PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Salary Cap Increase

Status
Not open for further replies.

solman

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
AdamJT13 has reported on KFFL that the 2007 salary cap has been increased by $134,000 to $109,134,000.

Because this adjustment is being applied equally to all teams, Adam doubts that this is a consequence of the cash adjustment mechanism in the new CBA.

On this point he is probably wrong. If teams (in aggregate) spend over the cash cap, they are penalized on a per team basis. If teams spend under the cash cap, all teams receive the benefit of the adjustment.

That means that in each capped year under the current CBA or through 2011 if it is extended, the cap will be increased by $134,000 for each team (over and beyond what the cap would otherwise have been).

I had expected the Patriots to receive a modest cash over cap penalty, and I believe that Reiss attributed the same sentiment to Jonathan Kraft towards the end of the season.

Its hard to predict what will happen next year. Obviously all these big FA deals come with large signing bonuses that count aginst the cash cap. But much of the guaranteed money is being paid out in future years, presumably to avoid a cash cap penalty.

My guess would be that the few teams (like the Patriots) who were paying attention to the cash cap, will take it somewhat less seriously during the remainder of the 2007 season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back