PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ben Volin a.k.a MCI: Give credit to Dallas....they did a good job of slowing down our offense

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soul_Survivor88

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2...fM/story.html?p1=Article_Trending_Most_Viewed

I know it's frowned upon to quote journalists who've been unfairly biased against the Patriots, but I got to admit, this was a great summary of Dallas' gameplan against the Patriots offense. I'm really impressed with how well the Cowboys did against us in that 1st half. So before you bombard me with "you should know better...." please at least consider reading these excerpts that I've placed in quotes, and tell me if you agree

(look on the bright side, this way you actually won't have to click on the article ;))

The Patriots had tremendous field position in the first half — three of their seven drives started on the 40 or better, and another one on the 38 — yet they only had 13 points to show for it. A drive that started on the Cowboys’ 45-yard line ended in an un-Patriot-like field goal, and four of their drives stalled with punts.

Bill Belichick explained that the Cowboys gave the Patriots “a look we hadn’t seen them do before” — a 3-2-6 defense that smothered the Patriots’ receivers and forced the quick-triggered Tom Brady to hold onto the football longer than usual.

This alignment caused the Patriots problems for several reasons:

■ With the Cowboys defensive backs playing press-man coverage, the Patriots receivers had a tough time getting off the line of scrimmage, disrupting Brady’s timing. Brady kept patting the ball, waiting for his receivers to get open, and he took five sacks in the first half, after taking just six in the first three games.

■ The Cowboys knew Brady would try to get the ball out of his hands even quicker, and hoped it would affect his accuracy. That’s where having six defensive backs really helped — lots of athletic bodies all over the field, ready to knock down the pass or make a quick tackle.

■ Playing only a three-man front also allowed defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli to get creative with his blitzes, and the Patriots didn’t block it well. Linebacker Rolando McClain and defensive tackles Tyrone Crawford and Jack Crawford each had sacks up the middle against the Patriots’ four young offensive linemen — third-year pro Josh Kline and rookies David Andrews, Shaq Mason, and Tre’ Jackson.

■ And the Cowboys brought great speed off the edges with Greg Hardy, Demarcus Lawrence, and Jeremy Mincey. Hardy, playing in his first game back from a four-game suspension, embarrassed left tackle Nate Solder repeatedly, blowing past him for two sacks, a forced fumble, and a bone-rattling quarterback hit in the first half. Hardy had two more quarterback hits in the second half, when Marcus Cannon replaced Solder, who injured his elbow. Overall, Brady was sacked five times and hit eight times.

■ The Cowboys definitely showed that the Patriots can be stopped. You need speedy pass rushers coming around the edge, a dominant nose tackle that can handle a triple team (Tyrone Crawford said he took on three offensive linemen for much of the game), athletic linebackers that can drop into coverage, a deep secondary that can roll six or seven deep, and a big defensive back who can hang with Gronkowski, as rookie Byron Jones did Sunday. Jones, listed at 6 feet and 205 pounds, was the first defender to slow down Gronkowski this season, holding Gronk to a pedestrian four catches for 67 yards by using the Patriots’ favorite tactic — unpredictability. “Just tried to use my hands, and tried to switch it up a little bit — play him on, play him off,” Jones said. “Just try to give him a different look every play.”

meh........the pats should have identified superior number in the box and just ran it.......with Mason starting, it appeared they were set to do exactly that, but came out throwing

I think it boiled down to the Cowboys defense coming out all jacked up at home with Hardy and McClain returning and they blew their load in the first half.

"The Cowboys definitely showed that the Patriots can be stopped. " There is nothing new here frankly. Teams have stopped the pats before and this offense can also be stopped if the other team has the players to execute this plan for 60 mins. Look at the jets playoff game which rex won against us. Same game plan. Every offense can be stopped for a period of time. Question is can you score and put scoreboard pressure and if you can do it for 60 mins.
People were critiquing every play call yesterday from JMcD as if he was todd haley or marc trestman after saying that they were thankful about the pats coaches after last thursday's game but I think he did a fine job adjusting with a young line.

How many teams have all of those components on D and enough on O to actually win? Obviously Dallas, when Romo and Bryant are back. Green Bay. Clinton-Dix had his moments against Gronk last year. As for the AFC, Cincinnati, maybe, although not sure they have the depth in the secondary. Also not sure if they have a Byron Jones type who can deal with Gronk one on one. Certainly don't think that Iloka or Nelson could handle the job.

Quick thoughts:
Sure looked like 4 and 5 DL on the LOS in the 1st half.
I am always puzzled how little "play action" is utilized by McDaniels.
Solder didn't look like a $10 mill LT last year and certainly not yesterday.
Given that NE dressed only 3 legit WRs......the game plan was never to bust loose offensively. Verses crappy backup QB, crappy WRs, crappy RBs.....be patient, win field position battle, take advantage of opportunities/mistakes while utilizing a very vanilla game plan. IMO, NE utilized the bye focusing on Indy.... and Dallas was seen as a tiny speed bump in the way...except....BB did beef up his D line for Dallas.....and dominated them.
In no way did BB ever fear Dallas' skill players

Dallas' offense certainly did them no favors keeping Brady on the field all day.

I hate when the MMQBs roll this out.

The Cowboys definitely showed that the Patriots can be stopped. You need speedy pass rushers coming around the edge, a dominant nose tackle that can handle a triple team (Tyrone Crawford said he took on three offensive linemen for much of the game), athletic linebackers that can drop into coverage, a deep secondary that can roll six or seven deep, and a big defensive back who can hang with Gronkowski, as rookie Byron Jones did Sunday. Jones, listed at 6 feet and 205 pounds, was the first defender to slow down Gronkowski this season, holding Gronk to a pedestrian four catches for 67 yards by using the Patriots’ favorite tactic — unpredictability. “Just tried to use my hands, and tried to switch it up a little bit — play him on, play him off,” Jones said. “Just try to give him a different look every play.”

First of all....the Patriots were not stopped. They scored 13 first half points and put up a 30 burger with almost 400yds of total offense.

You need two speedy rushers.
You need a dominant NT that can swallow 2+ OLs
You need speedy LBs that can drop in coverage.
You need a ton of quality depth in the secondary that can play nickle and dime all game and cover
You need a big DB that can cover Gronk

While I agree with this and the 'Boys were successful slowing down the Pats, the Cowboys do not have that personnel in spades. No one does.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: PP2
The Boys confused them for a while. But giving up 30-points "shows" that the Patriots can be "stopped"? only 3 teams in the NFL this year average more than 30/game.

Volin is an idiot. The Cowboys are a legit defense with some great players - Hardy and McClain coming back certainly didn't hurt them. Hardy is a miserable human being, but he's a beast on the field, and McClain gives them great flexibility.

"holding Gronk to a pedestrian four catches for 67 yards"...umm, over 16 games, that would be 1,072 yards...for a tight end.

I hate early bye weeks especially with how our offense was clicking b4 the bye. I knew it was going to be rusty to start and same thing happens with the week off in the playoffs.

Overall, it's a good article, but I don't think it showed that the Patriots can be stopped as much as it showed the Patriots offense is chameleon like and can adjust to the defense. They were unprepared for the defensive scheme, and I think unprepared for Hardy's dominating play. However, they changed up the offense and scored 27 points in the last 33 minutes of the game. It also gave them a good look at this defensive scheme and experience with it. It was a tough fought game which will only make them stronger and the fact they still scored 30 points and won by 24 points is extremely encouraging.

And the only way another team can be successful with that scheme is if they have a Hardy type of talent at DE who can blow by Solder with ease. There aren't too many guys like that. Also, keep in mind Lafell will be back in two weeks which will add another dynamic to the offense.

The pats came off a bye and their 4 game of the year. We were 2-2 last year this exact week wondering if we'd even go .500. If lettin Brady score 30 points is slowing them down, man that's still a good day against a legit D.

That's really the main reason we lost. The defense was exceptional, but they're human. They were on the field the entire game and juts got worn to a nub.
Yeah I think with Romo and Dez this would have been quite the game.

Hope so! I actually like Dallas. Romo has always gotten too much flack.

Honestly, I don't know how anyone can hate on Romo after this. The two times in his career he's been out for an extended period of time, the team is literally complete garbage.

Our Top-5 offense magically disappeared once his clavicle snappy snapped.

The Boys confused them for a while. But giving up 30-points "shows" that the Patriots can be "stopped"? only 3 teams in the NFL this year average more than 30/game.

Volin is an idiot. The Cowboys are a legit defense with some great players - Hardy and McClain coming back certainly didn't hurt them. Hardy is a miserable human being, but he's a beast on the field, and McClain gives them great flexibility.

"holding Gronk to a pedestrian four catches for 67 yards"...umm, over 16 games, that would be 1,072 yards...for a tight end.
You could really see why BB wanted McClain. When he is out there playing hard he is very, very good.

Here's to a Super Bowl rematch, both teams at full strength.
I really think that is a possibility. With each team's full compliment of players, GB, AZ, SEA and DAL are the class of the NFC.

NYG with Cruz and OB will be a force but their D is trash.

Honestly I find it hard for Dallas to get to the sb with romos injury takin him out for a long time.

He'll be back week 11. We just need to be .500 when he comes back and we'll win the NFCE easily.

Cassel will likely get the start next game.

OMG I just read that Gangsta Garrett said "Brandon didn't play well enough". Jason Garrett never says anything negative, he just stares at players when he's angry at them and they immediately feel their soul slipping away.

Cassel will definitely get the start vs NYG.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey