PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Vince Young named to 2010 Pro-Bowl

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like how every AFC South starting QB is a Pro-Bowler this year.

Last edited:
Do these players get bonuses in their contract because other players don't want to participate because the pro-bowl is a joke?
Great question, and not just because I was wondering the same thing. Assuming they all have that clause in their contract, does that mean half the AFC's starting quarterbacks get that bonus? And how many more injured quarterbacks do we have to go until JaMarcus Russell is in the Pro Bowl?

I couldn't find a definitive answer, but I did see this at Pro Football Reference - Football Glossary and Football Statistics Glossary | Pro-Football-Reference.com
Pro Bowler - A player is considered a pro bowler if he was named to the pro bowl as a starter, a reserve, or an injury replacement. If named to the team, a player is considered a pro bowler even if he does not attend the pro bowl due to injury.

To me that definition means that eight AFC quarterbacks will get to add pro bowler to their resume this year. Kind of cheapens that title a bit, especially when comparing players of different eras. And considering that 50% of the AFC's quarterbacks are pro bowlers, it might be time to remove number of pro bowl appearances as one of the measuring sticks for nominees to the NFL Hall of Fame.

And on a side note, yes - Flacco should have gone to the Pro Bowl before Vince Young.

Last edited:
To me that definition means that eight AFC quarterbacks will get to add pro bowler to their resume this year.

If you were selected on the original team (eg: Brady) and don't go, you still are recognized as as Pro-Bowler.

If you were selected as an injury/drop-out replacement (eg: Moss) and don't go, you are not recognized as a Pro-Bowler

Meaning, six QBs (the original 3 + the 3 alternates) will be recognized as Pro-Bowlers this year.

Last edited:
What an epic failure the Pro Bowl will be this year. No one is going to want to play in the Pro Bowl without a free trip to Hawaii.

you pretty much said it all the only reason the players ever went to the pro bowl was to take there wifes to Hawaii

Am I the only one who'd prefer they don't even play the game? What's wrong with just naming your all-stars and leave it at that? There's always a risk of injury in anything we do, but football is such a physical game, that the risk is much higher. We talked about whether to play guys in useless games, but it doesn't get much more useless than the Pro Bowl.

I understand it's for the fans. I'm glad some of our guys got rewarded with the Pro Bowl votes, but I don't want to see any Patriots actually playing in the game.

I am actually the one guy that enjoys watching the Pro Bowl every year.

I don't know, I enjoy watching the game's best quarterbacks throwing to the league's best receivers. I hate when players decline their invitations, but I completely understand it.

The main reason that I was against the move to before Super Bowl week is because I already predicted this exact scenario. It's not a coincidence that the Super Bowl participants will field a lot of Pro Bowlers, not to mention the conference championship finalists who don't feel like going to the city they were expecting to visit as Super Bowl players.

With this format, they should call it a "Best of the Rest Bowl"

Was Jay Fiedler not available? Yeesh!

If you were selected on the original team (eg: Brady) and don't go, you still are recognized as as Pro-Bowler.

If you were selected as an injury/drop-out replacement (eg: Moss) and don't go, you are not recognized as a Pro-Bowler

Meaning, six QBs (the original 3 + the 3 alternates) will be recognized as Pro-Bowlers this year.
Thanks for clarifying. That makes more sense.

Still though, six out of sixteen quarterbacks being named Pro-Bowlers does take away something from that title.

Edit: This also reinforces why number of Pro Bowls should not be a consideration when it comes to a player getting into the Hall of Fame. In this scenario the #4 QB is not a Pro Bowler, but the #8 QB is. In addition Pro Bowl voting is swayed dramatically by name recognition, and who is liked and not disliked as opposed to play on the field. But Hall of Fame criteria is a whole separate topic, so I'll save that discussion for another day.

Last edited:
Thanks for clarifying. That makes more sense

It really gives incentive to the replacement guys who are first timers or not sure they'll ever be their again to go and make sure they're recognized as a Pro-Bowler at least once in their career.

In other news Nate Kaeding dropped out due to an injury, I'm guessing that being some bruised confidence. The Dolphins' Dan Carpenter will be replacing him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes