PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rookie CB Darryl Roberts has significant injury, and may be out for the season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well that sucks. I thought he would make the 53.

Makes the chances of Ryan getting cut that much smaller. I would guess that Butler, Ryan, Fletcher and Brown are all near-locks, haven't really liked McClain's play so far in the PS so I dunno who to root for for the fifth spot. Haven't seen much of Jimmy Jean, but his size is intriguing at least.

http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=a00412

Most patients will be able to resume light activities, such as swimming or exercising the lower body in the gym, within 1 to 2 months after the cast is removed or within 1 to 2 months after surgery. Vigorous activities, such as skiing or football, may be resumed between 3 and 6 months after the injury.

He's one of our 3 best CBs IMO so I think it's worth keeping him if his time table is October 13th-January 13th.

http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=a00412

Most patients will be able to resume light activities, such as swimming or exercising the lower body in the gym, within 1 to 2 months after the cast is removed or within 1 to 2 months after surgery. Vigorous activities, such as skiing or football, may be resumed between 3 and 6 months after the injury.

He's one of our 3 best CBs IMO so I think it's worth keeping him if his time table is October 13th-January 13th.

No matter how good he's looked in camp so far, he's still a late round rookie. I'm not sure the Patriots want to use the DTR route on a situation like that. Rookies need time to get up to NFL speed, and by late season everyone else in the league is in full sprint. Asking a kid to come back from an injury AND fast track his development from half a pre-season game to second half NFL season intensity feels a bit unreasonable.

I have a feeling we should've drafted two CB in the draft instead of one

No matter how good he's looked in camp so far, he's still a late round rookie. I'm not sure the Patriots want to use the DTR route on a situation like that. Rookies need time to get up to NFL speed, and by late season everyone else in the league is in full sprint. Asking a kid to come back from an injury AND fast track his development from half a pre-season game to second half NFL season intensity feels a bit unreasonable.

So what do you do then? Put him on the practice squad?

Short term ir

We can't afford to waste it on an unproven rookie. We don't know who might go down and want to keep that bullet in the chamber for now.

Too bad. I was hoping he might make an impact come the end of the year like Butler did. Oh well. Maybe sign another vet CB then. I really don't think Ryan should make the cut and want a better option than him.

IR him for the season after cutdowns. Let him get healthy and make a run at a roster spot next year.

Yeah, unfortunately I think that's pretty much it. Was hopeful he'd provide some great depth, but using the DTR spot on him would be a mistake. Odds are that someone a lot more important than him will suffer a 6-8 week injury at some point in the first half of the season.

The recently introduced short term IR (in 2012) was a nice addition by the NFL, but I wish it was possible for at least 2-3 more players. It sucks that guys can't simply return when they're ready.

I totally get it from the roster management perspective of coaches/GMs, but with the way the rules are set up, it often forces unlucky injured players to sit out the entire season despite only having a short term injury. A bit harsh IMO.

This is mostly a big disadvantage for late round rookies and depth players trying to make their mark in the league. Whereas most starters are deemed valuable enough to take up that roster spot while injured.

Unfortunately it is career threatening.
Many players come out of nowhere (late picks, UDFA) to become good players.
Very few miss their entire rookie year in the league and come back to do much of anything.

The gap between players the day they are drafted is much smaller than the gap between them after a year of being an NFL player.

Sh*t. So now down to Butler, Brown, Fletcher, Ryan, McClain... I would guess the first four of them are likely to make the team, with McCourty as emergency depth/game-plan specific depth.

I still wish we had kept Browner. Imagine the physicality between him and Butler at CB.

Ryan and Fletcher really need to step up now.

I am not too worried. Brown, McClain and Fletcher are still learning how to play in this system. It'll take time.

No. 2011's secondary was in shambles. At least this one has a very good Safety, a promising CB that looks the part and a couple of veteran CB (Brown & Fletcher) that should be able to do an adequate job.

Is it worth cutting Ryan to get an another CB on the roster?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST