PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Roger Goodell "earned" $34.1M in 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe that some CEOs deserve such compensation. If under their leadership revenues grow, brand recognition goes up, costs go down, profits increase, new markets are cultivated and shareholder value increases exponentially then you can argue it easily.

The cold hard truth is that if the owners thought he sucked, he'd be gone. Clearly they view him as providing some value. Based on the criteria above you can argue Goody is worth the $34m in pay.

The issue here is that there is a very real question as to how much value/leadership Goodell actually provides.

I feel that even within capitalism there should be a way to limit the amount one employee of a company can make over another. If your company has employees that are making X a year, then nobody else in the company should make more than Y times that amount.

I feel that even within capitalism there should be a way to limit the amount one employee of a company can make over another. If your company has employees that are making X a year, then nobody else in the company should make more than Y times that amount.
I see what you are trying to say here. I'm philosophically against a cap on wages but thats convo over a beer and on another board.

I see what you are trying to say here. I'm philosophically against a cap on wages but thats convo over a beer and on another board.

One more response from me here and that's it.

If you look at it the other way around it isn't a cap. Just as an example, if you pay the top employee any amount you want, say 50 million, then you can't pay any other employee less than 1/1000th, or 50 thousand.

As Bill O'Reilly likes to say, you can have the last word. The difference between him and I though is that I mean it.

I just cannot believe that the Head Buffoon of the NFL has grossed 110 million over the past three years.

I wonder if Kraft voted to cut his salary after what the POS has done to the Pats. If that were true I would applaud him.

You would think that it would be in the best interest of the stockholders to reign it in a little at the top, right? After all, the board is supposed to operating on their behalf. But there is this problem that exists:

Principal–agent problem - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The principal–agent problem (also known as agency dilemma or theory of agency) occurs when one person or entity (the "agent") is able to make decisions on behalf of, or that impact, another person or entity: the "principal". The dilemma exists because sometimes the agent is motivated to act in his own best interests rather than those of the principal. The agent–principal relationship is a useful analytic tool in political science and economics, but may also apply to other areas.

Common examples of this relationship include corporate management (agent) and shareholders (principal), or politicians (agent) and voters (principal).

"Goodell's salary is $3.2 million and the rest of his compensation comes via bonuses from all 32 NFL owners. During the past year, the league signed a broadcasting deal with CBS for Thursday Night Football valued at $275 million, plus landed another contract with DirecTV for the exclusive rights to NFL Sunday Ticket for another cool $1.5 billion."
Let's count: Guess how much money Roger Goodell made last year?

His bonuses will go down when the league's profits go down. His salary remains the same, 3.2 mill

"Goodell's salary is $3.2 million and the rest of his compensation comes via bonuses from all 32 NFL owners. During the past year, the league signed a broadcasting deal with CBS for Thursday Night Football valued at $275 million, plus landed another contract with DirecTV for the exclusive rights to NFL Sunday Ticket for another cool $1.5 billion."

His bonuses will go down when the league's profits go down. His salary remains the same, 3.2 mill
So what's the dead money hit to cut him?

And oh yeah, if anyone wants to call him and let him know what you think of his job performance..........

Jon Erpenbach‏@JonErpenbach
You can leave a message for nfl commish roger goodell at 212 450 2027. #NFL

Here's the problem I have.

Did he really have that big of an impact on those negotiations? If he weren't around, would that 1.5B deal be worth only 1B? If so then maybe he deserves the payment. If not, then he's clearly way overpaid.

But the real problem is -- even if he's great at getting TV and merchandise contracts, he sucks when it comes to managing the gameplay and fairness -- his role should be 'NFL revenue chief' -- not 'Commissioner'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes