PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dante Scarnecchia on what Mac needs

Scar forgets more about FB on a given day than anyone on this board will even know.
Congrats you are the leader in the clubhouse for the stupidest comment of the year.
You’re trying too hard.

Shannon sharpe actually ****ing played. He still says stupid ****.

get off his ****.

we all know a wr would help Mac. But it’s not all about Mac.

And the piling on Mac continues. LOL

And the piling on Mac continues. LOL

Patriots removed Parsons from their draft board according to my unimpeachable blue check mark source.
As relayed to me...

Rd 1
Plan A: Mac....willing to move up 1 or 2 slots to secure him
Plan B: Rashawn Slater, OT, Northwestern (drafted #13 by LAC)

QB Plan B: Davis Mills, QB....willing to move up from their 2nd round slot to secure him (drafted 3rd rd...67th pick, Texans)

You’re trying too hard.

Shannon sharpe actually ****ing played. He still says stupid ****.

get off his ****.

we all know a wr would help Mac. But it’s not all about Mac.

Sharpe make a living off of hot takes Dante is Assistant Coach who belong in the HOF, you OTOH are a .... moron.

Sharpe make a living off of hot takes Dante is Assistant Coach who belong in the HOF, you OTOH are a .... moron.
He made more money than you’ll ever see in your miserable mayonnaise-flavored life playing… then he started making hot takes.

you’re **** riding an elderly man.

****in clown.

It's not so much getting a chains-mover as it is getting someone who can be on the exact same page as Mac Jones. That's going to take time. Like it or not.

You know what you are right. Meyers has been here 3 years and for 3 years the passing game has sucked regardless of the QB. Clearly the WR’s who have been mostly the same aren’t the problem and holding everyone back

I'm not saying Meyers is your #1 game breaker, but he's a solid #2 or #3. Same with Bourne. Outside of 2007, name a year we had a game breaker #1 receiver. The team doesn't believe in that, they go for guys who can consistently get open. When you have 4 of those guys, its almost impossible to stop. I see you pivoted your argument to just Meyers though, when you obviously don't know what you're talking about with how our receivers are getting open.

I'm not saying Meyers is your #1 game breaker, but he's a solid #2 or #3. Same with Bourne. Outside of 2007, name a year we had a game breaker #1 receiver. The team doesn't believe in that, they go for guys who can consistently get open. When you have 4 of those guys, its almost impossible to stop. I see you pivoted your argument to just Meyers though, when you obviously don't know what you're talking about with how our receivers are getting open.
They believe in a game breaker. Just not necessarily at the WR position.

Gronk was a game breaker.

Corey Dillon was a game breaker.

You could argue Deion Branch 2003-2005 was a poor man's game breaker.

Though people won’t agree with you, here’s a question: what does every first round failed QB have in common?

Answer: the fanbase blamed the supporting cast for the quarterback not reaching his potential, before finally realizing the quarterback was the problem.

Not saying that’s the case here, but not saying it isn’t the case either. I think it’s very concerning.

Tom Brady in 2019 in new England vs Tampa would like to have a word with you. 25 tds to 40 and 45 with an upgrade in talent

Every QB is also effected by the talent around them. Every team remaining in the playoffs has a bonafide #1. Patriots do not have anyone that scares defenses.

So you think that Meyers with 866 yards and Bourne with 800 yards would struggle to be a #2 or 3 on another team? What world do you live in?

Somebody has to catch those passes...

Bourne & Meyers are # 3-4s on a Legit contender, which we are most certainly Not.

When your defense turns in the worst performance in the history of the NFL there's no point saying if the QB did this or that...

• Winner
Reactions: sb1
Other than Jakobi Meyers, who do they got?

Kendrick Bourne. 55 rec, 800 yds, 78.6% catch rate, 14.5 yds per catch, 5 td

Bourne is excellent. Better than Meyers actually. He needs to be used way more.

Yeah I was disappointed that Scar didn't mention Bourne, who admittedly does not possess the hands (including for ball security) that Meyers does but is better than him in every other way.

Though people won’t agree with you, here’s a question: what does every first round failed QB have in common?

Answer: the fanbase blamed the supporting cast for the quarterback not reaching his potential, before finally realizing the quarterback was the problem.

Not saying that’s the case here, but not saying it isn’t the case either. I think it’s very concerning.
Let's see what Mac does in Year 2 with I would assume better weapons around him.

The way I see it if he's really all that he will make the second year leap. He won't be MVP or anything but the improvement will be obvious to see. If not then we have a problem.

One thing to keep in mind: Mac now has an offseason in which to connect and practice with his current wideouts. So I gotta believe getting in rhythm with these guys will help to create more separation next season.

Doesn't change the fact that the Pats need a #1 WR though, or as you imply, a couple of #1B's.
Yep and creating separation vs the DB isn't all about 3 cone times and being the next Willie Gault. It's sudden head movements, selling the route, sight adjustments, footwork, snap alignment, matchups, reading/sitting in the soft part of zone, etc.

With talent and physical skills being equal, mastering those nuances of the WR position is what separates the good from the great.

All Mac needs is more confidence. Step into that pocket. Get feet set. Rifle that throw. He can do it. He will do it. The confidence of knowing what the defense is doing, what he's going to do, different workout regimen, it's going to make him much much better.

Also remember that Mac has been studying Brady for years and he wanted to play in New England, so he knows that he can develop parts of his game and his body.

2017 with Cooks where he was an easy stretch guy who could beat people deep. Also from 07 to 18 we had either Gronk who was the GOAT TE or Moss who was the best WR since Rice or Welker who was arguably the greatest slot receiver in history who was an All Pro quality receiving threat.

Nobody is saying Meyers or Bourne don’t have a place here. They could. But they are inadequate for being the 1 and 2 of the receiving corp. We have a number 1 who ranks 34th in the league in receiving yards and who was a running joke for taking 2 years to get a TD pass. They can be good. But hypothetically you have a guy like Branch as the true number 1 and then Edelman as the consistent slot guy, then Bourne and Meyers at 3 and 4 with Henry as the trust TE and you have real passing offense (and notice I didn't use All Pro quality receivers to make my point).

Also I pivoted to Meyers because he is the clear number 1 and has the superior stats so anything I say about him can be applied to Bourne because he's not being focused on as much as Meyers by secondarys. So that's a pretty lame deflection.

Fact is this passing offense has been dreadful for 3 years. Brady was here and half the people on this board were making the case that he was washed (which I think everyone can admit is complete bs now) and part of that was him not relying on Meyers, last year Cam was washed, but lets be real it was no secret he looked a lot better when Edelman was still around. This year almost every analyst agrees Mac was the top rookie QB and he's dealing with a bottom 5 receiving corp and a completely one dimensional offense. You don't fix that, he'll be like Josh Allen in year 3 where people are wondering where the improvement is (hint it got fixed by adding Diggs) and we will in fact be debating if he's the guy despite him not succeeding somewhere Brady couldn't.

This team has been trash for 3 years with receivers and it's been nothing but deflections. "Brady's washed", "he won't give Meyers a chance", "Bill and Josh are washed and won't give them more playing time","the defenses are really at fault, they should be winning us games, it has nothing to do with offense stalling out". 3 years of that ****. Maybe at some point instead of putting players on a pedestal we should look at the results. We do not have a passing game and it's largrely because we don't have receivers that other teams need to respect.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/8: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Back