PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

S.I. article on Brady

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: S.I article on Brady

I agree about the dedication, "BUT!!" the more time you spend with someone the better you pick up on their mannerisms, their reaction times, you get more in tune with their abilities, their inabilities what they can or can not do. The more time you spend with someone the better you know them and understand them you become like a machine so in tune people accuse you of cheating because your so good. & they dont know why .. or why they cant beat you? . so in my humble opinion the less he is at the practices the less he becomes more in tune with the new guys especially . the more time you spend with a person, the more you learn and there is no end to the amount you can learn from another person! ... Just my 2 cents. P.S. "I still need that Autograph Brady!!!!!"" P.S I'm sure he is working out just as hard where ever he is doing it [/I]
Seriously, does Brady need to be here like he was in 2002 working on improving his armstrength and learning how to throw better? I don't see this as a lack of dedication at all. I see it as a priority shift to his family, but not a lack of dedication to football. When he is here, he works as hard or harder than anyone else.

Brady isn't the only player who spends much of his offseason away from the team. Richard Seymour when he was here spent every offseason in NC. Peyton Manning lives in Metairie, Lousiana in the offseason. We know that Favre forever heads to Kilne, MS during the offseason. Drew Brees trains in San Deigo his offseasons.

As for what Brady does while he is away from the team, just like every player who is a father, he has parenting duties. But to think he isn't busting his butt at least 3-4 days a week at the UCLA facilities training for the season is ridiculous. Brady is still training hard for the season, he just does it close to his family. Many players do. He isn't jetsetting with Gisselle every week or babysitting his son all day.

People confuse Brady deciding to train close to his family to him basically forgetting about football all together from the last game he plays til minicamp. I am sure Brady has done more physical activity by 9AM most week days this offseason than most of us do in a week.

Attachments

• P5030070.jpg
    P5030070.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 193
Last edited:
Some people simply do not live in the real world, nor have they ever played a sport a day in their lives. It was a good article about a special player (one who has a very rare balance of greatness on and off the field with a great moral compass and family values), but this place ceases to amaze me with its ability to spin everything into a negative. I'm sure there is some sort of complex responsible for it.

I do not doubt for a second that TB is committed to the team. Just because he works out in California, so that when he not exercising he can be with his sons, doesn't mean he isn't committed. I fully expect him to be pushing the same weights for the same period of time that he would be in Foxboro. OK he wont be with his team mates every day but he certainly has demonstrated commitment throughout his career. I have to believe that RK and BB "TRUST" that his commitment is real, wherever he works out.

I work in DC but live in CT, and once a week I WFH (work from home). I arrange my meetings accordingly but I am no less committed to my employer on the day I am in CT than when I am on site; if a job has to be done then it still has to be done and I am expected and trusted to deliver.

The same holds true for TB, and what is more he is a team captain and has every reason to call out lack of commitment from younger team members. This is not hypocrisy at all. He has demonstrated commitment for close to 10 years and it is unreasonable to question it now that he is WFH.

If you read the article, he said he is doing what McGinest and Harrison did when they had family responsibilities out of state. Are you saying they weren't effective leaders? Did anyone ever question their commitment to football? I don't remember that.

Seriously, what do you think Brady is doing this offseason every day at UCLA? Do you think he and Welker are oggling women while Brady pushes the stroller? No! He is working out just like he would in Foxboro. He isn't spending less time preparing for the season. That is just something people are making up in their heads. He is just spending it away from Foxboro and working on different aspects of himself than he was in 2002.

As for leadership, do you really think if during the season that Brady tries to coach up Tate or another young guy are they going to respond "I don't need to listen to you because you weren't at the offseason program"?

Personally, I think if article had Brady talking about how he works harder in CA than he ever did in Foxboro, you would still say that he isn't committed because he is in Foxboro. What that article is Peter King's take on the interview. He asked the questions and he took out the quotes he wanted to. We have no idea what was asked and what was answered. King may not have asked about his work out regiment and he may have only asked about how his family responsibilities has changed him.

It wasn't like Brady said that he doesn't think of football as a top priority. He just said that his family is his top priority. What human with a soul and kids wouldn't say that? Seriously, what would would people think of the guy if he said "You know I love my kids, but hey they ain't football. I got plenty of time to spend with them when I retire, but I can only play football for so long. I'm sure they will understand when they grow up."

When Brady is with the team, he is still the first one at the gym and the last to leave. Heck, he made it on time the day after his son was born during a blizzard when others were sent home for being late. I am sure he is showing that same commitment working out in California.

Seriously, do you really blame the guy for wanting to be near his son during the offseason and working out with trainers in CA? A large number of players workout during the offseason in different parts of the country. No one questions Welker's commitments eventhough he is working out with Brady and not the team. There seems to be a double standard.

This is the biggest non-story going. I doubt one of Brady's teammates doubt his commitment to the team. If the Pats were that concerned with him being away, they would figure out a way to get him here. I'm sure Kraft would allow him to use his jet to fly back and forth weekends and have him on schedule where he spends a couple weeks here and a couple weeks in CA. Brady by all accounts is the biggest competitor on the team and can't even stand losing a game of dominoes. He is one player you do not have to worry about his commitment to winning.

I don't believe the McGinest and Harrison comparisons hold any weight. They are different players and different people. The best comparison is today's Tom Brady vs. 01-07 Tom Brady. The 01-07 version considered it very important to be involved in the offseason program. He was one of the most frequent participants. I don't care what Brady's numbers were last year, he was not the same player in the 4th quarter he has been. How many stupid, "What the hell was he thinking?" interceptions did he throw late in games last year? Through Jan 3 of last season, Brady was ranked #20 in the NFL in 4th qtr QB rating. I don't blame this solely on his lack of participation in the offseason program, but I do consider it a factor. Sure he did miss the 08 season, but that was all the more reason to spend as much time as possible getting on the same page as his WRs/TEs/RBs. Tom Brady is not a naturally talented NFL QB. He has gotten to where he is by outworking everyone else, and playing in an offense that has multiple receiving options where everyone must be on the same page. His choice to workout on his own hinders both of those variables. If working out on his own was good enough, why would there be an offseason program? Tom Brady is not naturally talented enough to get by working less than he has in the past. As he continues to vere from what got him to where he was, his results will continue to suffer. I know it is just speculation, but do you think he becomes who he is if, after his first Superbowl, he decides he can get just as much done working on the UCLA campus away from Foxboro?

Last edited:
Some people simply do not live in the real world, nor have they ever played a sport a day in their lives. It was a good article about a special player (one who has a very rare balance of greatness on and off the field with a great moral compass and family values), but this place ceases to amaze me with its ability to spin everything into a negative. I'm sure there is some sort of complex responsible for it.

I hope I didn't offend or mislead anyone with those facts, I didn't even read the article emoney is referring to. I just merely commented on a comment, If your referring to me emoney, I in fact played football all through high school in the 80's,It was a lot of fun, but it was the Military that got my skills. As far as that "great moral compass & family values" Perhaps now that might be true but, I bet Bridget and their son John might beg to differ on that statement. I dont think people mean to be negative on this site. At least I do not However when & if you speak the truth these days one cant help or avoid being negative in some aspect. I suppose you could sugar coat it a little, but then is that telling the entire truth? Negative or not I try to tell it like it is. Now for what its worth ... I Still need that Autograph Mr.Tom Brady!!!

Last edited:

I don't believe the McGinest and Harrison comparisons hold any weight. They are different players and different people. The best comparison is today's Tom Brady vs. 01-07 Tom Brady. The 01-07 version considered it very important to be involved in the offseason program. He was one of the most frequent participants. I don't care what Brady's numbers were last year, he was not the same player in the 4th quarter he has been. How many stupid, "What the hell was he thinking?" interceptions did he throw late in games last year? Through Jan 3 of last season, Brady was ranked #20 in the NFL in 4th qtr QB rating. I don't blame this solely on his lack of participation in the offseason program, but I do consider it a factor. Sure he did miss the 08 season, but that was all the more reason to spend as much time as possible getting on the same page as his WRs/TEs/RBs. Tom Brady is not a naturally talented NFL QB. He has gotten to where he is by outworking everyone else, and playing in an offense that has multiple receiving options where everyone must be on the same page. His choice to workout on his own hinders both of those variables. If working out on his own was good enough, why would there be an offseason program? Tom Brady is not naturally talented enough to get by working less than he has in the past. As he continues to vere from what got him to where he was, his results will continue to suffer. I know it is just speculation, but do you think he becomes who he is if, after his first Superbowl, he decides he can get just as much done working on the UCLA campus away from Foxboro?

First of all, I don't think Brady was an active participant in 2007 volunatary offseason program nor did he win the offseason award. I think your inclusion of that year as a year he was an active participant may be incorrect.

Second of all, I think comparing last year to him from 2001 to 2007 as proof that skipping the voluntary offseason program affects his game. So him coming off a year off, an ACL replacement, and breaking his ribs and finger during the season had nothing to do with his performance last year and it was all because he wasn't at the offseason programs? Are you really going to argue that? It was clear that those issues probably had more to do with his uneven season than missing the voluntary offseason workouts.

Third, I agree that Brady is not the most naturally gifted QB, but what makes him great is not his physical skills, it is his mental skills. It is his ability to read defenses, make quick decisions, feel the pocket pressure, and know just how just when to release the ball. Most of that stuff can either be worked on anywhere (studying game film) or cannot be done in the offseason (hard to practice feeling the pressure and releasing the ball at the right time when there is no contact).

Fourth, I personally don't think comparing Brady now to Brady in 2001 or 2002 is any more relevant than comparing Brady to McGinest. Early in Brady's career, the guy had a noodle arm and had problems throwing for distance. Brady has a cannon of an arm now.

Yes, it would be better if Brady was in the offseason program. Is it the end of the world that he isn't? I seriously doubt it. Does it mean he has lost his passion for football? Of course not. I can point to plenty of times last year where he was the most firey player on the field and on the sidelines.

Again, people take Brady entering a different stage of his life as proof that he doesn't care about football anymore. There is no evidence of that. Everything Brady says disproves that. The fact that the day after his son was born that he braved a blizzard to be at the morning meeting on time when others weren't supports that (name the new fathers that you know personally that showed up to work the day after their child was born). It is the biggest non-story that has been going.

I agree about the dedication, "BUT!!" the more time you spend with someone the better you pick up on their mannerisms, their reaction times, you get more in tune with their abilities, their inabilities what they can or can not do. The more time you spend with someone the better you know them and understand them you become like a machine so in tune people accuse you of cheating because your so good. & they dont know why .. or why they cant beat you? . so in my humble opinion the less he is at the practices the less he becomes more in tune with the new guys especially . the more time you spend with a person, the more you learn and there is no end to the amount you can learn from another person! ... Just my 2 cents. P.S. "I still need that Autograph Brady!!!!!"" P.S I'm sure he is working out just as hard where ever he is doing it [/i]

Would it be better if Brady was here during the offseason? Yes. But I think Brady is here enough during the offseason that it won't be a huge issue. Brady does spend time in Foxboro during the offseason, just not all the time. He has been here multiple times this offseason already and just not mandatory practices.

I for one can't believe Brady isn't in attendance for every offseason activity.

The article, particulary where Brady says the team needs to listen to Belichick more, makes you wonder just how fractured/disfunctional the lockerroom was last season. We know that AD was not the only 'cancer' last year, so you have to wonder who the others were.

Springs and Burgess were both involved in 'lategate' and Springs was seen apparently mocking the team on camera after one of last year's losses. I wonder if they release him this year--if Wheatley is good to go, Springs could be cut if he hasn't changed his tune.

Burgess has has not been re-signed [in what would appear to be a no-brainer considering our OLB/DE situation[. I think he could contribute a lot on D this year so I hope that he's on board and they bring him back.

Moss (??). Seemed to really check out for long stretches of 2009, in spite of what BB and Brady said publicly. Welker has been very high profile w/ Brady in the off-season [working out w/ Brady in spite of being injured] whereas Moss has been totally MIA. Don't know if it means anything or not.

Guyton's the other 'lategate' guy, but looks like he's going to be demoted anyway. I wonder if there were any other guys that weren't buying what BB was selling in 2009.

The feety pajama crowd, are so uneducated. The rumor is that the franchise tag is going as a concession by owners for the rookie cap. If Brady isn't locked up by the bye he's gone. I don't think you guys realize Giselle Buchen is huge celebrity model. She wants to be in New York or LA. Tom has two kids on the West Coast. He's stuck in Boston a minimum of 5 1/2 months a year. And that's pretty much straight. He could go to Arizona, Dallas, and maybe a re-located LA franchise (Minnesota) as well. Also, the word is Tom is in no hurry to cut a deal right now, because he's not sure where he wants to live. This should have been done 2 years ago, but once again the Pats are late. I would say less than 50% he's back. Feety crowd, I know you love Tommy, I love Tommy, but he has 3 championships, the Pats are not an elite team anymore, he's a west coast guy, and he has two kids on the Coast. Do you really think he wants to be in Foxboro half the year. Players don't look at things the way fans do you morons.

Obviously you don't have a wife and kids or else you wouldn't be asking that question.

The feety pajama crowd, are so uneducated. The rumor is that the franchise tag is going as a concession by owners for the rookie cap. If Brady isn't locked up by the bye he's gone. I don't think you guys realize Giselle Buchen is huge celebrity model. She wants to be in New York or LA. Tom has two kids on the West Coast. He's stuck in Boston a minimum of 5 1/2 months a year. And that's pretty much straight. He could go to Arizona, Dallas, and maybe a re-located LA franchise (Minnesota) as well. Also, the word is Tom is in no hurry to cut a deal right now, because he's not sure where he wants to live. This should have been done 2 years ago, but once again the Pats are late. I would say less than 50% he's back. Feety crowd, I know you love Tommy, I love Tommy, but he has 3 championships, the Pats are not an elite team anymore, he's a west coast guy, and he has two kids on the Coast. Do you really think he wants to be in Foxboro half the year. Players don't look at things the way fans do you morons.

Spoken like the ultimate troll fan moron you are.

Gisele sold both of her New York homes and in an interview said Boston was her home now. They are building a mansion in Brentwood to be closer to John.

First of all, I don't think Brady was an active participant in 2007 volunatary offseason program nor did he win the offseason award. I think your inclusion of that year as a year he was an active participant may be incorrect.

In fact, Belichick instructed him and several veterans to get away from the game that off season because of what that effort (going to the SB undefeated) had drained out of them mentally and emotionally as well as physically.

Gisele sold both of her New York homes and in an interview said Boston was her home now. They are building a mansion in Brentwood to be closer to John.

They have also put the condo in the Back Bay on the market and reportedly purchased a slightly smaller version of the California mansion in Brookline that is better suited to their lives these days as parents - during the season as well as in the off season.

There is a substantial difference between what Brady is doing and why, and what Warren decided to do this season and why. The difference being Ty was under no obligation to remain in Texas to do what he wanted to do. Nor were his wife and kids under any obligation to remain in Texas - we have decent schools here.... He also could have waited to do complete his degree until his career was over. Could have done it here. But he stated from the outset he would not be participating in ANY of the voluntary off season activities this season - only those that were mandatory. Despite the fact that there was a leadership crisis on defense last season...

Brady has already been here a couple of weeks and is here this week and will be here again over and above attending mandatory mini camp as often as his custody agreement permits. He is limited as to the time he spends here vs. in California in the off season under terms of his custody agreement unless he wants to jeopardize his joint custody and visitation with his oldest son going forward.

And just to be clear, the leadership void and lack of commumication that plagued this team last season occurred primarily on a defense that is now getting younger in consecutive offseasons. What plagued the offense last season was injuries and insufficient depth on an essentially well established offense, neither of which Brady could do anything about.

Most veterans who live out of state in the offseason fly in on Monday and fly out by Friday. Like BB said, some guys are in more early on while others are in more later on. Some guys do more than the minumum while they are here. Brady continues to be one of those. When he's in he is in from roughly dawn to dusk. I'm sure this week he will be re-establishing his acquaintance with Patten if he hasn't already and getting to know Crumpler who has just arrived himself after getting in shape privately, and tossing the ball around and watching film with guys like Tate and Edleman and anyone else who is in.

Ty will catch up with his new teamates and all the new or young faces on defense and any new installations on the defense in mid June during mandatory mini camp.

Tedy was one of the few veterans who lived here year round from the day he arrived, yet despite being the ultimate leader he never once won a parking spot...

Show me one place where the franchise tag is going to be a concession for the rookie cap. It is doubtful the league will give up the franchise tag for a rookie cap. In fact, the players want shorter lengths of rookie contracts in return for a rookie cap, not the repeal of the franchise tag (although they want that too, but it is dubtful they will get it).

But I am glad you know so much about Brady. Apparently you and he are close friends. Didn't realize Will McDonough trolls this board (I bet you have no clue who the guy is).

Most players want to stay with one team for their career unless their team is a train wreck like the Raiders. Brady's legacy is better suited for him to stay here. He and Kraft really like each other. There will most likely be a franchise tag with a new CBA.

BTW, if I remember correctly, you are a Colts fan. Shouldn't you worry about Manning? Seriously who want to live in Indiana by choice?

Last edited:
honestly people, in general early OTA's have about as much impact on the season as this message board does. It benefits the rookies and newcomers a bit but in reality it's not that big of a deal. But as fanatics I guess every sneeze is a huge deal.

I thought this was a good point by King:

The Patriots are in a weird spot. They have a team 90 percent of the owners (and most fan bases) in the league would die for. They won three of the last nine Super Bowls and still have the coach and quarterback who were the most important pieces in all three of those seasons. They won 58 games in the past five seasons; only one team in the league, Indianapolis, won more consistently in the regular-season over the same span. To average 11.6 wins a year ... that's failure? Of course not. But the bar has been set mile-high in Foxboro.

First, Tom is a decently natural quarterback. As stated in 'America's Game 2001' the things he was most unnatural at was his speed of release and reads, I'd reckon the performance of the two factors this last season had more to do with missing a year.

I'd chalk the fourth quarter up to him having most of his experience with Moss/Welker/Watson, with the latter being a very minimal part of our passing game past week 1, I wouldn't really be surprised if it was him being rusty as hell with a lack of realistic receivers in the fourth. How would an OTA make him any better in the fourth than the second? The fourth quarter is exactly the same as the second in terms of time and the "last few minutes to get points" just, with a heavier effect of being, well, the FINAL quarter. Fatigue aside, at least. And I doubt he is nearly as fatigued as the receivers/oline.

That mansion they're building in MA really shoots down this theory.

Like really.

I thought this was a good point by King:

I really hated 2007 for that reason, ever since that season people expect it all over again.

Would it be better if Brady was here during the off season? Yes. But I think Brady is here enough during the off season that it won't be a huge issue. Brady does spend time in Foxboro during the off season, just not all the time. He has been here multiple times this off season already and just not mandatory practices.

Besides if he is around more in the off season I might have a better chance of getting him to sign my brothers "Who has lung cancer in the 4th stage" 12" McFarlane Figure Thats all he keeps asking me ... Did you get Brady to sign the 12" McFarlane figure yet ??? NO BRO I DID NOT!!!!!! Not yet!!!! So please folks If you or anyone hears anything about Tom Tom Signing away PLEASE LET ME KNOW Private Message me, anything heck even call me 508-317-6265 This is Important to my family. I promised my Brother i would do my best!!
Respectfully
Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST