PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Sally Jenkins Nails It Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paragraph before it is pretty excellent too:

The NFL’s entire legal argument in the court of Judge Richard M. Berman over the last few weeks is that this commissioner’s powers are so unlimited that even a federal judge must bow to him. NFL attorney Dan Nash said on Goodell’s behalf during a hearing this week, “The findings of the commissioner are entitled to deference.” Now, that’s rich. It was Goodell and the NFL that brought this idiotic case into Berman’s courtroom in the first place. And now it’s telling him he has no right to rule in it.

The NFL’s entire legal argument in the court of Judge Richard M. Berman over the last few weeks is that this commissioner’s powers are so unlimited that even a federal judge must bow to him. NFL attorney Dan Nash said on Goodell’s behalf during a hearing this week, “The findings of the commissioner are entitled to deference.” Now, that’s rich. It was Goodell and the NFL that brought this idiotic case into Berman’s courtroom in the first place. And now it’s telling him he has no right to rule in it.

It is very rich. They've basically stopped short of saying "this isn't government's business" when they are the one's that ran to the government.

My favorite part;

“I don’t know what Judge Berman’s stylistic preferences are but if I went to law school, got awesome grades, worked worked worked, went through the process to get named as a federal court judge, decided many actually important cases, and then was asked to make a decision in a case that should have been settled that is this profoundly dumb, I would torch the NFL in flames that would make hades look like a refrigerator.”

I really like this paragraph especially the last line.

As Houston-based attorney and NFL blogger Stephanie Stradley observes, “I don’t know what Judge Berman’s stylistic preferences are but if I went to law school, got awesome grades, worked worked worked, went through the process to get named as a federal court judge, decided many actually important cases, and then was asked to make a decision in a case that should have been settled that is this profoundly dumb, I would torch the NFL in flames that would make hades look like a refrigerator.”

The NFL’s entire legal argument in the court of Judge Richard M. Berman over the last few weeks is that this commissioner’s powers are so unlimited that even a federal judge must bow to him. NFL attorney Dan Nash said on Goodell’s behalf during a hearing this week, “The findings of the commissioner are entitled to deference.” Now, that’s rich. It was Goodell and the NFL that brought this idiotic case into Berman’s courtroom in the first place.

(And now it’s telling him he has no right to rule in it.)
I was about to post this myself, its an insight i don't think anyone has brought up until now.

My favorite part;

“I don’t know what Judge Berman’s stylistic preferences are but if I went to law school, got awesome grades, worked worked worked, went through the process to get named as a federal court judge, decided many actually important cases, and then was asked to make a decision in a case that should have been settled that is this profoundly dumb, I would torch the NFL in flames that would make hades look like a refrigerator.”
Not to be pedantic here, but that was Sally quoting Stephanie Stradley, whose zingers are truly refreshing in all this madness.

When you think about it along those lines, it is pretty freaking stupid.

Excellent. Haven't even read it yet and I already know this will be the highlight of my day.

This is what every hater is still saying about the wells report ;)

Another beauty....

''There are narrow grounds for overturning arbitration, but this case appears to meet plenty of them. The judge can throw it out if he finds Brady’s rights were prejudiced by corruption, fraud or misconduct.''

Naw, none of that ever happened:rolleyes:

It’s about basic procedural fairness, whether Goodell has the right to inflict a vindictive and capricious punishment on Brady based on no evidence at all — it’s not even clear the game balls in the AFC Championship game were deflated by a few whiffs of air — simply because he wants to prove he can make the league’s best quarterback kiss his ring.

Aaahhhh...

While Goodell has sweeping powers to issue player discipline under the CBA, Berman made it clear he does not have the right to willfully misstate and mislead, gin up phony investigations based on pseudo-science, and then issue Draconian four-game suspensions simply because he’s furious Brady and the New England Patriots don’t say, “All hail to the emperor.”

that_was_awesome_tommy_boy.gif

It’s also likely that Goodell pressed this case because he is so accustomed to getting preferential treatment and political cover in civic arenas. States, cities, and most of Congress are such panting NFL fans that they are willing to put up with any amount of extortionist behavior from the league, which demands massive public funding for stadiums and all kinds of tax breaks, or threatens to move franchises. The league has long behaved as if it’s entitled to special carve-outs, exceptions and protections simply because of its popularity. It’s used to operating with impunity and without federal interference, whether doling out painkillers in violation of Drug Enforcement Administration regulations, or utterly ignoring OSHA requirements on reporting workplace injuries.

She just described FIFA to a T, and aren't they currently under RICO investigation.. hmm.

Why is Berman still trying to help the NFL by having them settle?He chewed out the NFL for not letting Pash be cross examined(this alone
is reason to vacate)his words.Is he trying to avoid all the paperwork
that he has coming his way?

I am at the point where I expect Brady to lose this case. On the bright side, the NFL's BS was exposed. But I just don't think the judge will overturn the suspension. I just don't have any faith that there will be justice for us. These bastards hold all the cards and they are going to get away with this.:mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3