PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rivers and James released; Mays and Thomas promoted; Asante officially activated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Asante Activated - Per Schefter on NFLN

If ya don't mind, I'll add to your title the coresponding release of Tory James.

Re: Asante Activated - Per Schefter on NFLN [released Tory James]

Please merge with 2 ongoing threads...

Please merge with 2 ongoing threads....
I'm guessing you mean the "Will Asante be activated before the 4PM deadline?" and the "Schefter expects Asante to play week 1" threads? Respectfully, I think that the official moves are important enough news not to get buried in two threads that focus on speculation. If you bury news like this, you'll have 4 more new threads on it started on it by morning. ;)

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm
SAMUEL IN, JAMES OUT

Adam Schefter of NFL Network reports that the Patriots have added cornerback Asante Samuel to the active roster. To make room for him, the Pats released cornerback Tory James.

Samuel was the Pats' franchise player, and signed his one-year tender in late August.

James, a 10-year veteran, has played with the Broncos, Raiders, and Bengals. He was named to the Pro Bowl in 2004, and has 39 career interceptions. As a vested veteran, he will instantly become a free agent.

That's great news for the Patriot defense, and not so great news for the Jets offense.

GO PATRIOTS!!!!

I'm guessing you mean the "Will Asante be activated before the 4PM deadline?" and the "Schefter expects Asante to play week 1" threads? Respectfully, I think that the official moves are important enough news not to get buried in two threads that focus on speculation. If you bury news like this, you'll have 4 more new threads on it started on it by morning.

The second one already contained the same link posted here--the title could have been improved.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

We didn't need to release James as we had a roster spot open for Samuel anyway.

Strange, any thoughts?

Not about being strange but the release of James.

The second one already contained the same link posted here--the title could have been improved.:rolleyes:
Yup, you're right.. stand by for thread maneuvers.

:cool:

Re: Schefter expects Asante to play week 1

Yes, in the other post, someone said just that.

Must mean they plan to sign someone after week one and have room for em right now.

They may have cut James now so he wasn't guanteed his pay for the year. I think if he was on the game 1 roster it was guaranteed.

We didn't need to release James as we had a roster spot open for Samuel anyway.

Strange, any thoughts?

Yeah, I have a thought: where the heck are the cornerbacks on this roster? A top 3 of Samuel, Hobbs and Gay is great, but "......." as backups leaves something to be desired, no?

Maybe one of those DB tryouts from earlier the week rose to the surface?

Re: Schefter expects Asante to play week 1 [Merged: Asante Activated-Tory James relea

Need a roster spot to snatch someone off another team's practice squad...no?

Schefter expects Asante to play week 1 [Merged: Asante Activated]

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/2007/09/pats_moves_14.html

September 8, 2007
Pats moves
By Mike Reiss, Globe Staff

The Patriots made a few roster moves today and had some changes to their injury report:

CB Asante Samuel was activated and is expected to play.

CB Tory James and TE Marcellus Rivers were released.

DL Mike Wright, S Rashad Baker and TE David Thomas were downgraded to out on the injury report.

LB Corey Mays and DL Santonio Thomas were activated off the practice squad.

Re: Schefter expects Asante to play week 1 [Merged: Asante Activated-Tory James relea

James could be back on Monday, this might just mean that he wasn't going to be activated on Sunday so they didn't want to guarantee his salary.

Re: Schefter expects Asante to play week 1

With Caldwell cut...there was 52...James cut 51..Samuel added..still down one...Thomas or Childress one or the other was moved up...OR???

They had ALSO signed Rivers...who they have since cut.

They signed Mays and Santonio Thomas from the practice squad.

Cutting James also tells me he wasn't going to be on the 45 man roster for the game anyway.

Re: Pats Moves

I don't get the cutting of Rivers. I think its a mistake...Personally, Corey Mays is a waste of a roster spot.

Yeah, I have a thought: where the heck are the cornerbacks on this roster? A top 3 of Samuel, Hobbs and Gay is great, but "......." as backups leaves something to be desired, no?

Maybe one of those DB tryouts from earlier the week rose to the surface?

Makes you wish the would draft one...my drak house to re-emerge is Gemara Williams. I have absolutely nothing to base this on.

Means they are only going to have 2 active TE.

Re: Pats Moves

I don't get the cutting of Rivers. I think its a mistake...Personally, Corey Mays is a waste of a roster spot.

Why? Thomas is out, sure, but you really don't need a third TE, especially when you have the depth at WR the Pats do.

And Mays is decent on special teams.

I hope Rivers stays unsigned in case of an injury. With him cut and Thomas out, it means only 2 TE's tomorrow.

I expect Rivers was cut and will be re-signed after the game tomorrow - that vet guaranteed contract deal thing. I posit this with a bit of bitterness in my heart, as I picked him as my "who will score first for the Pats" prediction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft