PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rumor: Pats could sign both Danny Amendola and Wes Welker

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish you were the D-Coordinator for all of our opponents. We'd not only score more than 500 points for the 4th season in a row but break out old point record. If teams wanted to run with 5 LB's against us i'd actually be open to having both Amendola and Welker paired with Gronk and Hernandez.

Never in NFL history would an offense with as little speed score as many points.

Whatever you say. No player on that offense would beat you past 20 yards. Clog the hell out of the middle of the field.

That would make no sense. There is only so much room on this team for slot receivers.

I'm all for replacing Wes with Amdenola or Julian if that means saving money. If that happens...

-Keep Lloyd (he's a bargain...too much production for his cost to cut him, in my opinion)
-Sign Jennings or draft a big receiver in the 1st round to complement Lloyd on the outside

Gotta stretch the outside of the field at some point...

This offense would be unstoppable if you had Lloyd, Jennings and Amendola/Julian with Gronk Hernandez and Ballard.

Love how this tweet was phrased.. "It's not out of the question they sign both Welker and Amendola."

That is as vague as a "rumor" can possibly get. I would think one of Amendola/Welker will be here in NE, but no way do they pay both of them. Not with the holes they have on defense and the need for a dynamic WR.

Or Matt Jones out of whatever prison he is in?

Funny you mention Jones, they just announced today here in Arkansas that he has retired from the NFL. I would post a link, but let's be honest - who the hell really cares?

Not a fan at all of this idea unless Welker's deal is only two years and Amendola's contract is way under what his real value is.

I would much rather bring back Edelman as the #2. People forget how great he was playing for us as a starter. He just needs to bulk up a little and strengthen himself so he doesn't get banged up so much, but he was an elite #2 receiver and great playmaker.

I would much rather bring back Edelman as the #2. People forget how great he was playing for us as a starter.

Yeah........wait, what? Most here don't even want Edelman as the WR3, let alone the WR2, and those are the ones who want to keep him like myself.

he was an elite #2 receiver and great playmaker.

Did you just claim that "Edelman was an 'elite' WR2?"

Whatever you say. No player on that offense would beat you past 20 yards. Clog the hell out of the middle of the field.

You shuold have just said you were over exagerating for effect as now you seem like you legitimately believe what you said which is insane.

If I were Gronk, Hernandez, or Vareen I would be salavating at the idea of no safeties.

I would just run double seem routes to Gronk and Ahern all day and I would have the back run wheel routes all day and your LBs would be eating dust and your corners would be eating the elbows and shoulders of much bigger TEs and RB's (not that Vareen is big but a CB tackling a RB is a match up I welcome).

And some quick outs to the slot guys just to make the LBs run a little more.

And I would wind up with more 20 yard plays probably than Brady's whole career combined.

Austin Collie says "pick me, pick me!"

then he asks us to please dim the lights because of his concussions

Hey, if worst comes to worst we can just bring in a group of made of glass guys to play the slot.

A combination of Edelman/Collie may get us through at least 1/2 the season. Add in one more guy like Anthony Gonzeles and we could get through at least 12 games. It could be insanely lower costing.

Yeah........wait, what? Most here don't even want Edelman as the WR3, let alone the WR2, and those are the ones who want to keep him like myself.

Did you just claim that "Edelman was an 'elite' WR2?"

Either Julian has relatives on here, or his sample size for that designation was a series or maybe a quarter of the game vs. the Colts when JE was (for awhile) really ripping it up.

Austin Collie says "pick me, pick me!"

then he asks us to please dim the lights because of his concussions

Considering how much was known about concussions I can't believe he was back for that game against the Pats wearing a tinted visor for the first time in his career... I also can't believe no one called out the Colts for that decision.

Hey, if worst comes to worst we can just bring in a group of made of glass guys to play the slot.

A combination of Edelman/Collie may get us through at least 1/2 the season. Add in one more guy like Anthony Gonzeles and we could get through at least 12 games. It could be insanely lower costing.
Cmon supe, presupposing injuries is a fools game. Logan Mankins never missed a practice in 7 seasons before he signed his big contract and since then hasn't been fully healthy. . Who knows, Welker could leave for another team or get signed to a big money contract here and never play a regular season snap because of some injury. Meanwhile Julian Edelman or Dowling might never miss another game for the next 5 years. You just can't know or tell. Just think about how much of a fluke BOTH of Gronk's injuries were last season. The Jets lost both Holmes and Revis last season to non-contact injuries, ANY play could be a guys last. You cannot predict injuries. You just can't.

Couldn't this wait until tomorrow???

We need a 1 Welker rumor per day rule.:cool:

patfanken,

So are you recommending going after Bob Sanders?

Sometimes guys get hurt and one way or another keep getting hurt. Identifying guys like that is hard to do, but you always have to wonder once they get hurt several times whether it's time to cut bait.

Couldn't this wait until tomorrow???

We need a 1 Welker rumor per day rule.:cool:

so your saying my "Welker hates their head coach" Tom Jackson column has to be put on the shelf?

Bedard is now saying "hold on""wait a minute' Wes will actually re sign with the Pats....anyone see the soap opera going on over at Boston.com about this?

March 12th can't get here fast enough. I'm officially over all this rumor nonsense and ready to read about some people actually ****ing signing.

Cmon supe, presupposing injuries is a fools game. Logan Mankins never missed a practice in 7 seasons before he signed his big contract and since then hasn't been fully healthy. . Who knows, Welker could leave for another team or get signed to a big money contract here and never play a regular season snap because of some injury. Meanwhile Julian Edelman or Dowling might never miss another game for the next 5 years. You just can't know or tell. Just think about how much of a fluke BOTH of Gronk's injuries were last season. The Jets lost both Holmes and Revis last season to non-contact injuries, ANY play could be a guys last. You cannot predict injuries. You just can't.

I agree with you about injury dispositions to a certain extent, Ken. Most of the time we can't tell if it was blind luck or they are actually never going to be healthy. This is also the reason why I am in the small minority who haven't given up on Dowling yet.

That in mind, my comments about a combo of Julian Edelman/Austin Collie/Anthony Gonzeles playing the slot to get us through 8-12 games were meant as a lighthearted joke.

It's possible that you mis read and thought that I was including Danny Amendola, and referring to him in a negative light. That is not the case. I included 3 guys who have had major problems staying healthy throughout their careers, although I'd agree with you that we shouldn't "give up" on Julian Edelman yet, and I am certainly not suggesting that by any means.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes