PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rodney Harrison not a Drake Maye guy

You have to assume the QB at #3 is good enough to get. The QB you pick doesn't magically become a great player because you drafted him high and really want him to be good. If they really don't love Maye, then there isn't a QB in this draft who should be picked that high regardless of how bad you need a QB, you are just burning a pick.

If there isn't, your options are to get the best player in the draft at a position you need or trade down and hope you can hit with whatever you get for that but it's going to be with picks less likely to hit than just drafting MHJ.

If you really don't like Maye, you are better off getting MHJ at #3 and then trading up into the 20's to get whoever is still around at QB between McCarthy and Penix
I doubt either QB will be available at #20.

Certainly not JJ.

Did you watch the Clemson game?
He was putrid. Worse performance I've seen by any college qb in 2023.
Charted every play he made in Clemson game, was not remotely close to that bad a performance, that's just a crazy statement. Not going to list every play and the details but safe to say you look at it in detail he played way better than you think.

This thread reminds me just how hard it will for whatever QB they draft to establish themselves in the eyes of this fanbase. We’re all effing QB experts. Just ask any of us.

New QB better get off to an incredible start like Brady, or he’s doomed to be picked apart by us experts who have no patience for struggles or the perspective not to expect perfection.

Then, all the camps reflected in this thread will unleash their”told you so” eroding the fanbase’s confidence in the QBs ability to eventually succeed, his teammates’s confidence in the QB, and finally the QBs confidence in himself to succeed. Then, we get to start the whole dance all over again.

Haven’t we Patriot fans suffered enough? It’s been 63 months since our team walked off a field as champions. That’s the 29th longest streak of futility ongoing in the NFL for goodness sakes.

We really don’t sound more intelligent when we’re negative, and I suspect most of us have a better sense of humor than to have to get a cheap chuckle being derogatory about someone.

To quote the bard, “Life’s a piece of sh*t when you look at it so always look on the bright side of life”.

Charted every play he made in Clemson game, was not remotely close to that bad a performance, that's just a crazy statement. Not going to list every play and the details but safe to say you look at it in detail he played way better than you think.
He was 16 of 36.
I'll say it again, 16 of 36.
209 yds 1 td 1 int

Seriously then, you don't know what you're doing

Have we spent any time with Rattler and Nix?
Rattler has always had a good arm and a little Mahomes in his in his style of play. He’s more of a 3rd round pick.

Nix, I like him more than most. He reminds me of a more talented Brock Purdy. One thing about Purdy, he just seems to have that “it” factor, just has the utmost confidence and belief in himself, that part is Brady-esque. Not the most talented QB, but you look at the stats, and he’s top 5 in both Yards and TD passes. He’s just good. Great luck by the 49ers getting him in the 7th round, they got a good one.

As far as Nix, like I said, he reminds me of a more talented Purdy. Better arm, better runner. But who knows if he has that “it” factor. I think he’s a really confident guy, and he certainly is talented.

If he doesn't go 3 he's going to go 4. And whatever team picks him will still be a team where he isn't literally the only thing he needs.

Context matters. WR is the most valuable offensive position after QB in the modern NFL. If the best player in the draft is a WR he's going to go high with only QB needy teams preventing him from being picked one if there is still first round talent available. Same with a Defensive lineman.

All 32 NFL teams would likely disagree. An elite OT would be the overwhelming favorite for the title of 2nd most valuable.

consistency issues, accuracy issues, tends to hold the ball too long (pressure to sack ratio is high).......none of those things tend to translate well to the NFL

Unless you are Josh Allen.

Seriously then, you don't know what you're doing
You quoted the box score stats, nothing to do with scouting the QB, I think analyzing every play is a little better way of judging a QB but you stick with the box score.
Maye is going to be a great pro, enough said. No use arguing with someone that thinks you judge a QB by a box score. I suppose if Manomes was put on a pee wee football team against an NFL team and went 0 for 20 you’d judge that he sucks.

Rattler has always had a good arm and a little Mahomes in his in his style of play. He’s more of a 3rd round pick.

Nix, I like him more than most. He reminds me of a more talented Brock Purdy. One thing about Purdy, he just seems to have that “it” factor, just has the utmost confidence and belief in himself, that part is Brady-esque. Not the most talented QB, but you look at the stats, and he’s top 5 in both Yards and TD passes. He’s just good. Great luck by the 49ers getting him in the 7th round, they got a good one.

As far as Nix, like I said, he reminds me of a more talented Purdy. Better arm, better runner. But who knows if he has that “it” factor. I think he’s a really confident guy, and he certainly is talented.
charlie weis loves nix (via sirius nfl radio)

All 32 NFL teams would likely disagree. An elite OT would be the overwhelming favorite for the title of 2nd most valuable.
An elite OT isn't going to impact an offense as much as an elite WR. Joe Thomas was on the Browns for years and was putting up a near all time career and they were having back to back 1-15 and 0-16 seasons. Look at what happened to the Bills once Josh Allen got Stefon Diggs. Mahomes comes to a team with the best WR and TE and he's off to the races. Burrow finally takes off once they get Chase. Tua and the Dolphins finally looking like a competent team.

The line is a unit, one guy can't save it. A WR can break apart an entire secondary.

To be fair he thought Quinn was the next Tom Brady
i hear you but imo he IS the reason quinn was overdrafted. he had a great college career once weis got ahold of him.
also,i am not saying nix is my choice at all let alone due to weis' opinion. :D

You quoted the box score stats, nothing to do with scouting the QB, I think analyzing every play is a little better way of judging a QB but you stick with the box score.
Maye is going to be a great pro, enough said. No use arguing with someone that thinks you judge a QB by a box score. I suppose if Manomes was put on a pee wee football team against an NFL team and went 0 for 20 you’d judge that he sucks.
Of course there's a lot more to scouting a qb than the box score.
But c'mon, man 16/36?
Even allowing for his receivers not getting open( though we both know he missed wide open receivers all season), 16/36 is still putrid.
That speaks to his biggest weakness: decision-making.
He needs to drastically improve that to be successful.
If we draft him I'm hopeful that he'll emulate Brady and study tons of film and get a better grasp of what defenses are doing.
Like I said before, I still think he's the best qb prospect in the draft. He has a huge ceiling.
Does he have the fire,drive and love of football to work his butt off to reach that ceiling? I don't know but he seems to have a good makeup and work ethic.

An elite OT isn't going to impact an offense as much as an elite WR. Joe Thomas was on the Browns for years and was putting up a near all time career and they were having back to back 1-15 and 0-16 seasons. Look at what happened to the Bills once Josh Allen got Stefon Diggs. Mahomes comes to a team with the best WR and TE and he's off to the races. Burrow finally takes off once they get Chase. Tua and the Dolphins finally looking like a competent team.

The line is a unit, one guy can't save it. A WR can break apart an entire secondary.
Mahomes just won back-to-back SBs with **** WRs, after deciding to trade their WR1 and invest heavily in the OL.

What have Burrow and Tua won with those elite? The horrible OL play has been the Bengals’ fatal flaw and has exposed Burrow to injury. Terrible OL play almost forced Tua into retirement.

The notion that NFL teams value receivers more than they do quality OTs an embarrassing take yet you and a few others here continue to dig your heels in.

Taking MHJ at 3 isn’t going to happen because Wolf isn’t a moron. For arguments sake, even if Wolf isn’t sold on the quarterbacks after Williams and felt that taking Penix later in the 1st was the better move, it would still be terrible value to take Harrison Jr. at 3 and there is zero chance that he would do it.

The obvious, and much smarter, move would be to trade down 6 and take Alt and you would probably be set at LT for the next 8 to 10 years. If Alt is gone and option B for Wolf is a WR, then he should take Nabers (if AZ doesn’t throw a curveball and take him instead of MHJ at 4) or Odunze and happily accept the extra draft capital.

Nabers/Odunze, 47, a 2025 2nd (which will like be a in the 35-45 range) is infinitely better than taking MHJ at 3, and that is being very conservative with what they would probably be able to get from the Giants. Anyone who cannot understand that should not be taken seriously seriously as a poster here.

Finally, in order to understand the value of an elite OT, one must first recognize that it is much harder to find quality OTs now than it was ago. That is an opinion, that is a fact that has been confirmed on multiple occasions by the executives and veteran OTs. If you want an elite LT, and you aren’t getting him in free agency and if you want him through a trade, it is going to cost you a lot more than the value of a top 10 pick, so if you need one (and you are set at QB, you take one in the draft and you take him early.

i hear you but imo he IS the reason quinn was overdrafted. he had a great college career once weis got ahold of him.
also,i am not saying nix is my choice at all let alone due to weis' opinion. :D
I wouldn’t hate the Nix pick my one friend has been hyping him up for years.

Mahomes just won back-to-back SBs with **** WRs, after deciding to trade their WR1 and invest heavily in the OL.

What have Burrow and Tua won with those elite? The horrible OL play has been the Bengals’ fatal flaw and has exposed Burrow to injury. Terrible OL play almost forced Tua into retirement.

The notion that NFL teams value receivers more than they do quality OTs an embarrassing take yet you and a few others here continue to dig your heels in.

Taking MHJ at 3 isn’t going to happen because Wolf isn’t a moron. For arguments sake, even if Wolf isn’t sold on the quarterbacks after Williams and felt that taking Penix later in the 1st was the better move, it would still be terrible value to take Harrison Jr. at 3 and there is zero chance that he would do it.

The obvious, and much smarter, move would be to trade down 6 and take Alt and you would probably be set at LT for the next 8 to 10 years. If Alt is gone and option B for Wolf is a WR, then he should take Nabers (if AZ doesn’t throw a curveball and take him instead of MHJ at 4) or Odunze and happily accept the extra draft capital.

Nabers/Odunze, 47, a 2025 2nd (which will like be a in the 35-45 range) is infinitely better than taking MHJ at 3, and that is being very conservative with what they would probably be able to get from the Giants. Anyone who cannot understand that should not be taken seriously seriously as a poster here.

Finally, in order to understand the value of an elite OT, one must first recognize that it is much harder to find quality OTs now than it was ago. That is an opinion, that is a fact that has been confirmed on multiple occasions by the executives and veteran OTs. If you want an elite LT, and you aren’t getting him in free agency and if you want him through a trade, it is going to cost you a lot more than the value of a top 10 pick, so if you need one (and you are set at QB, you take one in the draft and you take him early.
He won back to back Super Bowls with Travis Kelce who is a premier pass catcher. Take him off the team and put a league average TE and they lose.

Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
Back