PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dante Scarnecchia on what Mac needs

The thing that worries me about Mac (and I know we are very early in the process) is that we end up in quarterback purgatory. He is just good enough to keep us in the playoff mix but never good enough to make a deep playoff run. Good enough where you don't want to blow it up and start over with a new guy and you end up with the Bengals Andy Dalton, Kirk Cousins, or Ryan Tannehill just treading water every year. He kind of reminds me of those guys but we also have Bill Belichick and McDaniles and a lot of structure which may be the difference maker.
Cousins is a good QB. 10 year vet. I'd sign up for Mac being like him. Has a 100+ rating the last three seasons. He won't elevate a team like Brady could but Pats can win with the right team around him.

To me QB purgatory is what the Bills went through since Bledsoe left before they found Allen. I'm sure Mac is better than all those guys.

Cousins is a good QB. 10 year vet. I'd sign up for Mac being like him. Has a 100+ rating the last three seasons. He won't elevate a team like Brady could but Pats can win with the right team around him.

To me QB purgatory is what the Bills went through since Bledsoe left before they found Allen. I'm sure Mac is better than all those guys.
I think a Kirk Cousins type on a BB coached team may work but I think the offense would need to be upgraded regardless. Brady with the 2021 cast would have had 4000+ yards, 30+ TDs and probably 7 or 8 interceptions. Brady could elevate the players around him and I don’t think Mac will ever get to that level we will need him to do a little more going forward to be real contenders.

OK but i'm saying Gronk WAS the game breaker. That was what I was responding too.

It you want to talk about the kind of player they miss most which is a possession receiver that can get YAC then I would agree.
Yes he was a game breaker, but they didn't have to rely on him. They had guys that could get open, Mac has some guys that are open, but no one with that short field quickness like Edelman. Especially after White went down for the year. That's really what he needed. Having a Gronk is amazing, but we won without Gronk. When Edelman went down is when the team really got into trouble or he was on an island by himself with no help. That's the piece this team is missing.

You can find a QB like Jones in almost any draft. For the Patriots to truly contend with him the team is going to have to be near perfect.
lol, posts like this is why I miss the clown react. He has no receivers, puts up a great rookie season, you can find QB's like him in every draft...

What happened to Trey Lance, or Lawrence, or Zach Wilson, if Mac Jones is a dime a dozen, why aren't those guys putting up 22 TD's their first year as a rookie...

I think a Kirk Cousins type on a BB coached team may work but I think the offense would need to be upgraded regardless. Brady with the 2021 cast would have had 4000+ yards, 30+ TDs and probably 7 or 8 interceptions. Brady could elevate the players around him and I don’t think Mac will ever get to that level we will need him to do a little more going forward to be real contenders.
You are sure he will never elevate players based on his rookie season?

I haven't read this whole thread yet but who would you rather have at this point ...Gunner or Berrios ? They both return punts and kicks. IMO Berrios (I believe he is a FA) is an upgrade over Gunner. Berrios as the PR/KR/WR4-5 works for me.

Berrios...
1642697205776.png
1642697243846.png

Gunner...
1642697340565.png
1642697395839.png

Last edited:
The thing that worries me about Mac (and I know we are very early in the process) is that we end up in quarterback purgatory. He is just good enough to keep us in the playoff mix but never good enough to make a deep playoff run. Good enough where you don't want to blow it up and start over with a new guy and you end up with the Bengals Andy Dalton, Kirk Cousins, or Ryan Tannehill just treading water every year. He kind of reminds me of those guys but we also have Bill Belichick and McDaniles and a lot of structure which may be the difference maker.
He was a freakin rookie! Jeez what a dumbass post. You have no idea how good jones is gonna be. What you posted is what people were posting about Brady after he won the 1st SB! "Brady has no arm" " Brady got lucky" blah blah blah.
Its way too early to decide what mac or any of the other 1st round qbs will be.
But mac possesses traits that Brady also had very early in his career. Competitiveness.Work ethic. Desire to improve and be the best. Leadership.Accuracy. His arm will improve. Thats a given. Improved mechanics increased lower body strength and millions of reps alone will do that.
Get back to me in 3 years and we'll see.

Yes he was a game breaker, but they didn't have to rely on him. They had guys that could get open, Mac has some guys that are open, but no one with that short field quickness like Edelman. Especially after White went down for the year. That's really what he needed. Having a Gronk is amazing, but we won without Gronk. When Edelman went down is when the team really got into trouble or he was on an island by himself with no help. That's the piece this team is missing.
Agree 100% beating man to man coverage is not a strength of this team

He was a freakin rookie! Jeez what a dumbass post. You have no idea how good jones is gonna be. What you posted is what people were posting about Brady after he won the 1st SB! "Brady has no arm" " Brady got lucky" blah blah blah.
Its way too early to decide what mac or any of the other 1st round qbs will be.
But mac possesses traits that Brady also had very early in his career. Competitiveness.Work ethic. Desire to improve and be the best. Leadership.Accuracy. His arm will improve. Thats a given. Improved mechanics increased lower body strength and millions of reps alone will do that.
Get back to me in 3 years and we'll see.
You can disagree without getting your panties in a bunch. No one has any idea how good Jones is going to be so your prediction is just as useless as mine but since this is now the offseason for the Patriots and seeing how this is a Patriots fan forum it would make sense that fans express their opinions on the team and its players. Dozens of quarterbacks come in every year with the "desire to improve and be the best" and only one of them has ended up like Tom Brady so I don't really see how that makes Mac any more special than the other dozen QBs that want to be good. As far as leadership I didn't see much to make me think "wow what a leader" but he is a rookie so I don't fault him for that. His arm make get stronger and he might make more plays but I worry about his physical skills whether you like it or not.

Last edited:
lol, posts like this is why I miss the clown react. He has no receivers, puts up a great rookie season, you can find QB's like him in every draft...

What happened to Trey Lance, or Lawrence, or Zach Wilson, if Mac Jones is a dime a dozen, why aren't those guys putting up 22 TD's their first year as a rookie...
Better coaching, better roster.
If Lawrence was our QB we would be legit contenders.

You can disagree without getting your panties in a bunch. No one has any idea how good Jones is going to be so you're prediction is just as useless as mine but since this is now the offseason for the Patriots and seeing how this is a Patriots fan forum it would make sense that fans express their opinions on the team and its players. Dozens of quarterbacks come in every year with the "desire to improve and be the best" and only one of them has ended up like Tom Brady so I don't really see how that makes Mac any more special than the other dozen QBs that want to be good. As far as leadership I didn't see much to make me think "wow what a leader" but he is a rookie so I don't fault him for that. His arm make get stronger and he might make more plays but I worry about his physical skills whether you like it or not.
Panties in a bunch? You are one of the few panty-wearing posters on this board and 95% of posters will attest to that.
And your reading comprehension is non-existent. I didnt make any predictions about mac . YOU did. I said " nobody knows how good mac or any of the rookie QBs are going to be'. Its too early.
But YOU, who everyone knows is Mr.Quarterback Nostradamus, with your infinite and superior knowledge. YOU have already made a prediction about how good or bad mac will be. With that kind of wisdom Im shocked no NFL team has hired you. Because youd be the 1st person to ever know that.

Better coaching, better roster.
If Lawrence was our QB we would be legit contenders.
Lawrence is going to flame out early because he doesn't care to work hard enough for football. He said it himself,.
Clown Conancon2019 GIF by Team Coco

So it sounds like all we need is a defensive overhaul and injection of skill players on offense. Other than that, all good. Don’t have high hopes for next season either…

Unfortunately it might get worse before it gets better if the team has a mass exodus of core leaders like Hightower, McCourty, Slater, etc

One would assume Bill evaluates his players on every season. What is your point?
Cary Elwes Disney Plus GIF by Disney+

Here is what I said

LFGMac10 said:

Here is what you said:
203Pat said:

yes, because Brady made it already in his rookie season, oh wait he barely made the roster and it took him several years of development and improvment before he became what he is right now.

So the evaluation is, Mac has no ceiling, he will not develop one inch, he was not able to keep up with the great performance of the Patriots D# that allowed 47 ****ing points on them without forcing one single ****ing punt in the game.

Yeah Brady for sure would have had put 50 points on the Bills D# with the likes of Harry, Smith and Meyers, he showed it previously with way better receiving corps in Tampa during regular season, oh wait he only scored 33 in overtime with Receivers like Godwin, Evens, Gronkowski while throwing as well only for 2 TD.

no one knows what Mac will become and yeah for sure he needs a good team around him, its not like this all-star QBs like Brady, Rodgers, Mahomes, Allen have Harry to throw to all the time. And they mostly don't need to overcome 47 points of the opponent because the D was that crap and slow like they came from 1960 to play against nowdays players.

Brady would have not won the game for the Pats with the current team the Pats have and how they played on D# on Saturday.
Its a petty some pretend to be Fans compare an 44 year old vet that is in the league since 2 decades to a rookie QB.
If someone would compare Bradys rookie season to what he is right now, the same would be stated by the smart ass posters here...

Panties in a bunch? You are one of the few panty-wearing posters on this board and 95% of posters will attest to that.
And your reading comprehension is non-existent. I didnt make any predictions about mac . YOU did. I said " nobody knows how good mac or any of the rookie QBs are going to be'. Its too early.
But YOU, who everyone knows is Mr.Quarterback Nostradamus, with your infinite and superior knowledge. YOU have already made a prediction about how good or bad mac will be. With that kind of wisdom Im shocked no NFL team has hired you. Because youd be the 1st person to ever know that.
Ahh yes it is clearly me who is upset here. Definitely not the guy getting worked up over an anonymous internet stranger's opinion on a football player on a football forum. Your post doesn't seem like a guy who is upset at all. You will be okay. Just take a deep breath.

Cary Elwes Disney Plus GIF by Disney+

Here is what I said

LFGMac10 said:

Here is what you said:
203Pat said:
Lol I am an idiot and read your post as "evaluate" and not elevate. But I agree there is no real way to know if a rookie QB can elevate those around him after year one. My post was more about how Brady was able to, and probably better than any other QB in history, and how Mac likely won't get to that level but hopefully can elevate those around him more in the future.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back