PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dante Scarnecchia on what Mac needs

Lol I am an idiot and read your post as "evaluate" and not elevate. But I agree there is no real way to know if a rookie QB can elevate those around him after year one. My post was more about how Brady was able to, and probably better than any other QB in history, and how Mac likely won't get to that level but hopefully can elevate those around him more in the future.
Lol, I think he will be able to, he's got that drive to be better and seems to have the work ethic

I would not be surprised if we had a 1995 or a 2002 year
I am worried about a regression due to a major overhaul on defense and a QB still learning the position at an NFL level. Honestly I am glad the Dolphins canned Flores because he is a good coach and allegedly was the reason Deshaun Watson wanted to come to Miami. We are obviously well behind the Bills but having the Dolphins rebuilding yet again will help us.

I am worried about a regression due to a major overhaul on defense and a QB still learning the position at an NFL level. Honestly I am glad the Dolphins canned Flores because he is a good coach and allegedly was the reason Deshaun Watson wanted to come to Miami. We are obviously well behind the Bills but having the Dolphins rebuilding yet again will help us.
I'd prepare for it but you never know.

yes, because Brady made it already in his rookie season, oh wait he barely made the roster and it took him several years of development and improvment before he became what he is right now.

So the evaluation is, Mac has no ceiling, he will not develop one inch, he was not able to keep up with the great performance of the Patriots D# that allowed 47 ****ing points on them without forcing one single ****ing punt in the game.

Yeah Brady for sure would have had put 50 points on the Bills D# with the likes of Harry, Smith and Meyers, he showed it previously with way better receiving corps in Tampa during regular season, oh wait he only scored 33 in overtime with Receivers like Godwin, Evens, Gronkowski while throwing as well only for 2 TD.

no one knows what Mac will become and yeah for sure he needs a good team around him, its not like this all-star QBs like Brady, Rodgers, Mahomes, Allen have Harry to throw to all the time. And they mostly don't need to overcome 47 points of the opponent because the D was that crap and slow like they came from 1960 to play against nowdays players.

Brady would have not won the game for the Pats with the current team the Pats have and how they played on D# on Saturday.
Its a petty some pretend to be Fans compare an 44 year old vet that is in the league since 2 decades to a rookie QB.
If someone would compare Bradys rookie season to what he is right now, the same would be stated by the smart ass posters here...
Surely you agree though that Brady is the ultimate outlier.
It seems just as preposterous to me to try to keep using Brady as some barometer for Mac. Brady is never happening again for any team ever.

So your point is that the offense is washed because Meyers is still on the team? You do realize that in 2019 offense was almost completely different than the current offense. We had exactly 0 tight ends and no Bourne.

Allen didn't magically become a 4,000 yard passer because he got a couple of great receivers. It helped, but the dude also made a leap in his game. Can an elite receiver help Mac? For sure, but it's not going to make him into something he's not. Plenty of QB's have had great receivers and still sucked like Tannehil. The fact that you keep going on about how our receivers don't get open, means you aren't watching the film.
Seriously I can't imagine someone would read what I posted and think I'm saying Meyers is the problem. The problem is Meyers is in a role he should not be in. He's a number one receiver who ranks 34th in yards and has less receiving TD's than half the league. If that is the head of your passing corp, you got problems. He should be a 2 or 3 at most.

Allen is a horrible example for you by the way. There was literal discussion of him being cut going into 2020. It was a make or break year. Then they got Diggs. Diggs was the league leading receiver in yards that year with over 100 yards over second place. He also led the league in receptions with over 10 receptions compared to the next best receiver. It's just not at all correct to say the receiver didn't matter in helping Allen. Diggs literally was the engine of the Bills offense last year and this year. Anybody who watches the Bills knows that Diggs is foundational to their offensive success.

Mac doesn't even have a guy half as good as Diggs.

We know WR's are a big deal in QB success. Brady made a big jump when he got Branch. Then the team had issues when they lost him. Then the dude finally broke the barrier to being elite with Moss. Even the early era Brady teams that people joke about not having much in the way of passing talent were a big step up above what Mac is dealing with, and that in an era where you passing was far less prevalent.

You don't get Mac some weapons and he's going to have a ceiling that prevents him from impacting this team and will put him on thin ice when we evaluate his contracts. And no Meyers and Bourne are not top guys anywhere in this league. If Meyers and Bourn were the top receivers on the Bills (Diggs), Chiefs (Hill), Packers (Adams), Rams (Kupp/OBJ), 49'ers (Samuel), Titans (Brown), or Bengals (Chase), Bucaneers (take you pick) all those team would be sitting at home right now like us. It would be that much of a substraction.

Ahh yes it is clearly me who is upset here. Definitely not the guy getting worked up over an anonymous internet stranger's opinion on a football player on a football forum. Your post doesn't seem like a guy who is upset at all. You will be okay. Just take a deep breath.
Nice strawman

Noone else thought this? :maybenot:
Pats have ALWAYS relied on a guy that could get open QUICKLY, understood, and could find the soft spots.
This isn't new for them, forget Moss, that was an anomaly (and pissed me off at times due to dbl/trip coverage- Moss was Special).
They need a smart Jitterbug IMO, not the stud WR that has huge plays but takes forever to get open.....I just don't see this offense transforming into that.

I see this offense as Short to Intermediate, with stretch when they get the shot, probably due to the defense collapsing after getting smoked too many times.

I dunno, maybe I'm wrong.

Nice strawman
Jennifer Lawrence Ok GIF

You don't get Mac some weapons and he's going to have a ceiling that prevents him from impacting this team and will put him on thin ice when we evaluate his contracts. And no Meyers and Bourne are not top guys anywhere in this league. If Meyers and Bourn were the top receivers on the Bills (Diggs), Chiefs (Hill), Packers (Adams), Rams (Kupp/OBJ), 49'ers (Samuel), Titans (Brown), or Bengals (Chase), Bucaneers (take you pick) all those team would be sitting at home right now like us. It would be that much of a subtraction.
Bill does not have this philosophy. That is the issue. That is why Brady left. Bill is going to build defense/run first and the offense from the inside out. I really don't think Bill thinks the skill guys are this raging failure. I think he looks at them as first year guys in the system with a rookie QB. I very much doubt he does anything at the spots, in fact I would think Oline will be where he drafts probably in the later rounds.

I can't believe Mac is the QB getting all the hate. What if we'd have gotten Wilson?? He's the #2 pick, and while the Jets are rebuilding too, he just looked completely baffled almost every snap. Mac was rarely overwhelmed. There was about 8-10 delay of games, missed protection sacks, and bad INT decisions in his ROOKIE year. But the vast majority showed poise and knowledge. People rag on him about arm strength, but forget to mention his ability on the move. Some of those plays later in the season where he evaded pocket rush and rolled out or moved up and threw on the run were Rogers-esque. He's going to improve - physically and as a leader. He's the most driven rookie QB I've seen in a long time. Pats won't change QB for the next 3 years, the we'll see what he's worth.

I can't believe Mac is the QB getting all the hate. What if we'd have gotten Wilson?? He's the #2 pick, and while the Jets are rebuilding too, he just looked completely baffled almost every snap. Mac was rarely overwhelmed. There was about 8-10 delay of games, missed protection sacks, and bad INT decisions in his ROOKIE year. But the vast majority showed poise and knowledge. People rag on him about arm strength, but forget to mention his ability on the move. Some of those plays later in the season where he evaded pocket rush and rolled out or moved up and threw on the run were Rogers-esque. He's going to improve - physically and as a leader. He's the most driven rookie QB I've seen in a long time. Pats won't change QB for the next 3 years, the we'll see what he's worth.
Mac has more to work with than Wilson, he better perform better. Everybody should be held accountable.

In the Red Zone, it certainly looked like HHenry was Mac's go to guy.

In general, though, I still think Meyers is going to be that guy (if he isn't kindof already) - he was only in his 3rd season and obv 1st with rookie Mac with getting a feel for each other. Despite that and all the weapons we added, he still led the team in Recs/Yds. Before this past season, I predicted that Mac to Meyers was going to go for 120recs/1200yds for the 2022 season and 85rec/900yds for 2021 (which was darn close). We'll see.

Takes time for some receivers to make the jump (although even that's arbitrary). ABrown/MHarrison/Welker/SDiggs 4th year. Edelman/KAllen 5th year.

Mac needs a NFL caliber WR that can get open.

While Bolden surprised the hell out of us, he is no Faulk, Vereen or White. Our offense is very dependent on that player.

Hating on Mac sounds a lot like what we heard about Brady at the beginning. I remember Borges mocking the Patriots "horizontal passing game" even after he won a Super Bowl.

He's definitely more mobile than I thought. He wasn't statistically a great rushing QB in 2021 but I think we'll see a lot more of his abilities in 2022.

Last edited:
Meyers was tied for third in 1st down catches on 3rd and <3 (only Cooks and Kupp were higher), and tied for tenth for 1st down catches on 3rd down overall (Jefferson, Hill, Kupp, Allen, Cooks, Adams, Waddle, Diggs, and Evans were the only ones higher). stats.com

I'm pretty excited to see how that combo will look next year, especially since it'll be Meyers' last year before UFA. I'd try to lock the guy down now, but I'm sure I'm in the tiny minority at this point, especially since he's got "Paul Pierce" athleticism.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back