PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

RUMOR: COLTS made decision to drop Manning weeks ago..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Assuming he's healthy (which I actually wonder)........ Then this would be the best news in the world for Manning. The Colts are a train wreck and will be for quite some time. Abandoning ship is probably the least painless way to excise oneself.

I believe Irsay is fearful of repeating his father's mistakes and his legacy. Bob trading a HOF QB, thus alienating the fanbase. He screwed up drafting QBs; Elway and Schlister in back to back years.

I believe Irsay is fearful of repeating his father's mistakes and his legacy. Bob trading a HOF QB, thus alienating the fanbase. He screwed up drafting QBs; Elway and Schlister in back to back years.
Yup, this is the beginning of the end for the Colts.

I have a feeling that Manning will play again and win another Super Bowl.

Irsay needs to step back. I guess he decided with Al Davis gone someone out there had to step in and fill his shoes. He is blowing up one of the best rivalries in football (pats vs. colts)

Irsay disputes report that decision was made on Manning “weeks ago” | ProFootballTalk

Irsay disputes report that decision was made on Manning “weeks ago”

“No he hasn’t been released nor was a decision reached weeks ago,” Irsay said.

As Florio says, hard to take Irsay at his words:

The first part is a little odd because no one is reporting, or has reported, that Manning has been released. In fact, no current players from teams whose seasons have ended can be released until after the Super Bowl.

The back end or Irsay’s latest tweet invites word parsing as to the question of whether a decision has been reached on Manning’s status. With Irsay saying a decision wasn’t reached weeks ago, it’s possible he’s implicitly conceding that a decision has been reached, but that it didn’t happen “weeks ago.”

If anyone was curious how the media creates news and mountains out of molehills I think this is a perfect example of that and absolutely hilarious. Seems to me like ESPN is now playing on words and might be mad they're not the ones cunningly reporting non-news from "sources". I could have created that same article and been right.

Obviously the decision was reached long ago. Obviously he was not ready to announce his decision and has a right to make his announcement whenever he wants. Obviously Isray is reporting the decision was made but not officially announced.

Seriously, why is this even news in light of the Super Bowl? Can't we wait and report it and talk about it when it happens? It's like a build-up to the announcement which already took place.

Last edited:
I'm actually quite happy this nonsense is happining in the week leading up to the superbowl. Havent heard any outrageous Patriots stories and I hope that it stays that way with everyone trying to figure out Peytons future.

Irsay has fired and replaced both GM and coach. He must have some specific direction in mind.

Or he truly is clueless. I wouldn't put that past him either.

when he is cut before the 20MM+ slug is due, what will the final $/yr be for Manning of that "record" contract 2 yrs ago?

The way the media reports NFL contracts is so irresponsible. Best example would have been that defensive back out in SF who got signed with a 20MM bonus in his last year - yeah right he is going to get that.

I'm actually quite happy this nonsense is happining in the week leading up to the superbowl. Havent heard any outrageous Patriots stories and I hope that it stays that way with everyone trying to figure out Peytons future.

I heard that Tomase is in the midst of getting another juicy Patriots story together for publication just before the Super Bowl.

John feels like he has been ignored as a media guy the past 4 years and plans to make a big comeback splash later this week.

The last week before the game is far from over yet.....

Last edited:
when he is cut before the 20MM+ slug is due, what will the final $/yr be for Manning of that "record" contract 2 yrs ago?

The way the media reports NFL contracts is so irresponsible. Best example would have been that defensive back out in SF who got signed with a 20MM bonus in his last year - yeah right he is going to get that.

The CB you are referring to was Nate Clements and he's already gone from San Fran..

That is something that I find interesting.. 3 of the guys to set record breaking deals have or will be (in the case of Manning) moving on from their respective team before that contract came close to fruition. Nate Clements and Albert Haynesworth were the other 2..

I heard that Tomase is in the midst of getting another juicy Patriots story together for publication just before the Super Bowl.

John feels like he has been ignored as a media guy the past 4 years and plans to make a big comeback splash later this week.

The last week before the game is far from over yet.....

If that happens, I will hunt you down and beat you.. then I'll hunt Tomase down and beat him also.. :D

Irsay has fired and replaced both GM and coach. He must have some specific direction in mind.

Or he truly is clueless. I wouldn't put that past him either.

like father, like son....

If I were the Colts' owner, I'd cut Manning, too. Of course, I'd never have agreed to the structure of the contract in the first place, but that's a semi-separate issue.

you have to agree....the recent trend..the past five years or so...these #1 picks come in and START...look no further than Cam Newton last season...the hype around Luck is intergalactic..hard to even fathom the Colts locking up, what...40+ million in cap on TWO players...that's suicidal

Put Luck on the Colts, and start him day 1 with a brand new coaching staff, a terrible team, a weak OL, a lack of weapons (Wayne is gone, and Clark will be nothing like he was in an Ariens offense) no running game, and a sieve defense, and he will be ruined.
Think David Carr, Joey Harrington, Tim Couch.
The Colts will be lucky to beat this years 2 wins.

A very smart move by the Colts.
Paying $28 million to a 35 yr old QB on his 3rd neck surgery is pure football and financial foolishness.
The Colts have fired their Pres, their GM, their coaches so why not their aging and injured QB?
They are in full rebuilding mode and are going about it the right way.
Clean house!

A very smart move by the Colts.
Paying $28 million to a 35 yr old QB on his 3rd neck surgery is pure football and financial foolishness.
The Colts have fired their Pres, their GM, their coaches so why not their aging and injured QB?
They are in full rebuilding mode and are going about it the right way.
Clean house!

They have no choice.
You just cant pay a 28mill bonus to a 35 yr old QB who may never play again.
They will stink for years, but at least they can try to rebuild. If they were smart, they would also trade the #1 pick, because they could get a ton of picks for it, and help the rebuild.
In the state they are in, they will not sniff .500 before Lucks rookie contract is up. That will also result in Luck developing the wrong way, and he will never be what he could be if he went to a team where he wasn't going to lose every week and take a consistent pounding.

What if Luck doesnt live up to expectations?

Lots of QBs are the next greatest NFL draft pick only to flop. Luck hasnt played a down in the Big Boy league and folks are acting like he is a cant miss player. Furthermore, Luck has to follow in the foot steps of a great QB and HOFer.
This post is 100% right on. The guy will be inheriting ridiculously high expectations. Anything short of being a Peyton Manning caliber QB, which is an unfair, unreasonable thing to put on a guy, and he'll be considered a bust.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back