PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rumor: Pats could sign both Danny Amendola and Wes Welker

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is everyone so willing to replace Welker with a guy who has played 12 games over the past 2 seasons and has 1 full season under his belt?

Welker has missed 3 games in 8 seasons, Amendola has missed 22 games in 4 seasons.

He won't replace any production if he doesn't play.

Since Ras-I "Made of Glass" Dowling joined the NFL in 2011 he has only played in 3 fewer games than Amendola who some people claim doesn't have an injury problem.

I'm not trusting Welker's "replacement" with someone who hasn't played for a full seasons worth of games in the last 2 seasons combined, sorry. The only reason we would potentially not see a drop-off in production is if Hernandez and Gronk both went over 1,000 yards, it won't be because of Amendola or even Edelman.

I do not think it is a desire to replace Welker, but if Welker is asking for too much money, then people see Amendola as a viable alternative.

How............

How............

"How do they see him as a viable alternative?"

Who else is really out there? If Welker leaves I'd want something in the same mold of player, yet younger. That's where Amendola and possibly Edelman would come in. Out of the 2, at least Amendola has had an 85 catch season.

What are the better options? Signing a 9-10 million dollar a year guy probably isn't going to be too realistic, and the offense is tailored already for the quick release of Brady and the ability to take advantage of the initial step or two off the line in the underneath routes. It's one of the reasons why Welker gets open even when doubled.

I don't like comparing the 2 players all that much, but if Welker isn't coming back then I would expect most to think that this is the next best thing, who is younger, quicker, and at a cheaper price. Unfortunately, he hasn't proven to be too durable lately, so if they do sign him I would hope that Edelman is brought back too.

I'm interested to see what Belichick's view for the Offense becomes if he's keen on retaining Welker and adding another receiver of similar stature and skill set. People continue to look at the construction of the Offense in traditional terms. I wonder if BB has an idea in mind to exploit current schemes and defense in the NFL with players who create separation almost immediately?

If teams are going to press the LOS, bump or jam receivers off the line and flood the inside of the field against the Patriots then I can see why BB would potentially go this way. Brady only needs half a second to hit an open receiver.

yay more midget receivers that can't go deep

just what we need

yay more midget receivers that can't go deep

just what we need
Brady's deep ball isn't what it once was. Unless you have Megatron or Larry Fitzgerald, do you really want him throwing deep balls when his strength is firing precision passes on timing patterns to open receivers?

What amazes me is people are having a sook about the team's moves when Free Agency hasn't begun and the team is yet to draft players. I've had a deep think about this over the past week. I want players who can get separation. If that's a deep ball receiver then so be it.

Brady's deep ball isn't what it once was. Unless you have Megatron or Larry Fitzgerald, do you really want him throwing deep balls when his strength is firing precision passes on timing patterns to open receivers?

What amazes me is people are having a sook about the team's moves when Free Agency hasn't begun and the team is yet to draft players. I've had a deep think about this over the past week. I want players who can get separation. If that's a deep ball receiver then so be it.

Nobody knows if his deep ball is any good since he hasn't had a legit deep threat since Moss.

Nobody knows if his deep ball is any good since he hasn't had a legit deep threat since Moss.
The team has achieved the same level of success and ultimate failure with Moss and post Moss. Whilst I agree there is a perceived need for a deep threat, I agree more with Deus that health is the key. Gronk is that important to the O.

The team has achieved the same level of success and ultimate failure with Moss and post Moss. Whilst I agree there is a perceived need for a deep threat, I agree more with Deus that health is the key. Gronk is that important to the O.

Fair enough

But should the Pats re-sign welker there is no shortage of people to run quick routes.

Hernandez, Gronk, and Welker all dominate the middle of the field. Why not find somebody to give them some breathing room?

Fair enough

But should the Pats re-sign welker there is no shortage of people to run quick routes.

Hernandez, Gronk, and Welker all dominate the middle of the field. Why not find somebody to give them some breathing room?

I don't know how much one has to necessarily do with the other, considering that we currently have one 'real' WR signed in Llyod--and even his job isn't safe.

Just because people are specualting about the additions or replacements for some WRs does not mean that they can't/won't still be looking for a more complete receiver who can offer more physicality and stretch the field.

That player will most likely come from the draft pool. My hope is that they actually double up with 2 choices in the first 3-4 rds (assuming they trade down at some point to accumluate a 4th rd pick).

Fair enough

I think that it's all up to how Belichick feels about continuing with the current offense. It's set up to take advantage of the first step or two off line line, to take advantages of mismatched personnel, and to get YACs to move the chains and add a clock mgmt aspect. On top of that it very well may be prolonging Brady's career, hiding weaknesses on the offensive line and making them look better, and playing to everyone's strengths.

I agree with you that we would have needed new blood in the WR corps no matter what, as there is only 1 real WR signed at the moment, and even his job is in jeopardy before the roster bonus next week. Either way they'd have been looking for draft choices and reasonably priced vets, and that almost always includes a 'complete' receiver who offers good size and speed. We'll almost surely cover that base too.

In the meantime, I still believe that we don't have much evidence to suggest that Belichick feels as worried about the lack of a deep presence as the majority of posters here. That also doesn't mean that he won't be trying to add one/two anyway though, especially if he chooses to use some high to mid round picks.

Why is everyone so willing to replace Welker with a guy who has played 12 games over the past 2 seasons and has 1 full season under his belt?

Welker has missed 3 games in 8 seasons, Amendola has missed 22 games in 4 seasons.

He won't replace any production if he doesn't play.

Since Ras-I "Made of Glass" Dowling joined the NFL in 2011 he has only played in 3 fewer games than Amendola who some people claim doesn't have an injury problem.

I'm not trusting Welker's "replacement" with someone who hasn't played for a full seasons worth of games in the last 2 seasons combined, sorry. The only reason we would potentially not see a drop-off in production is if Hernandez and Gronk both went over 1,000 yards, it won't be because of Amendola or even Edelman.

I bet you trust Gronkowksi. You know, the guy who has suffered two pretty serious injuries in the last two years. You know, the guy who missed an entire year in college due to an injury. The guy who - in 3 of the last 4 seasons - has had a somewhat or very serious injury

I wonder why you don't call him IRob GronkowskIR?

If Amendola and Dowling are injury prone and huge risks and untrustworthy, so is Gronkowski (and Hernandez to a lesser extent).

Fair enough

I'm sure the Patriots will find creative ways to get players open on the outside if their strength is creating separation. The faster the receivers separate, I imagine the less likely it is that the play is disrupted at the LOS if Brady hits his mark. I don't mind that approach if that's what the Patriots intend on doing.

I bet you trust Gronkowksi. You know, the guy who has suffered two pretty serious injuries in the last two years. You know, the guy who missed an entire year in college due to an injury. The guy who - in 3 of the last 4 seasons - has had a somewhat or very serious injury

If Amendola and Dowling are injury prone and huge risks and untrustworthy, so is Gronkowski (and Hernandez to a lesser extent).

Like patfanken reminded us yesterday, injuries are part of the game and they often happen in a sporadic pattern. Sometimes they hit you a couple/few times in a smaller window, sometimes they hit you more spread out over time. These things are hard to predict. Someone may look at a player who has been durable thus far and come to the conclusion that they are men on steel, while others may claim that they are "due" at some point.

I don't think that we should be throwing around the injury prone label as much as people do based on that fact. I haven't given up on anyone, and that includes Pryor and Dowling--who had some lingering injuries and setbacks which carried through the majority of two seasons. I also wouldn't consider giving up on Edelman or Amendola either. I'll even take it one step further and say that I still wouldn't 100% immediately rule out a guy on a very low salary like Austin Collie either, understanding that not many will agree with me. He has been cleared by very good physicians to continue playing and really had a small window in 2010 where he suffered a couple/few concussions. If he offered a very good value or a low risk/high reward scenario as a backup player or even camp fodder, I would completely agree.

All that said, I can also see the other side of the coin where people have come to the conclusion that the odds have significantly dropped that these players will contribute on any kind of level. I can respect that thought, but I would also remind them that they are on the roster, they provide good value, (both Pryor and Dowling under cheap rookie pacts, and even Edelman shouldn't be very expensive if re-signed) and they are here to compete for roster spots. These players shouldn't be automatically given up on because they've suffered a couple/few unfortunate injuries.

Gronk has played in 47 of 54 possible games and has performed at an all-pro level in 2 of his 3 seasons while setting numerous positional NFL records, even while being injured. He's missed significant time in one season since joining the NFL and was still an all-pro in that season.

Keep comparing the two, they're entirely different.

This forum spends all day blasting people who say Edelman can replace Welker but want to bring in Amendola instead, Amendola and Edelman are NOT Welker clones, theyre clones of each other.

Amendola is a "could have" player. He could have 1,000 yards. He could have 10 touchdowns. He could do this and that. But he hasn't.

Gronkowski just does it.

I wonder if Brady will ever play with a young speedy deep threat between now and the time he retires. It seems unlikely.

I think its very likely we will take a outside receiver in the draft this year rounds #1 or #2 which will give Brady what you hope.

Amendola will take visits to (for now) undisclosed teams | ProFootballTalk

Of course, there's speculation the Patriots are one of those teams

I wonder who is insisting on non-disclosure? Perhaps a way to show deference to Welker even as it leaks that are bringing in a Plan B to interview - playing good and bad cop all at the same time?

Of course I don't consider Amendola as a replacement for Welker - more of a potential replacement for Lloyd if they think Amendola brings more to the table

There is definitely, at least in my opinion, a lot of work to do with the WRs. I feel like they're getting close to figuring out the defense and getting that up to speed finally. But the WRs and the O-line are two things I was worried about going into the 2012 season. And having seen the 2012 season, I think its time Belichick got with the organisation and fix the issues on offense.

I don't fully understand the hype around Welker. I know he's a star reciever, but he's key in the short passing game in an ever-evolving NFL that is shifting toward a deep-pass trend now. Lloyd was a mistake to begin with, I've seen him drop so many passes. Deion Branch, love him to death, he's my favourite wide reciever growing up, but he's getting old. I think he's past his prime. The TE situation is great, all aside from Gronkowski's prone to injuries. So they're not backed up well, but with BOTH Hernandez and Gronkowski, they do great. But they need to be supported by a good WR corps. They haven't been able to figure out a good WR combo since 2007.

I don't know much about this Amendola, but I hope he's more to expect than Brandon Lloyd or Ocho Cinco...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back