PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rule question - forward pass that hits an official

Crazy Patriot Guy

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
During the game yesterday, on one play an official had to duck so as to not be hit by a Tom Brady pass. It got me thinking: if a ball deflects off an official, is it still a live ball? I can't remember if I've ever seen that happen.

No, I would highly highly doubt it's a live ball

What I found

http://static.nfl.com/static/conten...pdfs/11_Rule8_ForwardPass_BackPass_Fumble.pdf
http://static.nfl.com/static/conten.../pdfs/10_Rule7_BallInPlay_DeadBall_Scrimm.pdf

Rule 8 Forward Pass, Backward Pass, Fumble
Section 1 Forward Pass
DEFINITION
Article 1 DefinitionIt is a forward pass if:
(b) the ball first strikes the ground, a player, an official, or anything else at a point that is nearer the
opponent’s goal line than the point at which the ball leaves the passer’s hand(s).

RULE 7 Ball in Play, Dead Ball, Scrimmage

Article 3: Ball Touches Official. The ball is not dead because it touches an official who is inbounds, or
because of a signal by an official other than a whistle.

During the game yesterday, on one play an official had to duck so as to not be hit by a Tom Brady pass. It got me thinking: if a ball deflects off an official, is it still a live ball? I can't remember if I've ever seen that happen.

The play is dead once the ball hits the ground or if the official is out of bound (Roetheisberger did it on a 3th and 9 vs Washington, and Romo hit a official out of bounds). I seem to remember Brady throwing a mid-range, across-the-middle pass that struck an official in the head. Welker was involved in on that play I think.

Article 3: Ball Touches Official. The ball is not dead because it touches an official who is inbounds, or
because of a signal by an official other than a whistle.

To clarify: the ball isn't dead just because it hit an official, but it will be dead if it hits an official and goes to the ground.

The down is repeated (Roetheisberger did the same thing on a 4th and 9 vs Washington, and Romo hit a official as well). I seem to remember Brady throwing a mid-range, across-the-middle pass that struck an official in the head. Welker was involved in on that play I think.

I think you are wrong.

I think Cantabrigian's extracts are more valid and parallel with the short-hand rule I had previously heard: that 'the officials are considered part of the playing-field'.

The only exception to them being part of field is they dont cause an airborne pass to be a dead-ball (if they are standing inbounds) - it has to actually hit the turf.

It is on the players to avoid them and therefore you dont see a play re-run when one of the refs accidently "picks" a WR or a DB. The other team just gained a 12th player for one play is all (sorry, chum). So why would they re-run a play if a pass hit a ref?

I seem to recall (years back) one or two of TB's passes tipping off a ref and still making it to the wr (who might have either caught or dropped - can't recall). I do not recall any "RE-Do"s in those instances.

I think you are wrong.

I think Cantabrigian's extracts are more valid and parallel with the short-hand rule I had previously heard: that 'the officials are considered part of the playing-field'.

The only exception to them being part of field is they dont cause an airborne pass to be a dead-ball (if they are standing inbounds) - it has to actually hit the turf.

It is on the players to avoid them and therefore you dont see a play re-run when one of the refs accidently "picks" a WR or a DB. The other team just gained a 12th player for one play is all (sorry, chum). So why would they re-run a play if a pass hit a ref?

I seem to recall (years back) one or two of TB's passes tipping off a ref and still making it to the wr (who might have either caught or dropped - can't recall). I do not recall any "RE-Do"s in those instances.

Yes, my original post was wrong. I edited my original post after I went to look at that Roethlisberger pass replay and noticed that there was a loss of down, then I looked the rule up.

Yes, my original post was wrong. I edited my original post after I went to look at that Roethlisberger pass replay and noticed that there was a loss of down, then I looked the rule up.

All good.
I'll reserve my right to be wrong (& hopefully as gracious as you) for another day. ;)

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Back