PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rodney fires away at Manning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe this is the updated this years excuse for why they will suck.

Last year, Manning sucked in Nov/Dec because he missed training camp. This year, it will be because of the coaches.

Sorry, but Manning is throwing the coaching staff under the bus. Twttle Dumb and Twittle Dumber apparently retired because of pension issues. I despise Polian but that really seems to be a league related issue.

Nice way to support your coach.

Yet, in the end, they never suck and it never matters. No difference than how spygate, coaching changes, or whatever hasn't affected the Pats.

Umm, he stated the obvious. Winters and Johnson were "just hired to come in" a few days earlier and therefore "are learning" the system, so of course they aren't doing any coaching on the field. If you read the comments, it is obvious that he is not talking about Caldwell or the coordinator. He is simply frustrated that they don't "have a full coaching staff".

I must have read the whole thing, given that I also wrote and posted a 'translation' of it. You Colts fans will simply have to deal with the reality that Manning, once again, threw team members under the bus. This time it was the coaching staff and front office. After the next incomplete pass, sack or blown play of any kind, it'll be someone else.

Frankly, it might be best if the team brought back the "liquored up kicker" to serve as Peyton's whipping boy until Peyton, mighty Peyton, learns that part of being a leader is knowing when NOT to open your mouth.

Rodney's right and I for one will completely enjoy not having to listen to the Manning Media Gush that's gone on incessently for the last 10 years. Rodney loves the game and he understands what team attitude is all about,plus he doesn't put up with the bs.

I love media Rodney and I look forward to more of his commentary :)

I must have read the whole thing, given that I also wrote and posted a 'translation' of it. You Colts fans will simply have to deal with the reality that Manning, once again, threw team members under the bus. This time it was the coaching staff and front office. After the next incomplete pass, sack or blown play of any kind, it'll be someone else.

Frankly, it might be best if the team brought back the "liquored up kicker" to serve as Peyton's whipping boy until Peyton, mighty Peyton, learns that part of being a leader is knowing when NOT to open your mouth.

You read a couple sentences out of the interview.

“I really can’t tell you that I know what’s going on. I will say that I don’t think it’s been the most properly communicated scenario around here. We have learned to deal with change and be prepared to adjust. It’s still somewhat of an open book the last I’ve heard of it. The thing right now we work on is, during these individual sessions and individual drills, is working on my footwork and my quarterback skills. The next two weeks of team work we’ll be working on our basic fundamental plays before training camp starts. That’s what we’re focused on right now. We’ll see what happens once training camp rolls around.”

“I would say that. We are always looking to tweak things and change things and see who is going to fit into the system. I wouldn’t say I totally like the way it is right now. It’s not normal not having a full coaching staff. I know we hired a couple of guys to come in but these guys are learning. They aren’t offering a lot of coaching out there, I can assure you of that. It’s not a situation that I’m just thrilled about and like I said, I think communication has been pretty poor in my opinion, but it’s what we’re dealing with. The hard work is what is going on right now and that’s the most important thing and I think that’s what will carry us through. It’s good for Donald Brown and Austin Collie to see how hard (Anthony) Gonzalez works and see how hard (Joseph) Addai works and whoever it may be to really set the tone. This offseason work is a lot about players sort of setting the tempo and the coaches have always let the players set the tempo. That’s what is going on right now."

“I really don’t know anymore than what you know. Somebody says one thing and then somebody else says another thing. I’m not sure everybody is completely on the same page in this building. So, I’m just trying to focus on playing quarterback well. These individual sessions that we have with these young receivers really pay off. I can remember last year having about two private 45-minute sessions with Gijon Robinson just working on some things. You don’t know when it’s going to come to fruition. I remember the Cincinnati game last year when all of the sudden he has eight catches and Dallas (Clark) is wondering what is going on, ‘All these balls that use to come to me are going to Gijon.’ I’m telling you I feel that work in the third week of May, and some of those things he and I talked about, and all of a sudden it gave him confidence and it gave me confidence to go to him. So, we hope those pay off for these young guys somewhere in the course of the season.”

“I’m not 100% ready to go into that what-if scenario, because I just don’t know, but I will say this about Clyde. Clyde and I spend a lot of time talking together during the week (over the years). He gives me great insight on the receivers and what they like, ‘Hey, Reggie thinks he can get deep on an out-and-up or Marvin knows he can beat (the defensive back) on a post corner. Gonzalez feels better about this route.’ And Clyde, for the most part the last few years, has been implementing our third-down package and our red-zone package, and I want to say, last year for sure, that we were No. 1 in both categories in third down and red-zone. Tom (Moore) has given him great flexibility and input or leeway, whatever the word is. Anytime Clyde has an idea Tom has let him offer that. It has been a healthy relationship. Clyde has been very instrumental on what we’ve done on offense and, no doubt, has had a huge impact on our receivers coaching them individually.”

There's frustration there, but it's in relation to the lack of communication and would be with the front office.

His refence to the coaching, he was talking about the guys that had hired the week before to replace the guys that had been promoted. It has nothing to do with the main guys in place, he's talking about the new interns/coaches. No way you can expect them to be coaching yet, can you Deus?

There's frustration there, but it's in relation to the lack of communication and would be with the front office.

His refence to the coaching, he was talking about the guys that had hired the week before to replace the guys that had been promoted. It has nothing to do with the main guys in place, he's talking about the new interns/coaches. No way you can expect them to be coaching yet, can you Deus?

Yes, of course there is. Peyton obviously feels the same way.

They got there a week ago, so of course they're not doing any coaching. So he merely stated an obvious fact, he didn't level any criticism.

Yes, of course there is. Peyton obviously feels the same way.

No he doesn't. He simply feels that this situation should have been resolved months earlier, so therefore these new guys could have been hired then and fully immersed with the system by now. Instead, the Colts are the only team in the NFL that doesn't have a fully working coaching staff in late May bc the NFL could not decide what options were available for Mudd/Moore under the pension system.

They got there a week ago, so of course they're not doing any coaching. So he merely stated an obvious fact, he didn't level any criticism.

Are you guys seriously going to try claiming that you can't coach for weeks after getting signed to a job? Are you really that far up in Manning's jock?

No he doesn't. He simply feels that this situation should have been resolved months earlier, so therefore these new guys could have been hired then and fully immersed with the system by now. Instead, the Colts are the only team in the NFL that doesn't have a fully working coaching staff in late May bc the NFL could not decide what options were available for Mudd/Moore under the pension system.

You really are that far up Manning's shorts. I feel for you. I really do. I had it this bad once.

Of course, that involved a woman rather than a male football player, but I'm sure it's a similar enough thing that I can relate.

Last edited:
Are you guys seriously going to try claiming that you can't coach for weeks after getting signed to a job? Are you really that far up in Manning's jock?

Yes, when they are two guys who have 0 coaching experience like Frank Winters and Johnson, they aren't going to be doing much coaching after only being there a few days. The Colts system is much different than what Winters had as a player with the Packers, for example.

Yes, when they are two guys who have 0 coaching experience like Frank Winters and Johnson, they aren't going to be doing much coaching after only being there a few days. The Colts system is much different than what Winters had as a player with the Packers, for example.

It's coaching. Generic coaching doesn't need weeks of preparation, in any sport. Any established coach can work on basic fundamentals from the moment they hit the playing surface.

It's coaching. Generic coaching doesn't need weeks of preparation, in any sport. Any established coach can work on basic fundamentals from the moment they hit the playing surface.

They aren't established coaches. And the Colts OL system is different than most others as well.

They aren't established coaches. And the Colts OL system is different than most others as well.

Ok, so let's play along for argument's sake....

Is it better than he threw his front office under the bus? Is that showing more leadership somehow? I don't agree with your take. But, even conceding the point for the time being, he was still tossing members of his organization under the bus.

Ok, so let's play along for argument's sake....

Is it better than he threw his front office under the bus? Is that showing more leadership somehow? I don't agree with your take. But, even conceding the point for the time being, he was still tossing members of his organization under the bus.

I don't know that he was even tossing front office under the bus. Everyone is/was confused about the situation bc the NFL kept giving different answers. And do you think it's a coincidence that after Peyton said what he did, that Larry Kennan finally came out publically late that afternoon and said that Moore/Mudd could return as consultants?

If the NFL could have got this situation figured out earlier, then he wouldn't have ever opened up his mouth.

I don't know that he was even tossing front office under the bus. Everyone is/was confused about the situation bc the NFL kept giving different answers. And do you think it's a coincidence that after Peyton said what he did, that Larry Kennan finally came out publically late that afternoon and said that Moore/Mudd could return as consultants?

If the NFL could have got this situation figured out earlier, then he wouldn't have ever opened up his mouth.

Shockingly, every other team has been able to work it out at least to the point of their QB not getting sand in the thong. Meanwhile, Peyton is saying:

I’m not sure everybody is completely on the same page in this building.

The thing right now we work on is, during these individual sessions and individual drills, is working on my footwork and my quarterback skills. The next two weeks of team work we’ll be working on our basic fundamental plays before training camp starts.

By the way, Indystar, along with pretty much every other media outlet, disagrees with your take on this.

Shockingly, every other team has been able to work it out at least to the point of their QB not getting sand in the thong. Meanwhile, Peyton is saying:

By the way, Indystar, along with pretty much every other media outlet, disagrees with your take on this.

Every other team doesn't have two coaches that were at risk of losing half a million dollars or so each if they didn't retire. Read up on the story and it will explain the dilemna with those two. I think Peter King had a good story on it.

And the media members that actually bother to research what Manning was talking about agree with my take. Peter King, Chris Mortensen, John Clayton. And the Indystar really is a terrible football newspaper for one, but they weren't bashing Manning either.

As for every other media outlet, I really don't care what media members who are too lazy to research a subject have to say. If they researched it like the ones I mentioned did, then they would know what he was talking about. But like usual with the small market Colts, they don't.

Every other team doesn't have two coaches that were at risk of losing half a million dollars or so each if they didn't retire. Read up on the story and it will explain the dilemna with those two. I think Peter King had a good story on it.

And the media members that actually bother to research what Manning was talking about agree with my take. Peter King, Chris Mortensen, John Clayton. And the Indystar really is a terrible football newspaper for one, but they weren't bashing Manning either.

As for every other media outlet, I really don't care what media members who are too lazy to research a subject have to say. If they researched it like the ones I mentioned did, then they would know what he was talking about. But like usual with the small market Colts, they don't.

You've really got to take off the goggles.

"This,'' Indy GM Bill Polian told me over the weekend, "is about 1-percent related to changes in the pension system.''

The Colts have been thinking for the last couple of years that either Moore, 70, or Mudd, 67, would retire. They've been preparing for it. The new offensive coordinator, Clyde Christensen, has been the receivers coach for seven years; he'll formulate the game plan in concert with former quarterbacks coach Jim Caldwell, now the head coach, who has also been on staff for seven years. The new offensive line coach, former Bills tight end Pete Metzelaars, has been on staff for five years, working under Mudd as his apprentice. The successor-in-waiting for Mudd, Metzelaars coached the unit on the field during practice for three weeks in 2008 while Mudd was mostly in the office recovering from a knee replacement. The only relatively new kid on the block will be Frank Reich, who moves from offensive quality control coach to quarterback coach.

"I think these are two of the greatest assistant coaches of their time,'' said Polian. "But when you watch us this year, from a recognition standpoint, you won't be able to tell the difference. The idea of a succession plan has been in place for some time.''

Tom Moore, Howard Mudd leaving won't slow Indianapolis Colts - Peter King - SI.com

What's your point? :confused:

Manning tossed members of his organization under the bus. Again.

You're the one trying to claim otherwise. I granted for the argument that he was not throwing the coaches under the bus, even though I think he did (intentionally or otherwise) with his comments about them not coaching. Even under that, I noted that he would then be tossing other members of the team under the bus.

Now I've shown you Polian saying the Mudd thing was mostly not about the Pension, so that eliminates the part where you were blaming the league. Now, here's someone who would fit under:

As for every other media outlet, I really don't care what media members who are too lazy to research a subject have to say. If they researched it like the ones I mentioned did, then they would know what he was talking about.

It's a Colts blogger.

Some clarity on Peyton Manning's frustration, the status of certain coaches, and othernick-knacks - Stampede Blue

He seems to have researched it, and he's not buying your story.

don't even bother bringing up clayton. he's peyton's personal masseuse and colt's team jock sniffer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes