the team to beat.”
Can't fool McCree, I guess ;) I do think it's amusing that the Chargers have basically said nothing disrespectful, but the Patriots have whipped themselves into a frenzy anyway. Can't wait to see how they come out tomorrow.

http://patriots.bostonherald.com/otherNFL/view.bg?articleid=176941

after the game sunday night the patriots will have nothing to say its going to be a long flight home.

they didnt buy into the respect card we played leading up to the game. next year we try to piss them off instead.

ne does not match up well with sd. we are copying your teams success formula but with the only difference is that we are actually going to keep our star players.

good luck sunday

sd 34- 20

This Pats team thrives off disrespect. I think you will see one fired up NE squad this Sunday. May god have mercy on the Chargers because the Pats surely won't! Let's go Pats!! Rip em a new one and do it for Rodney! :rocker:

My guess is that you never played the game then. Believe me your emotions DO have an effect on your play. If you are pissed there is an extra pop in your hits, ect. If you can get pissed, "jacked up" with bulliten board material then it deffinitely helps you out of the gate. Talent is by far the biggest factor but why do athletes say they respond to cheering or the 12th man? Its the same thing.

I really like this quote...

"but intent almost is secondary in New England, where the Patriots could find disrespect in a papal blessing.
"

after the game sunday night the patriots will have nothing to say its going to be a long flight home.
we are copying your teams success formula but with the only difference is that we are actually going to keep our star players.

Huh...why didn't we think of that? Keep your stars, hmm...It's true, though: I do miss Brady, Seymour, Brown, Vrabel, Bruschi, Koppen, Wilfork, etc. Can't believe we let them all go!

For the record, here's a short list ex-Chargers still playing well in the NFL: Drew Brees, Rodney Harrison, Reche Caldwell, Junior Seau (sort of), DeMingo Graham, John Parrella, and so on. More will join them...that's the NFL.

Yeah, weird how the Pats keep spending to the cap and still losing all the star players.... wait, that must mean their value increases while IN NEW ENGLAND... I guess people will pay for super bowl experience, huh?

Pats64, read a few of your posts, and noted you liked the word "retarted." That's fine, but it's spelled "******ed." Just saw it way too many times for comfort, and the ex-English major in me had to comment, no matter how geeky it makes me look.

I think Gates' comment should be understood this way... he defines the respect for the Pats by the 2001, 2003, and 2004 super bowls.. so in his own snide, backhanded, tricky, disrespectful, despicable, San Diego way, he's saying the Patriots have no chance of ever beating this Chargers team, and that he's discounted New England this year and has zero respect for the team as it's performed since then.

Sic em.

PFnV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back