PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rivers and James released; Mays and Thomas promoted; Asante officially activated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Pats Moves

I think BB is constantly looking for the next Mark Bavaro.

Very Don Quixote-ish.

I predict we'll take a TE in the 1st two rounds next year.

Psst...David Thomas...pass it on...

Anybody else a little surprised they didn't re-sign Rashad Moore instead? I don't think he qualifies for the veteran salary guarantee.
I never did see why Breer, among others, felt so high on Moore's play in preseason, he didn't appear to play NT any better than LeKevin did. Worse perhaps, since I believe he might have gotten more reps at NT last season while on the Jest and definitely was behind Smith on the preseason depth chart. As it stands now, Santonio backs up Jarvis and Smith backs up Warren and Wilfork - in a pinch I think Santonio could play the nose, though I don't ever remember seeing him takes reps there in a preseason game. I'm expecting Brown to be inactive, but if he's available he could be a 3-tech on passing downs

Good point about Rivers, the other possibility is that Brady is alright and they expect Thomas back next week.

Last edited:
This seems the logical conclusion.

TIGHT END
We have three healthy TE's, and we only need two active, so we gave Thomas another week to recover. Given how much the third TE plays, this could have alot this year. We certainly don't need four TE's. We would only keep a 4th TE if he was great at something else. Neither Mills nor Rivers qualified.

CORNERS
We could sign one next week, or not. I think we started with three last year.
I think we're fine with Meriweather at nickel or Andrews. I expect us to add a corner and drop Baker in the near future.

SPECIAL TEAMS
Mays should be active in order to play special teams. I think BB is glad no one picked him up. He's a pretty good special teamer.

INACTIVES
Wright
Baker
Thomas
Yates
Britt
Gaffney (we have absolutely no need for a #4 WR who can't play ST's.

Good point about Rivers, the other possibility is that Brady is alright and they expect Thomas back next week.

Before I drive up to Mt. Hope, PA in the next few minutes, where I'll probably watch the game at the Bear's Den in Hershey (Murphy's will have to wait for another weekend), let me quickly add my 2 cents:

My worst fears for the Linebackers have been realized. Izzo, Mays and Alexander are all back on the 53. And add the never-was, never-will-be named David Herron, and once again, the NEP have the worst backup LBs in the NFL. Absolutely effin disgraceful.

I am not yet too concerned about the quality of our depth at DB. Losing Tory James is no great loss, but unless one of the DBs who visited last week is signed, then our CB depth is spread very thinly. More work in coverage for Meriweather, Wilson and Andrews, perhaps. And the fact that Rashad Baker is still on the 53 is another slap in my face. No way, no effin way, is he better than Dante Wesley, or Artrell Hawkins, or Hank Poteat.

BB needs to know if LeKevin can cut the mustard as backup NT; if he can't, then BB needs to find someone who can. That question, and the lack of game experience for LeKevin, Kareem Brown and Santonio Thomas are the reasons that Bobby Hamilton should not be readily discounted as a possible signee.

As long as Watson and K. Brady are good to go, then I can live with that, for now. Jermaine Wiggins would look pretty good too, just the same.

Good night, and Good Luck and Good Health for Sunday.

Two tight ends out: Watson and K. Brady only TEs on roster

You know what that means: More passing and less running. We want to blow these *****es out!

September 8, 2007
Pats moves
By Mike Reiss, Globe Staff

The Patriots made a few roster moves today and had some changes to their injury report:

CB Asante Samuel was activated and is expected to play.

CB Tory James and TE Marcellus Rivers were released.

DL Mike Wright, S Rashad Baker and TE David Thomas were downgraded to out on the injury report.

LB Corey Mays and DL Santonio Thomas were activated off the practice squad.

Mays will be back on the PS before Week 4.

If Brady wasn't alright then we would have seen him on the injury report. We didn't. If Brady wasn't alright then Rivers wouldn't have been cut. He was. If Brady wasn't alright there would be a good chance Brady would have been out. He isn't.

I think we're completely forgetting about Brady. The only reason Rivers saw time with the first team in the preseason was because Brady was out. He is now expendable.

Re: Two tight ends out: Watson and K. Brady only TEs on roster

You know what that means: More passing and less running. We want to blow these *****es out!

How? Do the Pats need 3 TEs just to run a 2 TE set?

I don't understand this logic.

The coaches feel that Mays has more value to the team than Rivers. We have two choices:

1. Accept their decision and move on.

Or:

2. Pretend that we know more than the coaches in personnel evaluations and continue to ***** and moan about it.

I feel it makes sense...they obviously have decided that they do not need 3 TEs for this game. Brady is playing and will be in on many goal line situations. If he was injured and not playing, Rivers would still be with the team; enough said. These moves are for this game...what the Coach thinks he needs for this game.

I wonder who the inactives will be Guts, Thomas, Baker, Wright, 2 linemen Britt, Yates/Hochstein, and 2 others...That could be Gaffney...it could be Herron, if his ST work is not up to snuff...It could be a DL...Brown, Smith or Thomas...and I am thinking Brown here..but they could have all 3 active with a possibility of using a 4-3.

Obviously, they like Mays on ST and that is the reason they brought him up. He will be on the 45. I really do not see any DBs inactive but for Baker.

The coaches feel that Mays has more value to the team than Rivers. We have two choices:

1. Accept their decision and move on.

Or:

2. Pretend that we know more than the coaches in personnel evaluations and continue to ***** and moan about it.

Words to live by.

Thanks Dr. Phil. :rolleyes:

I feel it makes sense...they obviously have decided that they do not need 3 TEs for this game. Brady is playing and will be in on many goal line situations. If he was injured and not playing, Rivers would still be with the team; enough said. These moves are for this game...what the Coach thinks he needs for this game.

I wonder who the inactives will be Guts, Thomas, Baker, Wright, 2 linemen Britt, Yates/Hochstein, and 2 others...That could be Gaffney...it could be Herron, if his ST work is not up to snuff...It could be a DL...Brown, Smith or Thomas...and I am thinking Brown here..but they could have all 3 active with a possibility of using a 4-3.

Obviously, they like Mays on ST and that is the reason they brought him up. He will be on the 45. I really do not see any DBs inactive but for Baker.
I think there were some answers here........
With Herron inactive, OBVIOUSLY they thought they needed Mays on ST..and he was in on a few plays..so I would think that Herron may be a bit behind and more of a project.
Also, I found it interesting that they deactivated Brown and had Smith and SThomas as the backups. Even though Thomas has been on the PSqd, they obviously like him a lot.
One thing to remember is that the PSqd practices with the team and BB looks at the team of 61 53+8.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back