PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ross Tucker: Pats player on IR practiced in 2005 [merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Ross Tucker ...WHISTLEBLOWER

Golic just made the argument that if the IR player is practicing, it gives more rest to the regular players, and that this is the advantage. WTF??? If you want your regular player to rest and not practice so much, can't you just, I dont know... REST THEM?!?! You don't HAVE to practice every player that isn't on IR for every snap of every practice. I swear to God my brain is going to explode.

Mike Golic's brain has been on IR for as long as I can remember, yet they keep letting him talk on TV and radio about sports.

They let him do this to give their regular commentators rest, allowing their over-worked pee-sized brains an opportunity to come up with some other meaningless infraction that the Patriots have committed which can be turned into yet another sensationalistic hit piece.

Golic just made the argument that if the IR player is practicing, it gives more rest to the regular players, and that this is the advantage. WTF??? If you want your regular player to rest and not practice so much, can't you just, I dont know... REST THEM?!?! You don't HAVE to practice every player that isn't on IR for every snap of every practice. I swear to God my brain is going to explode.

In theory it gives more of an advantage to rest players. Except the Patriots do a very good job resting their starters during the week.

I am assuming the player in question is Ryan Claridge (he is probably the player since he went down the last minute in the preseason with a mysterious injury). Do you really think they were going to pull Vrabel or Bruschi to give Claridge reps with the starting line up? More likely than not, Claridge would sub in with guys who never see the field on defense or are never activated. How is that a real advantage?

If Claridge replaced Larry Izzo for a few reps on the scout team, is that going to give Izzo an advantage on gameday because he is more rested for the half dozen of special teams plays he will play in the game?

People want to blow this thing up because it is all they have to keep the story alive. Practicing Claridge gained the Pats no advantage whatsoever because he was cut before the season started in 2006.

It's pretty hilarious that this is what ESPN got from the "big" meeting with Walsh. And they still run with it! I don't watch them anymore, but I like hearing everyone bash them.

Ross Tucker = Attention Whore. The guy couldn't cut it as a pro, so now he's trying to get some TV time at the detriment of his ex team and teammates.

'Nuff said.

Would you agree that there seem to be alot of things that the Patriots are doing that are against the rules being reported?
I definitely see your point. It seems that the Patriots are getting reported for alot of League rule violations.
It is made out like there are 31 law abiding teams, and then the evil Patriots.
More like evil coach, imo. I believe the perception is not that the Patriots players are evil, it's more their coach.

sdfan

It IS?? Wow, none of us knew that. Thanks for the news flash. Please post more often. You add a lot to this forum.
I responded to this....
So what if the player practiced with the team? It's not like the guy could come back and play.
With this...
It is against the rules for a player on Injured Reserve to practice with the team.
Doesn't matter if you agree with the rule or not, it is what it is. Don't break a rule and then be upset with the consequences. Better? Probably not, based on your post.

Thanks again - you tool.
Explain why you think I'm a tool, please. Because I responded with what should be obvious? It would have been one thing if he had been criticising the rule instead of outrage that anyone was upset at the action of breaking it. That wasn't the case, in fact it sounded like he may NOT have known it was a rule. I have to admit though, your post almost scared me off from posting here ever again.

sdfan

Last edited:

GFY, PAO, OK?
Boy, you guys really know how to hurt a guy. I may never post here again after a post like this one.

sdfan

steroids are against the rules also. what's funny is, i never hear schlereth talk about them. what team keeps getting busted for those ?
That is an excellent question. I think it may have something to do with the Player's Union. Comprehensive testing will never be allowed by the players until something undetectable is developed. Every team in the NFL has players beating the testing system now in place. The ones that are caught just screw up, imo.

sdfan

to everyone whining and crying about "waah, espn hates us, the commisioner hates us, the world hates us", this article came out on CNNSI.COM a week before the ESPN one.

CNN: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/ross_tucker/05/15/rules/index.html

ESPN:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3408450

so that kind of blows up the "espn hates the pats & they've got a hidden agenda" theory. :bricks:

Not for me. I still think that ESPN Sucks and I refuse to watch their channel or go to their website.

to everyone whining and crying about "waah, espn hates us, the commisioner hates us, the world hates us", this article came out on CNNSI.COM a week before the ESPN one.

CNN: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/ross_tucker/05/15/rules/index.html

ESPN:

so that kind of blows up the "espn hates the pats & they've got a hidden agenda" theory. :bricks:

Or kinda supports it pretty damn well. Considering The SI report was far more balanced where Tucker said that he knows of other teams cheating or breaking the rules to "the breaking point" and even gives specific examples of his own personal experience where rules were bent which ESPN did not report, it supports that that ESPN has an agenda. You look at both pieces and there is a very different tone between the two.

I don't think ESPN itself has an agenda, but I do think certain people in ESPN do hate the Pats and are out to get them.

ESPN:

I wouldn't necessarily agree with that statement.

When Tucker wrote this column explaining how the Patriots continue to dominate - none of which involved breaking any rules - espn was not interested in talking to him or having him on their show.

Then when Tucker wrote the more recent column that you pointed out above for SI, they now found Tucker worthy of quoting for an article on their own website, and having him talk about the IR rules violation on television.

Since Tucker was right there, why not have him discuss the original article too, to give balance to the story? None of us know for a fact the real reason, but some possible explanations may include (a) Business reason: bashing the Patriots and labeling them as cheats creates more interest, which translates to higher ad rates and more profits; (b) Revenge: espn is upset about the Patriots freezing them out of access to Foxboro; (c) Personal bias: Trey Wingo is a huge Jets fan; he's probably wearing official New York Jet boxers right now.

Last edited:
Espn is making themselves look foolish by the min, I suggest every day mail a story to them saying , Brady did not have his shoes tied, or Belichick held in his bowl movement so that he could prove a point... Just something stupid until Espn just cracks...

A group of us are trying to get tickets for that game. Now we are not going to do anything crazy, but we plan on USING OUR CONSTITIONAL RIGHT OF FREE SPEECH on that night. ESPN is going to be very uncomfortable in our stadium. Afterall we have been assaulted all year by their CONSTITIONAL RIGHT OF FREEDOM OF THE PRESS. Why can't we excercise our CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHTS? This is the United States of America.

Not to give you any ideas....ahem..but IIRC way back on MNF, the fans messed with ABC one night. They held up a "MNF on ABC sign". As soon as the camera zoomed in on them, they flipped it over to reaveal a "Cosell s*cks' sign......... If ESPN is smart, they will have a seven second delay.............

When Tucker wrote this column explaining how the Patriots continue to dominate - none of which involved breaking any rules - espn was not interested in talking to him or having him on their show.

Then when Tucker wrote the more recent column that you pointed out above for SI, they now found Tucker worthy of quoting for an article on their own website, and having him talk about the IR rules violation on television.

Since Tucker was right there, why not have him discuss the original article too, to give balance to the story? None of us know for a fact the real reason, but some possible explanations may include (a) Business reason: bashing the Patriots and labeling them as cheats creates more interest, which translates to higher ad rates and more profits; (b) Revenge: espn is upset about the Patriots freezing them out of access to Foxboro; (c) Personal bias: Trey Wingo is a huge Jets fan; he's probably wearing official New York Jet boxers right now.

when tucker was breaking down why the pats were so good, it was nothing more than and article by one ex-player-turned-writer who is employed by cnn's opinion on the pats and their success. when he disclosed the information about the injured players practicing, it became a whole different beast altogether. Spygate and the Patriots (alleged? proven?) cheating are huge stories, which I'm well sure you're aware of.

Last edited:
Every team tapes practices, and IIRC, the league actually requires it, so they can investigate whether or not players on the injury report practiced (or vice versa). Shouldn't this be easy enough to check?

I'm also fairly certain that in this post-Tomase world, CNN and ESPN tried to get the guy on IR to comment. The fact that the player is not named, and there is no comment from the player indicates that he's still on the Patriots.

I don't think ESPN itself has an agenda, but I do think certain people in ESPN do hate the Pats and are out to get them.

ESPN has its agenday because these arsholes at ESPN receive their 'screwing up Pats as bad as you can possibly can' memo every day before their show is on air because you can't start your show if you don't know what your topics are today. I wonder if they actually think that Pats owns and runs NFL.

When speaking about another team, they only have 1 or 0 expert. When it comes to Pats, they have 4+ experts on the show and begin to tell everybody how bad Pats is when pats did this or that.

I stop watching / listening ESPN for 8 months because i know what they are going to say. There is no reason to make my blood pressure go up or my day worse.

Last edited:

CNN: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...les/index.html

ESPN:

so that kind of blows up the "espn hates the pats & they've got a hidden agenda" theory.

when tucker was breaking down why the pats were so good, it was nothing more than and article by one ex-player-turned-writer who is employed by cnn's opinion on the pats and their success. when he disclosed the information about the injured players practicing, it became a whole different beast altogether. Spygate and the Patriots (alleged? proven?) cheating are huge stories, which I'm well sure you're aware of.

My answer was in response to your allegation that you state the two stories you cited "kind of blows up the "espn hates the pats & they've got a hidden agenda" theory". The opinion you expressed was what I responded to, with possible motives by espn. The reason I provided the example of Tucker's original article was to provide an example of what I perceive to be bias in the reporting of stories by espn. They infer - or sometimes come right out and state - that the success of the Patriots is due to practices such as taping opponent's signals and stashing a player on IR, rather than bring up the possibility that the Patriots win due to the five reasons Tucker outlined in his first article.

In my opinion spygate and it's spin-off stories are huge stories not because it is major breaking news, but because espn does not want this story to go away. Remember just a few days ago all the noise that was made because one of the tapes Walsh turned over was marked offensive signals?

Boy, you guys really know how to hurt a guy. I may never post here again after a post like this one.

sdfan

Promise?

And say hi to that pimple-infested monkey you have for an OLB...you know, the dancer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News