PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rob Ninkovich appreciation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I, for one, am dying to hear a detailed analysis as to why Ninkovich is Pierre Woods 2.0. Those who have argued that he can contribute in a meaningful way at least presented some basis to their thought. Coming here, saying "he's Pierre Woods 2.0", and then proceeding to imply your opinion carries the same weight as Belichick's because of the personnel he has put on the field defensively is just dumb contrarianism.
I dubbed him Pierre Woods 2.0 because of the hype he receives on this board for no apparent reason. Like Woods, many fans on this message board are hyping him up when he hasn't done jack in his career or much last season to warrant him being a legitimate starter in the NFL. Cunningham should win the starting job by default.

The personnel on the defensive side of the ball the last 2 seasons were really bad. I had no problem trading away Vrabel as it was time for him to go. But the Pats clearly didn't have a plan by not drafting any LB's in 2009, traded a 3rd and a 5th for Burgess and ended up fielded one of the worst 3-4 LB's in the NFL.

Last edited:
Good post. I thought ninkovich stood out among the other LBs at the end of the year, especially in the pass rush department. I would see him flying around and think "why is he not on the field more often"?

At the very least I think he will be a big part of the competition for the other starting OLB spot.

On a side note, people need to stop leaning on the Was Nothing When We Signed Him argument to defend every no-name defensive free agent the pats bring in. Almost ten years later it's quite clear that MV is the exception not the rule when it comes to under the radar free agent defenders.

so you see him as a starter ? he could not beat out any of the saints LB's to get any playing time at all.

Can you name the LBers in the Saints organization who were in front of him in 2008??? Scott Fujita, Scott Shanle, and Jonathan Vilma. How about in 2006, when he was a rookie?? OH YEAH.. That's right. 2006 was when he suffered his first major knee injury in the 3rd game of the season..

In 2007 and part of 2008, Ninkovich was with the Dolphins. He played in 3 games, primarily as a Special Teams player, in 2007.

First full season or not if he was any more then just good dept he would have played more then the 105 snaps he got last year in 15 games

Ninkovich also played on special teams. You also seem to overlook that some players take longer to blossom than others. And with him having lost a year with injury and then bouncing between the Phins squad, the Phins Practice Squad, and New Orleans, it's kinda tough to really get established.

Now, I am not saying that Ninkovich is going to be a star. I don't know. But selling him short because of his injury and then because he was earning his stripes on special teams seems pretty daft if you ask me.

Good post. I thought ninkovich stood out among the other LBs at the end of the year, especially in the pass rush department. I would see him flying around and think "why is he not on the field more often"?

At the very least I think he will be a big part of the competition for the other starting OLB spot.

On a side note, people need to stop leaning on the Was Nothing When We Signed Him argument to defend every no-name defensive free agent the pats bring in. Almost ten years later it's quite clear that MV is the exception not the rule when it comes to under the radar free agent defenders.
Wasn't leaning on the "Was Nothing When We Signed Him" argument when I brought up Vrabel; what I said was: "Not saying Ninkovich will be either the next Vrabel, or the next Pierre Woods, but how about we all wait a bit longer before rushing to judgement? I'm certainly not ready to anoint him as the team's defensive savior, but I'm not ready to run him out of town either."

Yes, you are correct, Vrabel is the exception and not the rule. But by the same token the "Has Done Nothing Previously Therefore Will Do Nothing In The Future" argument is equally invalid. NFL history is full of players with careers that did not get rolling till their 2nd, 3rd, 4th year.

Aside from being in multiple systems and the injuries early in his NFL career, another thing to consider is that Ninkovich had to adapt from the 4-3 to the 3-4. just one other thing to think about before rushing to snap judgements.

Last edited:
You're right, in fact I don't know what the Pats were thinking when they signed that other guy with zero starts and 27 tackles in his first four years either.

In case you couldn't figure out who that was, Mike Vrabel says hi.

Not saying Ninkovich will be either the next Vrabel, or the next Pierre Woods, but how about we all wait a bit longer before rushing to judgement? I'm certainly not ready to anoint him as the team's defensive savior, but I'm not ready to run him out of town either. The team has other options as well so it's not as if Ninkovich is being handed the starting position, or even a roster spot.

tell me were i said im runing him out of town ? i said he is good dept.

and vrabel started 12 games and had 63 tackles 3 sacks and 2 INT's he's first year with the pats

Can you name the LBers in the Saints organization who were in front of him in 2008??? Scott Fujita, Scott Shanle, and Jonathan Vilma. How about in 2006, when he was a rookie?? OH YEAH.. That's right. 2006 was when he suffered his first major knee injury in the 3rd game of the season..

In 2007 and part of 2008, Ninkovich was with the Dolphins. He played in 3 games, primarily as a Special Teams player, in 2007.

Ninkovich also played on special teams. You also seem to overlook that some players take longer to blossom than others. And with him having lost a year with injury and then bouncing between the Phins squad, the Phins Practice Squad, and New Orleans, it's kinda tough to really get established.

Now, I am not saying that Ninkovich is going to be a star. I don't know. But selling him short because of his injury and then because he was earning his stripes on special teams seems pretty daft if you ask me.

fair a nuff we will wait and see i hope you are right and he dose turn into a realy good player

OT: hey, I live north of Chicago, any bars to watch Patriots games?
In regards to Ninkovich, any LB in BB's system might take a few years to develop.
LMAO, for the posters who question BB's defensive personnel. Evidently, if you don't win the Superbowl more then three out of four you really suck.

I'm not too familiar with Chicago but in Joliet there is Heros and Legends West which is right off rte 80 at the Houbolt exit. They have televisions everywhere and you can pretty much request which game you want to see.
You can get 80 from 55 btw. The exit would be the very next one heading east on 80.

Wasn't leaning on the "Was Nothing When We Signed Him" argument when I brought up Vrabel; what I said was: "Not saying Ninkovich will be either the next Vrabel, or the next Pierre Woods, but how about we all wait a bit longer before rushing to judgement? I'm certainly not ready to anoint him as the team's defensive savior, but I'm not ready to run him out of town either."

Yes, you are correct, Vrabel is the exception and not the rule. But by the same token the "Has Done Nothing Previously Therefore Will Do Nothing In The Future" argument is equally invalid. NFL history is full of players with careers that did not get rolling till their 2nd, 3rd, 4th year.

Aside from being in multiple systems and the injuries early in his NFL career, another thing to consider is that Ninkovich had to adapt from the 4-3 to the 3-4. just one other thing to think about before rushing to snap judgements.

Yeah wasn't meaning your post in particular re: vrable comparisons, just something I tend to notice gets brought up a lot like it's a common thing for another teams backup to come to the nep and blossom. Sadly that's just not the case.

All that said I really like RN and think he could be a pleasant surprise next season. :) Was very happy when I saw they extended him. Always a good to see coming off one those quickie one year deals.

I love these vociferous arguments about players with no history we know little about. He's in the mix, if he looks good to you, great.

I guess that's what this time of year is about.

I'm not too familiar with Chicago but in Joliet there is Heros and Legends West which is right off rte 80 at the Houbolt exit. They have televisions everywhere and you can pretty much request which game you want to see.
You can get 80 from 55 btw. The exit would be the very next one heading east on 80.

Is 363839 your inmate number, Joliet Jake? ;)

Is 363839 your inmate number, Joliet Jake? ;)

That's a good one, Patjew. I like it.:)
They are the Pats winning SuperBowl numbers.

23 tackles and 1 sack in he's 4 year Career says he is not a starter. he is good dept noting more

Harrison of Pittsburgh had 45 tackles and one sack in 3 years and was also cut from numerous teams in that period... he says hi

so you see him as a starter ? he could not beat out any of the saints LB's to get any playing time at all.

first full season or not if he was any more then just good dept he would have played more then the 105 snaps he got last year in 15 games

He played DE not LB in the Saints 4-3, but your point that he wasn't good enough to get on the field is correct.

LOLB is on paper the weakest of the 22 starting positions. Do I see him as starter ? Yes, because he doesn't have to be good, he just has to be better than Woods (he is) Murrell (NYJ version of Woods), Burgess (hasn't proven he can play anything but as a hand on the ground pass rusher), Crable (Injury prone unknown) and Cunningham (Rookie making a transition to a new position).

Last edited:
So Vrabel must have sucked because he couldn't get any playing time either :rolleyes:

Has anyone actually read the article linked, or is everyone stuck in the "He wasn't a high draft pick so he must suck" mode?

I'm cautiously excited about him, but I want to clarify what I'm excited about.

I'm not excited that they might have a potential 3 down linebacker who is gonna make an impact like Mike Vrabel, or anything close. I am however excited that he might be able to play decent solid strong side OLB, which is one of this team's biggest question marks right now. I think at this point it's unrealistic to believe he can be anything more then a part timer, but at the same time saying that a rookie, making a position swap, playing in this defense, is a starter by default, is an incredibly stupid assumption.

Last edited:
On a side note, people need to stop leaning on the Was Nothing When We Signed Him argument to defend every no-name defensive free agent the pats bring in.
Jeez, way to over-react. EVERY no-name defensive free agent? Care to link to a few threads to support this?

The posts you refer to were not made to defend every free agent signed. They were in response to the ridiculous, "Someone cut him so he cannot be any good" comment that is made about Ninkovich. Mentioning Vrabel was the logical choice because both players were OLBs who got zilch for playing time with their old team. Could also have said James Harrison who was cut by the steelers the year after they let Vrabel go. The Steelers did eventually sign him, but he was cut so he must suck? Anyway, all this doesn't mean the Nink will be a star, only that the "he was cut so he must suck" position you guys take is in error.

The example could have been Wes Welker who was cut by the Chargers. Or Bob Keuchenberg (sp?) who had about a dozen probowls after the dolphins picked him off the scrap heap.

Anyway, it's time for bed...

Harrison of Pittsburgh had 45 tackles and one sack in 3 years and was also cut from numerous teams in that period... he says hi

Give him a break. He'd not started on the HGH yet.

I have been to New Lenox playing at the Sanctury a few times last year. I am rooting for the Ninkovich kid. He has the midwestern toughness.

It is puzzling that we did not spend a higher draft pick to grab one of stud Michigan LBs like Harris, Woodley, Graham (these everyone wanted); instead BB went for a castoff like Woods (on the cheap). Other teams stocked up with new talents we could have gotten (Woodley, Cushing, Mathews, Harris, Maualuga). These probowl level players were easily within our grab in last few years. PPL mentioned character issues (with USC trio) and scheme fit (which are just excuses for misses). Talent is talent, and you should be able to control a young player playing on his first contract. I do hope BB will give Crable opportunities because I could easily see him as our OLB of the future. Most people on this board think little of the kid; he could be an impact player somewhere, if not here.

Great thread, Crowell33. Ninkovich was born in New Lenox, Il which is where my shop is and he grew up in Joliet, IL which is where I live so he's been my binky since signing with the Pats.
It's cool to see him get some recognition and appreciation from some of the fans on this forum.

Last edited:
Hope you have to change you screen name next Feb :D

I was hoping to do that a couple of seasons ago.
But I don't want to talk about it!:mad::bricks:

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes