PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rumor: Larry Fitzgerald to the Pats

Status
Not open for further replies.
he has not had a 1000 yards in 3 years and is on pace for 500 yards this season if AZ can dump him and his contract for anything more the a 4th they should jump all over it,

as for will he help the pats yes he would I don't think he is the elite WR he once was but could you imagine him and Gronk in the red zone who could stop that

The idea in ARZ was for Floyd to take over the WR1 role, so at some point--yes, Larry Fitzgerald is going to be moved on from.

Of course, who knows when that point will be?

To say that he no longer justifies his cost would be an understatement.

Arizona cutting ties with him this offseason is almost guaranteed.

wouldn't andre johnson be cheaper, give up less for and be able equal in talent? I'd rather trade for a good DT or OG before WR though

I still think Fitzgerald would be an asset to this team and I think this team would put him in a position to be very good again. He would have to basically forego his last 2 years and that is not going to happen. If it did, kudos to him because that means a championship is everything to him. I laugh every time this rumor is started btw.

Since the Thursday night game is 24-0 after fifteen minutes, here's what I found after a few minutes of research.

The most curious thing I found was that Kenbrell Thompkins was allegedly not waived to make room for a healthy defensive and special teams player, but to make room for Fitzgerald - even though a game has taken place since then.

Trade rumor: Cardinals could deal away Larry Fitzgerald to Patriots - Phoenix Business Journal was published Tuesday October 7 at 11:02 pm.

Rumors are swirling... the Arizona Cardinals may entertain a Larry Fitzgerald trade this season at the National Football League trading deadline, and the New England Patriots have continued to come up as a potential destination.

This comes after the Patriots cut Kenbrell Thompkins last week — a move that could lead to a major trade for the Pats...​

This column was based on Larry Fitzgerald Trade Rumors: Patriots Target For Arizona Cardinals After Tom Brady Struggles With Aaron Dobson, Danny Amendola? - Sports World Report, which was published Monday October 6 at 11:22 am.

Arizona Cardinals wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald has come up in trade rumors again this year and with the New England Patriots struggling on offense with Tom Brady, some have speculated that a deal could go down between the teams after the Pats offense has struggled with Aaron Dobson, Danny Amendola and Rob Gronkowski and now Kenbrell Thompkins has been cut.​

The source for the above comes apparently comes from this mailbag Q&A that was published under ESPN's Arizona Cardinals section at 9 am on Saturday October 4: Arizona Cardinals Mailbag: Denver Edition - ESPN

I think after this season they'll consider all the possible options. I don't think it's a secret that New England could use Larry Fitzgerald. When the numbers are broken down, it's actually affordable for a team to sign him after a trade. Then the question becomes what can the New England Patriots offer the Cardinals? With 11 contracts expiring after this season, Arizona will have needs but can the Patriots fill them is what a potential trade will come down to.​

And part of that is probably based on the over-publicized story of Fitzgerald's father not being happy with how his son was being used in Arizona's offense: see Larry Fitzgerald disavows father's critique of Arizona Cardinals - ESPN, from Wednesday September 10:

Larry Fitzgerald's involvement in the Cardinals' offense has decreased every season since 2010, when he tied for the NFL lead with 175 targets, which accounted for 32.2 percent of the Cardinals' throws.

In 2011, he was targeted on 28.9 percent of Arizona's passes or 153 times, the fourth-most in the league.

The next season, Ken Whisenhunt's last at the helm in Arizona, Fitzgerald was targeted 150 times or 25.6 percent of the Cards' passes.​

Since then, the rumor has been re-reported several times and is growing like a giant snowball rolling downhill in the middle of winter; it has now even shown up on the Patriots' web site.

News Blitz 10/8: Brady's determination is second to none | Patriots.com

But as good as Brady is at making the players around him better, it wouldn't hurt to have another star receiver to compliment Rob Gronkowski. According to M. Jussim of the Sports World Report, there are trade rumors swirling around Cardinals receiver, Larry Fitzgerald. While there's no telling whether the Patriots are or are not interested, Jussim notes that ESPN.com's John Weinfuss previously said the Patriots could be an option for Fitzgerald.​

Larry Fitzgerald rumors: Cardinals looking to trade Fitzgerald? - Fan Sided

Those (contract) numbers stand to be problematic for the Cardinals, and so the following question has lingered for a while now: should the Cardinals trade Fitzgerald while his value is still high to get out from under that contract?​

To me that last line says a lot: that many people who write about the NFL - especially about trade rumors and speculation - do not have an adequate understanding of how the NFL's salary cap works. I believe it is a case of too many people attempting to use baseball financial logic, and apply it to the NFL.

It just doesn't work that way, since (a) the NFL has a real cap, MLB does not; (b) the NFL cap takes into account signing bonuses, which are not needed in the MLB (since their contracts are guaranteed); (c) the cap, free agency and revenue sharing make it easier for smaller market teams to compete in the NFL than they could in MLB; (d) the effect of dead money on a team's cap, and it's ability to be competitive during that time.

wouldn't andre johnson be cheaper, give up less for and be able equal in talent? I'd rather trade for a good DT or OG before WR though

contracts for any vet WR making that type of money would have to be reworked or you don't make the trade Johnson is playing for a team that should make the playoffs in the AFC im pretty sure they don't want to make the pats a better team

Since the Thursday night game is 24-0 after fifteen minutes, here's what I found after a few minutes of research.

The most curious thing I found was that Kenbrell Thompkins was allegedly not waived to make room for a healthy defensive and special teams player, but to make room for Fitzgerald - even though a game has taken place since then.

PWP: Too funny!

To me that last line says a lot: that many people who write about the NFL - especially about trade rumors and speculation - do not have an adequate understanding of how the NFL's salary cap works. I believe it is a case of too many people attempting to use baseball financial logic, and apply it to the NFL.

It just doesn't work that way, since (a) the NFL has a real cap, MLB does not; (b) the NFL cap takes into account signing bonuses, which are not needed in the MLB (since their contracts are guaranteed); (c) the cap, free agency and revenue sharing make it easier for smaller market teams to compete in the NFL than they could in MLB; (d) the effect of dead money on a team's cap, and it's ability to be competitive during that time.

Last 2 paragraphs are spot on

Personally, I think he may be a candidate to move prior to that 8 million dollar roster bonus due in March, Miguel.

The basic answer to your questions are that 1) Fitzgerald no longer justifies his salary, 2) Arizona has had success in moving Michael Floyd to their WR1 slot, 3) there have been lots of examples of people in the L.Fitzgerald "camp" who have not been happy about his lack of targets/production--most notably his father.

In a recent primetime game on Sunday or Monday night, they didn't even target Fitzgerald until 57:00 minutes into the game.

I think the writing is definitely on the wall to have ARZ move on from him, and I don't think it's a question of "if" anymore. The main question is whether we would be in the mix, and "when" he'll be moved in my opinion.

Of course, there may be financial implications that you know of that I am not taking into account.

Do I think LF is coming here? No. However, the apparent reason for trading LF isn't "why would you trade him right now?". His name value coupled with more dramatic in season needs of other teams (dramatic = they'll pay a higher price) makes it a 'short term loss for long gain'.
According to Miguel -- as solid a source as there is -- LF is owed an 8 million bonus payable in the offseason. Since this means LF is likely let go then (unless a major renegotiation), it makes some sense to get the best value now.

(1) Does the Cards' coaching staff believe its receiving group is capable of getting it done without LF? (2) Is LF's precipitous drop off in production causing him to act differently in the locker room/around other receivers?
If either one of those are 'yes', coupled with the Cards best (maybe last) chance at highest value is trading him in season, he could get traded. However, I still don't think he'll end up on the Patriots. IMHO BB/the Patriots believe they have a receiving group that is on the cusp of potent. They have their sorta-Lloyd (Lafell), they have their sorta-Welker (JE), they have their sorta-Ahern (Wright), They have their sorta-Gronk(Gronk), they have a receiver that has shown some deep potential (Dobson) and they have a new receiver they like (Tyms - evidenced by his being activated/sorta being kept over KT). Personally I am very enthusiastic to see this Patriots offense progress IF the OL play versus Cincy is the OL play we will see in most games.

There is also the dynamic that the reasons why Arizona would want to trade Fitzgerald:

- (a) he is a wide receiver on the wrong side of 30, who
- (b) has seen his productivity drop significantly since 2011,
- (c) is now his team's number two receiver,
- (d) is projecting to have 656 yards receiving with zero touchdowns, and
- (e) will be due an $8 million roster bonus on the 5th day of the 2015 league year, in addition to
- (f) an $8 million guaranteed base salary in 2015...

And all are the very same reasons that other teams would not want to trade for him.

There is also the dynamic that the reasons why Arizona would want to trade Fitzgerald:

- (a) he is a wide receiver on the wrong side of 30, who
- (b) has seen his productivity drop significantly since 2011,
- (c) is now his team's number two receiver,
- (d) is projecting to have 656 yards receiving with zero touchdowns, and
- (e) will be due an $8 million roster bonus on the 5th day of the 2015 league year, in addition to
- (f) an $8 million guaranteed base salary in 2015...

And all are the very same reasons that other teams would not want to trade for him.

I hate to give this subject too much thought, but I just can't help myself at the same time.

As unlikely as it probably is, Fitzgerald is one of those instant leaders that you have no qualms whatsoever about in terms of ability to go out and give his all every week. On top of that, he's a physically gifted WR still, and could move into more of the "physical" kind of receiver that many of us have wanted (as opposed to the "pure field stretcher" that some still see him as). That may allow him to still give a lot more than some expect for another 2-3-4 yrs.

We know that his leadership, attitude, talent, and professionalism would likely raise the odds of an outside receiver fitting in here. The only real question is whether or not Belichick will get the opportunity to make a deal for him, and whether or not they can agree on the specifics. Those are some big "IFs" but I think Fitzgerald is one of those kinds of players that Belichick would attempt to get if they can agree on terms.

So this year we get Revis and next year fitz?

I'll believe this when me sh!t turns purple and smells like rainbow sherbert ( leprechaun voice ). -super troopers reference

We know that his leadership, attitude, talent, and professionalism would likely raise the odds of an outside receiver fitting in here. The only real question is whether or not Belichick will get the opportunity to make a deal for him, and whether or not they can agree on the specifics. Those are some big "IFs" but I think Fitzgerald is one of those kinds of players that Belichick would attempt to get if they can agree on terms.

Yes, but that's all assuming that Fitzgerald would agree to a huge pay cut as part of the condition of the trade. Those ifs are not minor details; they're monumental obstacles.

Why would Fitzgerald agree to any type of (upcoming) pay cut right now?

There is the outside chance that Arizona blinks (or screws up), and the deadline passes and he gets his $8,000,000 next spring. Who knows, maybe they want him to retire as a Cardinal - or maybe (I haven't looked it up to see where they stand) they need to get their spending up to the four-year ceiling per the most recent CBA.

And if the Cardinals do release Fitzgerald, then he is free to sell his services to the highest bidder - including the Patriots. Auctioning himself off to 32 teams would logically result in the best fit for him and his best pay day - which would be a better negotiating position than agreeing to take a pay cut for one, and only one team.

If I'm Fitzgerald or his agent, I would just sit tight and force Arizona to make a decision - and then if the Cardinals cut him, simply take the best offer I can find after leveraging one team against another.

I particularly like the part that said the Pats may trade for Fitzgerald BECAUSE they cut Thompkins.

Why would Fitzgerald agree to any type of (upcoming) pay cut right now?

For starters, I agree with most of your post--aside from the small chance that ARZ screws up ans misses the 8 million dollar bonus deadline. That said, I do get your point and you have a lot of reasons why it won't happen.

To answer your main question though, I think he is going to have to come to the conclusion that he is not worth more than 2/3rds of his current contract one way or another, and ARZ would be wise to try and get something in exchange for him prior to being forced to pay him that enormous salary, or even consider cutting him (which isn't likely to happen).

The real question becomes whether or not Fitzgerald and ARZ can agree to a lesser pact or they simply trade him in the offseason prior to the day 5 roster bonus. I think one or the other is extremely likely.

Before Moss came here they were just absurd rumors too.

You gotta believe!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe