PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rodney fires away at Manning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even in retirement I love Rodney. About time one of these talking heads is a Pats ball washer. FNIA is now must see TV in my home.

I see what he's saying and I agree with the emotions part of it that he mentions, but I just don't agree that it is going to affect how the rest of the team prepares. Manning is a guy who is out there every day in practice and such, so the players will know from that what his mindset is. You think Dallas Clark learned through the media that Peyton was frustrated about the situation? Manning is out there every day working with Garcon and the other WRs on the field and in the weight room, and that's what players will take a cue from. One quote to the press that is something beyond the rest of those players duties is not going to have nearly as much affect on them as what happens behind the scenes every day. Manning is totally behind Caldwell considering he has been his QBs coach for years, and that will also show up as the year goes on. What he said in the middle of an interview in May isn't going to affect anything.

I don't think it would affect how the rest of the team prepares. I actually don't think its a big deal at all. What I'm trying to do is look at Mannings comments and the reaction to them in a box. I think in this situation Harrison was correct and I bet Manning regrets the statement. manning has had a history of deflecting any blame from himself so I do find the situation interesting. However, this does has zero impact on anything the Colts are doing to prepare for the season or intergrate a new staff.

I understand Manning's frustration as it does suck to go to work and have a boss you feel is clueless. However if you are dealing with your customer for the sake of the business you would think you are not going to embarrass the entire companies name by calling out the people in charge. There are many times we all would like to do it but for the most part we don't. We just discuss it with other workers and try to get issues solved internally.

Although I think the Colts from the owner on down are also equally to blame for leaving Manning out of the mix, two wrongs don't make a right. With all that's gone down so far I'd be mighty impressed with the Colts if they could go 10-6 this season. Right now I think they are gonna have problems competing for the Division never mind staying out of last place in it. They didn't need this chirade and it has compounded things greatly while the Division keeps getting stronger.

Anyone who says this isn't a big deal isn't really looking at the big picture of good coaching and players coming to a fine line to produce victories.

I do like Donald Brown in that offense though. I think he will do fantastic there.

Retired less than one day and he's still sacking Manning.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha

I almost choked on my Cheerios. And in front of St. Dungy!

Already loving Rodney in his new form of work. I'm sure everyone else here is as well (until he rips on someone in a Pats uniform down the road).

I think we've all ripped a Pats uniform at some point. I mean it would be funny if he started ripping into Bethel johnson.

I don't totally disagree with everything Rodney said, but I also don't think it's as big of a deal as he is making it seem. The only issue Manning has IMO is that he has an incomplete coaching staff in June. Brady and most other QBs haven't had to deal with that. Manning's comments had nothing to do with Caldwell or Christensen and everything to do with the Mudd/Moore situation not being resolved yet. They have had an incomplete coaching staff at OTAs bc the two new hires just got there a week ago and are learning the system. This pension issue should have been resolved back in March and IMO that is why Manning is frustrated. The Colts are the only team in the NFL still hiring people in late May, and that's what the media is failing to report IMO.

I get the general flow of your point and you're right that the Colts' coaching situation has been a cluster.... since Dungy moved on to smaller and better things, but the Fivehead has got to remember that nobody wants to be following a whiny brat who pouts every time things go a little lit off plumb. Whether he likes it or not, the QB is the natural leader of a football team, and it's an unwritten part of his job, because of that role, that he can't go acting as if he's got sand in his thong the moment things aren't absolutely perfect.

For the record, his G.M. is far worse than he is, and he should get a little slack because he's got Polian as a role model, but he was around Dungy long enough that he should know better. This is the sort of stuff that should not get aired in public.

I get the general flow of your point and you're right that the Colts' coaching situation has been a cluster.... since Dungy moved on to smaller and better things, but the Fivehead has got to remember that nobody wants to be following a whiny brat who pouts every time things go a little lit off plumb. Whether he likes it or not, the QB is the natural leader of a football team, and it's an unwritten part of his job, because of that role, that he can't go acting as if he's got sand in his thong the moment things aren't absolutely perfect.

For the record, his G.M. is far worse than he is, and he should get a little slack because he's got Polian as a role model, but he was around Dungy long enough that he should know better. This is the sort of stuff that should not get aired in public.

People are entitled to pout once or twice in their lives, especially in May.

His analysis was great...but his retort of Dungy is classic. No bowing to the coach, standing by his position and reiterating his point again.

The two might make watching NBC's pregame show tolerable.

Last edited:
Rodney and Dungy may go at it live and right in front of our eyes sometime this year :)
I'm sure Rodney would be trembling at the sight of Mr. Quiet Strength himself :D

People are entitled to pout once or twice in their lives, especially in May.

Only a Colt fan would advocate pout entitlement.

Is that in the Colt constitution, the right to pout?:cry2:

Did anyone read the comments under the story? That one little bee-yatch was complaining that "it's a leader's job to question things in public." :rolleyes:

Big difference between questioning things and running to the media every time you're upset about something in your workplace.

Peyton has always shown a whiney side. He's cried about the defense before, and thrown his O-line under the bus after playoff games (I believe it was after the Steelers game a few years back). He's a great QB, but there's really no denying that he's a whiner at times, as are many in the Colts organization.

Anyway, I'm glad to see Rodney is already making his presence felt as an analyst. Hopefully that NBC show will be more tolerable with him there.

Last edited by a moderator:
One, it's a huge stretch to say that Peyton was panicking.

Two, for those that say Harrison will be great and tells it like it is...will he not hold back and be critical about the Pats? And what happens to everyone's opinion of him if he rips the team or coaching?

One, it's a huge stretch to say that Peyton was panicking.

Two, for those that say Harrison will be great and tells it like it is...will he not hold back and be critical about the Pats? And what happens to everyone's opinion of him if he rips the team or coaching?

You know, Rodney is one of the very few players I can recall who agreed to a restructure that actually gave up money (no, I'm not talking about the kind of restructures Polian and Namming and Harrison did every year where they just changed what the called the money to create cap space...) as he was coming back from a devastating injury and he didn't even cry once. I think if he comes out right now and rips player holdouts he'd be even more popular here 'cause we got one. Again. :D

Sure there will be the usual suspects who circle the wagons and call Rodney a traitor. We'll cross that bridge if and when we come to it. Rodney's been a pretty straight shooter. For now he's on Manning and Favre and he's on the money in both instances...

Maybe this is the updated this years excuse for why they will suck.

Last year, Manning sucked in Nov/Dec because he missed training camp. This year, it will be because of the coaches.

Sorry, but Manning is throwing the coaching staff under the bus. Twttle Dumb and Twittle Dumber apparently retired because of pension issues. I despise Polian but that really seems to be a league related issue.

Nice way to support your coach.

Maybe this is the updated this years excuse for why they will suck.

Last year, Manning sucked in Nov/Dec because he missed training camp. This year, it will be because of the coaches.

Sorry, but Manning is throwing the coaching staff under the bus. Twttle Dumb and Twittle Dumber apparently retired because of pension issues. I despise Polian but that really seems to be a league related issue.

Nice way to support your coach.

You obviously have no clue what Manning said if you think he threw the coaching staff under the bus.

You obviously have no clue what Manning said if you think he threw the coaching staff under the bus.

Ummmm....

"It's not a situation that I'm just thrilled about,'' he said. "I think the communication has been pretty poor in my opinion. Somebody says one thing, then somebody else says another thing.

"I'm not sure everybody's on the same page in this building. I'm just trying to focus on playing quarterback well.''

"It's not normal not having a full coaching staff,'' Manning said. "I know we hired a couple of guys to come in, but these guys are learning. They're not offering a lot of coaching out there, I can assure you of that.''

If that's not tossing them under the bus, please make sure to have cameras and tape recorders around for something you would feel IS doing so. My guess is that it would involve beatings or murders, and I don't want to miss it.

Ummmm....

If that's not tossing them under the bus, please make sure to have cameras and tape recorders around for something you would feel IS doing so. My guess is that it would involve beatings or murders, and I don't want to miss it.

Umm, he stated the obvious. Winters and Johnson were "just hired to come in" a few days earlier and therefore "are learning" the system, so of course they aren't doing any coaching on the field. If you read the comments, it is obvious that he is not talking about Caldwell or the coordinator. He is simply frustrated that they don't "have a full coaching staff".

Only a Colt fan would advocate pout entitlement.

Is that in the Colt constitution, the right to pout?:cry2:

The right to be frustrated in May is in any constitution. It is a human emotion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News