PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rodney fires away at Manning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now I've shown you Polian saying the Mudd thing was mostly not about the Pension, so that eliminates the part where you were blaming the league. Now, here's someone who would fit under:

It's a Colts blogger.

Some clarity on Peyton Manning's frustration, the status of certain coaches, and othernick-knacks - Stampede Blue

He seems to have researched it, and he's not buying your story.

You left out the rest of that King article, which I believe was all about the pension situation if I remember correctly. It is obvious to everyone in the NFL world that is why they retired, at least that is what has been reported over and over and over again on TV and such. So if it wasn't about the pension, then noone has reported one time what the reason is.

And I don't care about some Colts' blogger. Manning clearly doesn't choose his words as carefully as that guy writes. Manning speaks from his heart and honestly. If he hasn't learned this even after 10 years with the Colts, then he still doesn't understand Manning. He wears his emotions on his sleeves, as you see during the game.

But more importantly, the blogger seems to think that Manning hasn't been told about the situation from the Colts, and that's why he said what he said. Do you really think that Bill Polian isn't keeping Manning abreast of the situation? Those guys work hand and hand on everything, so I don't know why people would think that.

And shouldn't you be praising him anyway if he was bashing Polian since yall hate Polian so much? :)

You're reaching here Deus.

don't even bother bringing up clayton. he's peyton's personal masseuse and colt's team jock sniffer.

That's hard to deny.:D

What about Mort? He did say from his own mouth on Sportscenter that night that he looked into what Manning was talking about and that it was the new intern hires Winters and Johnson.

LOL, I just saw that Blog call Ryan Lilja's health "THE key to the Colts having a championship caliber season."

King's take on the pension issue...

Now about the pension plan. The NFL changed its longstanding pension plan for employees, including assistant coaches, in March. In doing so the NFL allowed teams to either stay in a league plan or, presumably for less money, join a plan for a lower benefit level that teams would find on their own. Nine teams up to now have chosen to do their own plans, including Dallas and New England. Indianapolis likely will not opt out. But even if the Colts stay in the league plan, Moore and Mudd could be affected because of previous teams that employed them, according to Polian.
This is where it gets complicated. Employees who retire and take their pension can take it in one of three ways. One is as a lump sum, which is most desirable because then retirees can take the entire pension and invest the benefits as they see fit. The benefits belong to them and their heirs as long as the money lasts. Two is as an annuity, with annual payouts until the retiree dies. Three is as an annuity with annual payouts until the retiree and his spouse both die.
Obviously, the older a coach is when he retires, the less his life expectancy is. In the cases of Moore and Mudd, both of whom have had recent health concerns, they obviously wanted a lump-sum payment. But neither club or league lawyers could assure them that they'd be able to take a lump-sum payment if they retired beyond this year. Not because of what the Colts would do with their pension plan. ("The Colts will fund our plan fully,'' said Polian.) But because of what their previous employers would do. Mudd worked previously with San Diego, San Francisco, Seattle, Cleveland and Kansas City. Moore worked for Pittsburgh, Minnesota, Detroit and New Orleans.
If any of those teams funded their pension plan at less than 80 percent of the minimum standard for pension plans, Moore and Mudd risked not being able to take their retirement pensions in a lump sum. San Francisco and New Orleans are likely to opt out of the league pension plan; Minnesota might. So even though the Colts are likely to fund, as Polian says, neither the Colts nor advisers to Moore and Mudd could guarantee that they'd be able to take the lump-sum payment.
"This has been going on since February,'' said Polian. "And the fact is we just couldn't answer whether they'd be able to take the lump-sum or whether they'd have to take the pro-rata portion of the pension in an annuity. We think they'd be able to take the lump-sum, but can I look at both of them and say, 'Everyone's going to fund and you'll be able to take a lump sum when you retire?' And the answer was no.''
So Mudd and Moore, sure they'd be able to get the lump-sum if they opted out before the clubs changed, decided to retire now and take the full benefit. As one retirement planner without direct knowledge of the NFL's system told me over the weekend, it could be the difference between getting $1.2 million and being finished with your pension, or taking $60,000 a year until both a retiree and his spouse died. Under this scenario, if a retired coach took the annuity and died after seven years and his wife after eight, they'd get a total of $480,000 from their pension, instead of a lump-sum payment of $1.2 million, which presumably they could grow into a larger nest egg through investments.

Polian has said he get a different answer from just about everyone he talks to on the issue. The Colts obviously want Moore and Mudd back, but legally they have to jump through hoops to make sure everything is copasetic. Their issues aren't with the league or the coaches association, they are with the government and the laws surrounding pensions.

Last edited:
Every other team doesn't have two coaches that were at risk of losing half a million dollars or so each if they didn't retire. Read up on the story and it will explain the dilemna with those two. I think Peter King had a good story on it.

Well, you lose out if you die early. You gain if you live a long life. That's the difference between taking the lump sum payment and the annuity.

So, these coaches really, really want the cash up front and don't want to take the chance on getting an annuity (lifetime income). Again, it's only "losing money" if they die early. I don't think a lot of people understand that.

Well, you lose out if you die early. You gain if you live a long life. That's the difference between taking the lump sum payment and the annuity.

So, these coaches really, really want the cash up front and don't want to take the chance on getting an annuity (lifetime income). Again, it's only "losing money" if they die early. I don't think a lot of people understand that.

Moore is 70 and Mudd is 67. If they take annuity payments and die, their families get nothing more. Taking the lump sum allows them to reinvest their money in a down market and plan to take care of their families after they die.

Damn he is saying he's all good. What are we goign to debate about now?

"I feel like I have a good grasp of what's going on right now in terms of who's here," Manning said Friday. "There still are some unknowns out there. I feel like we will be in a good situation and that Coach [Jim] Caldwell will handle things accordingly."

"You can what-if yourself to death," Manning said as the Colts opened a three-day mandatory minicamp. "I do know Jim Caldwell has a plan. He kind of told me the either-or scenario, and I'll be there to support it whatever way we go."

Peyton says Colts' answers on coaching staff satisfactory - NFL - CBSSports.com Football

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back