PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

S.I. article on Brady

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you serious? Unless the new CBA does away with the franchise tag or there is never another game football for the next ten years or Brady gets hurt and Hoyer averages 300 yards and 3 TDs a game in his absence (and it would have to be for like 5-6 games at least), I say there is about a 0.00000000000000000000000000000000000000000001% chance this is Brady's last year with the Patriots. And I think I overestimated my prediction a bit to make you not feel so silly for making such a comment.

With Belichick, I'm not ruling out anything. After next year, if Brady gets franchised, it's not in the realm of impossibility that a team could offer Bill draft picks/players for Brady. Chances are, there's a point where Bill has to consider an offer if it's just too good.

as do you.....NEXT

He actually does know him a little better then you do. Brady's always said the right things to the media. That's the way he is. He may be the douchiest douche who ever douched in "real life", but saying that kind of thing to the media is pretty much textbook Tom Brady behavior ever since he became a Patriot. Claiming Brady is only behaving this way because he's in a contract year is a petty and unfounded criticism. But then again, I guess that's what you do around here.

Last edited:
Good article and it only confirms what we've known all along, Tom Brady is a terrific person, has his life priorities in the right order and is going to have a MONSTER season in 2010.
Tom comes into 2010 with no psychological hurdles to overcome with his knee because he knows it will hold up, he comes into 2010 really pissed about the way the team and himself performed on the road, in the 4th qtr of games, in the playoffs etc and he comes into 2010 feeling really good physically and having a normal offseason workout routine under his belt.
Forget the stats, we all saw a very unBrady like QB this past season and a very unPatriot like team in 2009.
I am really psyched about this team in 2010.
The Patriots are already a much better team in 2010 because of a healthy and motivated Brady, a signed and happy locker room leader in Vince, a healthy former defensive ROY in Jerod Mayo and the surgical removal of the malignant tumor otherwise known as Adalius Thomas.
This Patriot team is going to rock and roll this coming season.
Can't wait.

Re: S.I article on Brady

Seriously, does Brady need to be here like he was in 2002 working on improving his armstrength and learning how to throw better? I don't see this as a lack of dedication at all. I see it as a priority shift to his family, but not a lack of dedication to football. When he is here, he works as hard or harder than anyone else.

Brady isn't the only player who spends much of his offseason away from the team. Richard Seymour when he was here spent every offseason in NC. Peyton Manning lives in Metairie, Lousiana in the offseason. We know that Favre forever heads to Kilne, MS during the offseason. Drew Brees trains in San Deigo his offseasons.

As for what Brady does while he is away from the team, just like every player who is a father, he has parenting duties. But to think he isn't busting his butt at least 3-4 days a week at the UCLA facilities training for the season is ridiculous. Brady is still training hard for the season, he just does it close to his family. Many players do. He isn't jetsetting with Gisselle every week or babysitting his son all day.

People confuse Brady deciding to train close to his family to him basically forgetting about football all together from the last game he plays til minicamp. I am sure Brady has done more physical activity by 9AM most week days this offseason than most of us do in a week.

Are you seriously saying Brady can be just as effective as a leader in Californina as he could be if he was working out every day with his teamates? If I was one of Brady's teamates, I don't know how seriously I'd take his "We need to show more commitment" comments when he's spending less time in the offseason program than he used to. If you're a player that was here when Brady was winning the parking spot every year for his commitment to the offseason program, and you now see he doesn't consider it as important as he used to, are you less likely or more likely to take part in the program? Given the status Brady holds, I believe players watch his commitment to the program and use it as an example. If Tom Brady doesn't consider this crucial enough to be here, why should I?

With all of the players from the Superbowl teams we have lost, I would like to think Brady would consider it more important than ever to lead by example. He is not the most naturally gifted guy to begin with, and I think he got to where he is because of his dedication to working out and getting on the same page with his teamates, offseason and in season. Was Brady the same player in the 4th quarter last year that he has been in years past? I know we can blame that on his injury, but I also think it's fair to wonder if spending less time in the offseason program contributed in some way.

I don't think the "he doesn't need to spend as much time preparing as he used to" argument holds any water. I feel the less time Brady spends preparing, the less effective he will be as a player. It's just a question of how much less effective he will be. I want the Pats to win games, I don't care about how great or bad of father Tom Brady is. This article did a great job of showing the dedication Brady has toward fatherhood, but it really raised quesions (for me) about whether or not he has the same dedication he always had for football.

Last edited:
With Belichick, I'm not ruling out anything. After next year, if Brady gets franchised, it's not in the realm of impossibility that a team could offer Bill draft picks/players for Brady. Chances are, there's a point where Bill has to consider an offer if it's just too good.

Although the franchise tag may be implemented this next offseason to work out a deal for the man (see: Wilfork), I highly doubt that Kraft will let him just drop Brady. Brady is a precious commodity, even people who hate him generally admit hes in the top 5 QBs, the list of teams that would give their left leg for Brady goes out the door and around the corner. Just a few off the top of my head;

Oakland
Carolina
Buffalo
Minnesota
Seattle
Jax
San Fransisco
Red Skins

The list would be longer but we don't know how any of these teams that drafted their new players will like them. Robert Kraft is a good businessman, there's no way he lets a commodity like Brady walk out the door unless hes getting absolutely ridiculous compensation.

Are you seriously saying Brady can be just as effective as a leader in Californina as he could be if he was working out every day with his teamates? ...snip...etc...

Let's get out of the fantasy ideal world you have created and enter real life. Some of you sound like hollywood writers with your exaggerated view of how things should/could be. Real life doesn't work the way hollywood portrays it (nor should it) and neither does leading a football team work the way some of you portray it. I can't even believe that some people are actually discussing his (or any other player's) commitment to family.

Anyway, on to the article. I thought the following quotes were extremely interesting...

"We've got to start listening more to coach [Bill] Belichick. We've got young kids who are good players. We've got the best football coach of all time. He's got the answers. We as a team have to take the teaching and the coaching we're being given.''

"We need to see the toughness. We need to see the commitment. Can we take the coaching?''

Sounds like as a team they weren't listening to the BB and the coaches enough last year. I wonder how much effect a guy like AD had on something like that. Does this type of thing have any effect on gameplans and how much the Patriots chose not to do schematically because of the team's inability or unwillingness to listen/execute? I like what I'm hearing from the leaders of the team this offseason and am confident in the direction they seem to be heading :rocker:

If he was doing the offseason workout then he would never see John. Thank that would help the mental part of his game?If Brady is going to finish his career a Patriot they are going to need to understand he will not be there for the entire offseason workouts that are not mandatory.
Bridget= the Yoko of the Patriots.

If he was doing the offseason workout then he would never see John. Thank that would help the mental part of his game?If Brady is going to finish his career a Patriot they are going to need to understand he will not be there for the entire offseason workouts that are not mandatory.

I think you meant Giselle = Yoko

Bridget is Pete Best :D

now that is funny . . .

Are you seriously saying Brady can be just as effective as a leader in Californina as he could be if he was working out every day with his teamates? If I was one of Brady's teamates, I don't know how seriously I'd take his "We need to show more commitment" comments when he's spending less time in the offseason program than he used to. If you're a player that was here when Brady was winning the parking spot every year for his commitment to the offseason program, and you now see he doesn't consider it as important as he used to, are you less likely or more likely to take part in the program? Given the status Brady holds, I believe players watch his commitment to the program and use it as an example. If Tom Brady doesn't consider this crucial enough to be here, why should I?

With all of the players from the Superbowl teams we have lost, I would like to think Brady would consider it more important than ever to lead by example. He is not the most naturally gifted guy to begin with, and I think he got to where he is because of his dedication to working out and getting on the same page with his teamates, offseason and in season. Was Brady the same player in the 4th quarter last year that he has been in years past? I know we can blame that on his injury, but I also think it's fair to wonder if spending less time in the offseason program contributed in some way.

I don't think the "he doesn't need to spend as much time preparing as he used to" argument holds any water. I feel the less time Brady spends preparing, the less effective he will be as a player. It's just a question of how much less effective he will be. I want the Pats to win games, I don't care about how great or bad of father Tom Brady is. This article did a great job of showing the dedication Brady has toward fatherhood, but it really raised quesions (for me) about whether or not he has the same dedication he always had for football.

If you read the article, he said he is doing what McGinest and Harrison did when they had family responsibilities out of state. Are you saying they weren't effective leaders? Did anyone ever question their commitment to football? I don't remember that.

Seriously, what do you think Brady is doing this offseason every day at UCLA? Do you think he and Welker are oggling women while Brady pushes the stroller? No! He is working out just like he would in Foxboro. He isn't spending less time preparing for the season. That is just something people are making up in their heads. He is just spending it away from Foxboro and working on different aspects of himself than he was in 2002.

As for leadership, do you really think if during the season that Brady tries to coach up Tate or another young guy are they going to respond "I don't need to listen to you because you weren't at the offseason program"?

Personally, I think if article had Brady talking about how he works harder in CA than he ever did in Foxboro, you would still say that he isn't committed because he is in Foxboro. What that article is Peter King's take on the interview. He asked the questions and he took out the quotes he wanted to. We have no idea what was asked and what was answered. King may not have asked about his work out regiment and he may have only asked about how his family responsibilities has changed him.

It wasn't like Brady said that he doesn't think of football as a top priority. He just said that his family is his top priority. What human with a soul and kids wouldn't say that? Seriously, what would would people think of the guy if he said "You know I love my kids, but hey they ain't football. I got plenty of time to spend with them when I retire, but I can only play football for so long. I'm sure they will understand when they grow up."

When Brady is with the team, he is still the first one at the gym and the last to leave. Heck, he made it on time the day after his son was born during a blizzard when others were sent home for being late. I am sure he is showing that same commitment working out in California.

Seriously, do you really blame the guy for wanting to be near his son during the offseason and working out with trainers in CA? A large number of players workout during the offseason in different parts of the country. No one questions Welker's commitments eventhough he is working out with Brady and not the team. There seems to be a double standard.

This is the biggest non-story going. I doubt one of Brady's teammates doubt his commitment to the team. If the Pats were that concerned with him being away, they would figure out a way to get him here. I'm sure Kraft would allow him to use his jet to fly back and forth weekends and have him on schedule where he spends a couple weeks here and a couple weeks in CA. Brady by all accounts is the biggest competitor on the team and can't even stand losing a game of dominoes. He is one player you do not have to worry about his commitment to winning.

The issue isn't really that Brady is in California. There's no requirement for him to be in New England for voluntary activities.

However, when you're harping on "commitment", you probably shouldn't be doing it while blowing off things you used to do religiously.

Also, those people who were calling Warren out earlier this offseason either need to call out Brady just as harshly or to offer a "my bad" to Ty.

The issue isn't really that Brady is in California. There's no requirement for him to be in New England for voluntary activities.

However, when you're harping on "commitment", you probably shouldn't be doing it while blowing off things you used to do religiously.

Also, those people who were calling Warren out earlier this offseason either need to call out Brady just as harshly or to offer a "my bad" to Ty.

So you can only show commitment if you are at the offseason workouts everyday?He did say he was going to be there today.I think he can make alot of it up during ota's.

Although the franchise tag may be implemented this next offseason to work out a deal for the man (see: Wilfork), I highly doubt that Kraft will let him just drop Brady. Brady is a precious commodity, even people who hate him generally admit hes in the top 5 QBs, the list of teams that would give their left leg for Brady goes out the door and around the corner. Just a few off the top of my head;

Oakland
Carolina
Buffalo
Minnesota
Seattle
Jax
San Fransisco
Red Skins

The list would be longer but we don't know how any of these teams that drafted their new players will like them. Robert Kraft is a good businessman, there's no way he lets a commodity like Brady walk out the door unless hes getting absolutely ridiculous compensation.

I think the compensation would have to be something so ridiculous that Bill is forced to consider it. Something in the lines of the Hershel Walker compensation that the Cowboys received (although I don't think anyone is really that dumb to give up so much for one player). As you mentioned, Kraft is a businessman, and if the compensation is too good to pass up, why not?

It would be interesting how the fans and local media would react. I imagine this place will be like if it was the end of the world coming. :D

So you can only show commitment if you are at the offseason workouts everyday?He did say he was going to be there today.I think he can make alot of it up during ota's.

He can't make up missed time. This isn't school, where you can make up your homework.

Again, I don't have a problem with players who don't attend voluntary activities. The word "voluntary" is there for a reason. However, Brady's gone from the workout award winner to a guy who'll show up on occasion. That's not the guy you need talking about commitment.

He can't make up missed time. This isn't school, where you can make up your homework.

Again, I don't have a problem with players who don't attend voluntary activities. The word "voluntary" is there for a reason. However, Brady's gone from the workout award winner to a guy who'll show up on occasion. That's not the guy you need talking about commitment.

You could be right but Brady really has know choice if he wants to be in John's life. Better to be a good father than parking spot winner.

You should learn the lesson that I learned here earlier this week which is that it is "BAD, BAD, BAD!!" to point out any double standards on this forum.

That said, I don't have a problem with what Brady is doing. I know there are some out there with the unrealistic expectations that he should be blowing off both of his sons to lift weights with the guys in New England, but life does change. Personally, I'm fine with Brady being a father first and a quarterback second. There have been plenty of guys who have won Lombardi trophies with their priorities lined up in similar ways.

Last edited:

As of today, there will be no NFL football in 2011.

The players will get locked out at the beginning of NFL free agency. So, I dont think there will be any free agency.

You could be right but Brady really has know choice if he wants to be in John's life. Better to be a good father than parking spot winner.

Again, I have no problem with Brady doing it, and the only points I've been noting are his comment about commitment in the face of his actions and the people on this site who were bashing Ty earlier in the offseason. But, how do you know that he has no choice? One thing that money tends to allow for is increased choice. Tutors could be found for the school work, etc... Now, it's possible that baby factory #1 won't allow it, but we don't know that.

You should learn the lesson that I learned here earlier this week which is that it is "BAD, BAD, BAD!!" to point out any double standards on this forum.

Yeah, but I don't fret about what those people say. Actually, I usually find them amusing when they the insane hypocrite route.

That said, I don't have a problem with what Brady is doing. I know there are some out there with the unrealistic expectations that he should be blowing off both of his sons to lift weights with the guys in New England, but life does change. Personally, I'm fine with Brady being a father first and a quarterback second. There have been plenty of guys who have won Lombardi trophies with their priorities lined up in similar ways.

I'm with you on this, 100%.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back