PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

RUMOR: COLTS made decision to drop Manning weeks ago..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every time I see Irsay, I think "lounge lizard".

The colts are a team that needs rebuilding. As others have posted, they are not even ready to draft a franchise quarterback. They'd be better off to trade down a few times, and look to the future.

when he is cut before the 20MM+ slug is due, what will the final $/yr be for Manning of that "record" contract 2 yrs ago?

The way the media reports NFL contracts is so irresponsible. Best example would have been that defensive back out in SF who got signed with a 20MM bonus in his last year - yeah right he is going to get that.
+1. It's ridiculous. I remember how much the media droned on and on about McNabb's 5 year, $80 million extension with the Redskins, which I believe was a record in terms of dollars-per-year.

IIRC, McNabb never saw a single penny of that money, so all the hype was completely worthless.

The colts are a team that needs rebuilding. As others have posted, they are not even ready to draft a franchise quarterback. They'd be better off to trade down a few times, and look to the future.

When you can get the QB, you take him.

Putting a lack of talent around a young 'franchise QB' is the best way to ruin him.

What if Luck doesnt live up to expectations?

Lots of QBs are the next greatest NFL draft pick only to flop. Luck hasnt played a down in the Big Boy league and folks are acting like he is a cant miss player. Furthermore, Luck has to follow in the foot steps of a great QB and HOFer.

Well, what is really the risk of Luck not being a good player? Is it greater than the risk between Manning's head and shoulders??? Not even close.

Elway and P. Manning are the only QBs in the last 30 years with a similar grade to Luck coming out of college, and one could make the argument that Luck combines the best attributes of both. Abundant experience in a pro-style offense, calls his own plays, an honor roll student at Stanford, Dad was an NFL QB. Sorry, Luck is "can't miss."

I still think it will be as stupid move to draft Luck as opposed to keeping Peyton and trading out for multiple picks. That whole team has to be rebuilt. Irsay is an idiot. As someone else said, the mere possibility of Luck becoming the next Ryan Leaf is enough to make this a head scratcher for the Colts.

And maybe I don't understand all the financial in's and out's involved, but I can't see another team fully taking over the Colts' financial obligation to Peyton at this point.

I wish you were the GM of the Colts.

I still think it will be as stupid move to draft Luck as opposed to keeping Peyton and trading out for multiple picks. That whole team has to be rebuilt. Irsay is an idiot. As someone else said, the mere possibility of Luck becoming the next Ryan Leaf is enough to make this a head scratcher for the Colts.

And maybe I don't understand all the financial in's and out's involved, but I can't see another team fully taking over the Colts' financial obligation to Peyton at this point.

You must be kidding. If the roles were reversed, not a single person on this board would even entertain the thought of the Pats trading out of a position to take Luck. You don't pass up once in a generation QBs. This is GM-ing 101.

Didn't really hurt Cam Newton this past year.

:confused:

Carolina had two 1st-round, starting-caliber running backs in Jonathan Stewart and DeAngelo Williams. The OL features two All Pro players in Ryan Kalil and Jordan Gross.

They had a #1 receiver already in place in Steve Smith, added complementary receivers in 3rd-round pick Brandon LaFell and FA signing Legedu Naanee, and acquired two good receiving TEs in Jeremy Shockey and Greg Olsen. There are some play-off teams without that much talent around their QB.

Didn't really hurt Cam Newton this past year.

A QBs DEVELOPMENT is not measured by their rookie year.
He also had 2 good RBs a top WR and a much better OL.
He also was sacked 35 times and threw 17 picks and ran the ball 126 times while winning 6 games all season.
Those are factors that hurt a QBs development

If I were Manning I will go to San Francisco. Huge upgrade over Smith. I don't want to play him twice a year. Too nerve wrecking.

You must be kidding. If the roles were reversed, not a single person on this board would even entertain the thought of the Pats trading out of a position to take Luck. You don't pass up once in a generation QBs. This is GM-ing 101.

If the roles were reversed, I would absolutely want the Patriots to trade out of the pick, and get the bonanza of picks to develop while I rebuild my team.
To take a shot that Luck will develop into what you think he will while surrounding him with an awful team is not likely to work.
I would trade the pick AND cut Manning and develop the rest of the team with a decent FA QB and add the QB when I have something to add him to.

Funny how a couple of years ago mediots like Mike Wilbon were convinced that Tom Brady was a goner after his contract expired but Peyton Manning would be together with Irsay in Indy for the rest of his career.

Funny how a couple of years ago mediots like Mike Wilbon were convinced that Tom Brady was a goner after his contract expired but Peyton Manning would be together with Irsay in Indy for the rest of his career.

The type of injury Manning is dealing with has been a game changer.

If the roles were reversed, I would absolutely want the Patriots to trade out of the pick, and get the bonanza of picks to develop while I rebuild my team.
To take a shot that Luck will develop into what you think he will while surrounding him with an awful team is not likely to work.
I would trade the pick AND cut Manning and develop the rest of the team with a decent FA QB and add the QB when I have something to add him to.

Manning has been carrying the Colts for years. Elway took 3 otherwise highly suspect bronco teams to super bowls. You're taking it for granted that your trade from a dollar bill to a bunch of dimes is "safer" than a once in a generation QB. Even taking Luck, the Colts will still have picks at the top of each round to begin the rebuilding process. Also probably high picks next year as well. How many once in a generation players have been busts in the pros? We are talking about a select group here: Elway, Manning, Lemieux, LeBron, Crosby, Strasbourg. The only real risk with these players is injury. When you are talking about a talent level this high, coupled with the intelligence and maturity to match, you have a very sure thing at the position that determines the success of an NFL franchise. No GM would ever in a million years do what you propose. And if your job was riding on it, you wouldn't either.

If the roles were reversed I would absolutely want the Patriots to stick with Brady and use the pick to build around him. I think Manning is coming back and he'll have 3-4 more really good years. Believe what you want about Luck but there's a big difference between being the top rated QB prospect and being a first ballot HOF QB. Brady has won 3 SB'S and may win another in a week, I wouldn't throw him out with the trash just to play fantasy GM and take the hot pick I would stand by him and help him finish his career here.

If the roles were reversed I would absolutely want the Patriots to stick with Brady and use the pick to build around him. I think Manning is coming back and he'll have 3-4 more really good years. Believe what you want about Luck but there's a big difference between being the top rated QB prospect and being a first ballot HOF QB. Brady has won 3 SB'S and may win another in a week, I wouldn't throw him out with the trash just to play fantasy GM and take the hot pick I would stand by him and help him finish his career here.

That's not rolls reversed. This is a scenario where there is no way in hell you can keep Brady. You either have to take a QB at #1 or get more picks and maybe take a lower round QB until you can grab the #1 QB the next year.

Last edited:

Again, I wish you were the Colts GM, because this decision would set them back 10 years. No NFL team would pass up on Luck for a speculative 3-4 years with a 35 year old that can't even throw the football after half a year of rehab. You are drastically overrating the possibility of Luck not being a star and drastically underrating the possibility of Manning never playing in the NFL again or being a shell of himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back