PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rookie CB Darryl Roberts has significant injury, and may be out for the season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not really. Chung, of all people, was the lynchpin of that secondary and he missed half the year. Now he's a guy most consider to be the 3rd best DB, at best. Barring a complete flameout on Butler's part, there isn't a single secondary position that isn't improved over 2011.

McCourty was coming off of a pro bowl season as a rookie, so your point is completely wrong. You're trying to apply hindsight to the day 1 2011 group, while inflating the pre-play worth of this current group of has beens and never (yet) was's.

This can't be stressed enough, but our defence hasn't blitzed once in pre-season. That alone will improve our secondary to some degree.

Arrington was quietly terrible in 2011, much worse than McCourty from October on.

I hear you, but when all four positions are upgraded, the LBs are better, there is no seismic scheme change and you get a full offseason, there is no reason to even think this group will approach 2011. It would take both McCourty and Butler going down for that to happen.... and that might not be enough.

I don't think we agree on the talent level currently on this team and you might be a bit more optimistic than I.

When it comes to being a proven, productive NFL starter, Butler is absolutely an unknown. I know the coaching staff and everyone is high on him but until I see it week in and week out he is a question mark.

If DMC plays more CB than FS it is very possible they are the same. He needs to stay at FS.

Chung in coverage is awful. He was good last year b/c he stayed within 15 yards of the LoS.

2011 Arrington was absolutely spotty but he did have 7 picks and did a nice job on Cruz in the SB. I'm not aware of anyone on the current roster that can cover in the slot as good as him.

Everyone else is a question mark. That includes Brown who I really like.

With the exception of 2011 Wilfork, the front 7 talent is vastly superior on the 2015 team.

Roberts doesn't matter in the whole grand scheme of things. This secondary isn't going to be a strength of the defense. Offenses will be attacking it like crazy. Kinda like a few years ago when we made ordinary QBs look like Pro Bowlers. And since we have 3 sacks in 2 pre season games, and 2 of the 3 sackers were rookies and an udfa (and got injured). I don't see us getting much pressure this year. It's gonna be a LONG year defensively.

I don't think we agree on the talent level currently on this team and you might be a bit more optimistic than I.

Perhaps. I think it is also that you are overestimating the talent on 2011, if that's even possible.

Butler is absolutely an unknown.

Disagree. We've seen enough to know he can be a good #2, which would make him no worse than whichever CB was playing the best at any given moment in 2011.

If DMC plays more CB than FS it is very possible they become worse.

Worse than whichever CB was the second best at whatever time? No chance.

Chung in coverage is awful

And he was the best safety in 2011 by a country mile.

2011 Arrington was absolutely spotty but he did have 7 picks and did a nice job on Cruz in the SB

Arrington wasn't "spotty" in 2011, he was terrible. He did play well in the SB, though.

Everyone else is a question mark

Which is better than the awful certainty the 2011 depth provided. :)

2011 Arrington was absolutely spotty but he did have 7 picks and did a nice job on Cruz in the SB. I'm not aware of anyone on the current roster that can cover in the slot as good as him.

Arrington allowed 900 yards that season. So one could argue he got 7 INTS because the ball went his way often and it was just the law of averages.

Roberts doesn't matter in the whole grand scheme of things. This secondary isn't going to be a strength of the defense. Offenses will be attacking it like crazy. Kinda like a few years ago when we made ordinary QBs look like Pro Bowlers. And since we have 3 sacks in 2 pre season games, and 2 of the 3 sackers were rookies and an udfa (and got injured). I don't see us getting much pressure this year. It's gonna be a LONG year defensively.

Odd logic abound in this post. You bemoan the state of our secondary, whilst concluding the loss of one of the most promising corners "doesn't matter" in the scheme of things. Then you go on to extrapolate a lackluster pass rush during the regular season based on...sack totals in the preseason.

They've blitzed exactly zero times so far in the preseason, and look disinterested in doing much else besides practicing how to set the edge.

Sheard's sack was due to very little actual effort from Sheard. He swatted the RT's hands away, and the guy fell down.

Which is better than the awful certainty the 2011 depth provided.

Here are some of the names that saw time in the secondary in 2011

Nate Jones
Josh Barrett
Sergio Brown
Antuwan Molden
Matthew Slater
Julian Edelman
Phillip Adams

Nate Jones
Josh Barrett
Sergio Brown
Antuwan Molden
Matthew Slater
Julian Edelman
Phillip Adams

O man I remember i was hoping Adams would turn into something.
Brady is incredible when you look at that list.

They are playing vanilla (or chocolate) defense, wait for the 3rd game of the RS and you will see the real defense.

Nate Jones
Josh Barrett
Sergio Brown
Antuwan Molden
Matthew Slater
Julian Edelman
Phillip Adams
Ras I Dowling was a starter at the start of the season..... he was healty like 12 minutes.

1) Yes, it is bad for the kid.

2) We have Butler and Brown as our starting CB's.

3) We have McClain, Ryan, and Fletcher as backups. McCourty could become a starter at corner if that were necessary after an injury or two.

4) I think that McClain is our nickel back, but it could be anyone. We also could play 3 safeties.

5) We are now more likely to keep both Wilson and Ebner.

The secondary sinks or swims with Butler. He could be anywhere from a liability at CB1 to a star there.

Also, there is no CB depth whatsoever, so if one of Butler or Brown get hurt, there will be a major liability on the field every down.

I still have homer faith that this secondary has two probowl caliber players in it with McCourty/Butler.

its not about this year. Its about his development. Maybe he d be starter in some games this year and he d suck, but i think he can be very very good CB2 in NFL or maybe i wish....

I think the secondary will be just fine, IF they stay healthy. Depth doesn't look too good.

I know Brown's been dealing with some injuries and hopefully those do not linger throughout the season.

Otherwise, he seems to have been pretty healthy for most of his career ( http://www.nfl.com/player/tarellbrown/2495565/profile )

Butler/Brown outside, Fletcher/Ryan inside

I think the secondary will be just fine, IF they stay healthy. Depth doesn't look too good.

I know Brown's been dealing with some injuries and hopefully those do not linger throughout the season.

Otherwise, he seems to have been pretty healthy for most of his career ( http://www.nfl.com/player/tarellbrown/2495565/profile )

Butler/Brown outside, Fletcher/Ryan inside

Need one more outside corner, IMO. Maybe Jean's that guy? If not, I'm sure someone will shed a half-decent cover corner in final cutdowns.

McCourty was coming off of a pro bowl season as a rookie, so your point is completely wrong. You're trying to apply hindsight to the day 1 2011 group, while inflating the pre-play worth of this current group of has beens and never (yet) was's.

Just to follow this up....

Leigh Bodden was also supposed to help by coming back from his 2010 injury. Instead, he ended up getting cut in October, and retiring.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST