PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ridley

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like the player, but big money on any RB is a gamble. Even moreso in our offense.

Agreed. I wouldn't pay BJGE (who I really like) big money at all. RBs are the easiest position to find in the NFL, especially for a team like NE that doesn't rely on just one stud guy.

After seeing the speed and jukes BJGE had on that screen pass..i still think he's it

What? He pretty much ran straight... It's not like he put all these big moves on anyone...He did make a nice catch, however.

Ridley is a far better runner than BJGE ever was or will be. And honestly, it's not really close.

Please point out to me exactly when and where I said BJGE was better than Ridley.

As I've said before, each back has their own skill set which I think compliments each other. As others have said, why does there have to be a #1, or a "this is better than that"?

You use the word "Ridley looks more effective" and that is a subjective term. You disparage BJGE every turn you get, but if you look at the numbers, BJGE is producing results not seen since the days of Dillon. First 1,000 yard backer since Dillon, first back to back double-digit TDs seasons since Dillon (and as a matter of fact, only two other backs accomplished such a feat for the Patriots: Dillon and Curtis Martin, yet there is not even a congratulatory thread on that in this forum).

Maybe you think Ridley will reproduce those numbers but history would suggest that feat is not so easily done.

History is just that...HISTORY. Why would we compare Ridley on the current Patriots roster to RBs on Patriots rosters YEARS ago that have none of the same players and completely different situations? The Patriots score a lot of rushing TDs each year since 2007 and that gets overlooked because of how many RBs they use to get there.

BJGE is producing numbers not seen since Dillon? So? Who else has been a RB for the Patriots in that time frame? Maroney? An old Fred Taylor? Sammy Morris? Coooool.

BJGE is a marginal talent. The fact that he doesn't fumble is fantastic and very impressive, but let's not kid ourselves. He's not a very effective runner, and he doesn't force the defense to respect the run much.

He is good at getting TDs in the red area...But it's my opinion that if put in the same situations, Ridley would get those TDs as well.

Last edited:
Ridley is not big or stout enough take the pounding. we need 2 strong RB backed up with a 3rd down. 3 RB is the starting ground in today`s NFL.

You are looking for 2 quality backup.I am not abig fan of monster contract to RB. Benny is going to be realitively cheaper.

Wes is also a key that need to be signed long term as i can making gronk the highest paid TE and letting Hernandaz walk . Not possible to sign them both.

satz

I think you're right- and that's what I'm afraid of, that we won't be able to keep both Gronk and Hernandez. That would be too good. I'm just glad we have them for two more years.

Ridley is not big or stout enough take the pounding. we need 2 strong RB backed up with a 3rd down. 3 RB is the starting ground in today`s NFL.

satz

Say what? Ridley was 5 11 225 at the combine, BEFORE an NFL strength training regimen. He is a bigger back, by NFL standards.

I don't believe that retaining both Gronk and Hernandez is entirely impossible.
Improbable?
Sure but the thing to keep in mind is how much our new offense is built based around these tightends who can do it all, quite honestly if it comes down to Welkers or Hernandez getting big money it has to go to Hernandez, finding 70 percent of the effect Welker has on the team is easier than to replace a stud like Hernandez, I don't see why we could not retain both him and Welker.
But Belichick has been waiting for these tightends all his coaching career, and besides Brady and Mankins I would argue that retaining both is the most important thing for our football team.
So i would not be shocked to see Belichick make it work and make the Tightends the focal point of this offense for at least the next 4 years, now of course we will be drafting Hernandez clones early and often for the off set chance we strike Gold again.

I don't believe that retaining both Gronk and Hernandez is entirely impossible.
Improbable?
Sure but the thing to keep in mind is how much our new offense is built based around these tightends who can do it all, quite honestly if it comes down to Welkers or Hernandez getting big money it has to go to Hernandez, finding 70 percent of the effect Welker has on the team is easier than to replace a stud like Hernandez, I don't see why we could not retain both him and Welker.
But Belichick has been waiting for these tightends all his coaching career, and besides Brady and Mankins I would argue that retaining both is the most important thing for our football team.
So i would not be shocked to see Belichick make it work and make the Tightends the focal point of this offense for at least the next 4 years, now of course we will be drafting Hernandez clones early and often for the off set chance we strike Gold again.

The problem is with the TV contracts the cap is going to jump. Correct me if i am wrong the owners also made a commitment to spend 95% + percent. so there is going to a tonne of money out there. A agent can convince hernandaz to atleast hit FA.

Just what I mean. He has a whopping total of 1 TD and you want to declare him the second coming. How about we see how he does next season?
I am just assessing what i see. Why can I not have an opinion now?
Where did I declare him the second coming? I think he is our best RB. That isnt exactly reserving him a spot in Canton.

[Huh? His YPC this year isn't the lowest of any season since Dillon. That award goes to Maroney who posted 3.3 YPC in '08. [/quote]
Maroney was not the primary RB that year, he was injured and Morris averaged something like 4.7 as the primary RB.

What part of results don't you understand? He is the first 1,000 yard back since Dillon. Maroney never produced a 1,000 yard season while he was here, much less a double digit TD season, never mind two of them. Poor Maroney, the last full season he had here, he fumbled the rock away four times while starting only 5 games.
I understand all of it, and I am less than thrilled with his production this year. Are you happy with it?

Didn't Green_ellis have a fifty three yard run out of a screen pass almost to the end zone on Sunday? When they needed someone to run it into the end zone, they called on Benny and he got it done. I like Ridley, he's developing nicely but lets keep Benny on the team, as he get his yards does his job and does not fumble

Didn't Green_ellis have a fifty three yard run out of a screen pass almost to the end zone on Sunday? When they needed someone to run it into the end zone, they called on Benny and he got it done. I like Ridley, he's developing nicely but lets keep Benny on the team, as he get his yards does his job and does not fumble

Ridley takes that screen pass to the endzone. Benny lacked the speed and the elusiveness to get past the last tackler and take that to the house.

Ridley takes that screen pass to the endzone. Benny lacked the speed and the elusiveness to get past the last tackler and take that to the house.

Yep. BJGE ran straight. He has hardly any wiggle or lateral burst. Ridley likely would have scored on that play...

Yep. BJGE ran straight. He has hardly any wiggle or lateral burst. Ridley likely would have scored on that play...

Hey yeah let's all project! Pats likely would have beaten Indy in '06 and Giants in '07 if I were HC instead of BB.

:D

I don't get what the point of this thread is. Is it to diss BJGE?

BJGE was the #1 back until he got dinged up, then Ridley got more reps.

Ridley's done well with those reps, although BJGE is still the 'money' (RZ) back.

Woodhead has also done well in limited carries.

Right now, I don't think the Pats HAVE a #1 back. If BJGE was healthy, IMHO he'd still be the guy. But he's not, so we get the committee. When we see Ridley get the ball 15-20 times a game INCLUDING goal-to-go at the 1, then we can anoint Ridley #1.

Ridley's done well with those reps, although BJGE is still the 'money' (RZ) back.

Right now, I don't think the Pats HAVE a #1 back. If BJGE was healthy, IMHO he'd still be the guy. But he's not, so we get the committee. When we see Ridley get the ball 15-20 times a game INCLUDING goal-to-go at the 1, then we can anoint Ridley #1.

I don't think anyone was saying that right now Ridley is atop the depth chart....

The argument is that Ridley IS a more talented RB than BJGE is/was/will ever be. He's young and BJGE has more experience, which is why it's taking time for Ridley to unseat BJGE, but let's not kid ourselves. Ridley will be the guy before long, he's simply that much better of a runner than BJGE.

I don't think anyone was saying that right now Ridley is atop the depth chart....

The argument is that Ridley IS a more talented RB than BJGE is/was/will ever be. He's young and BJGE has more experience, which is why it's taking time for Ridley to unseat BJGE, but let's not kid ourselves. Ridley will be the guy before long, he's simply that much better of a runner than BJGE.

I disagree.

BJGE, when healthy, does 3 things exceptionally well:

1. Get positive yards.
2. Hold onto the football.
3. Score touchdowns.

Is Ridley faster? Yes. So are a million other guys. I'd take BJGE.

Historically there have been many great backs who gave way to backups called "goal-line backs". The fact a rb does not get the majority of goal line carries has nothing to do with, in your words "his annointing" as a #1 back. In goal line situations Tony Dorsett gave way to Robert Newhouse, Thurman Thomas to Kinnebrew et.al. Goal line backs are traditionally surehanded plowhorses whom the coaching staff is willing to subject to a pounding.

So your statement that we will know Ridley has been "annointed" the #1 back when he gets goal line carries over old reliable plowhorse BJGE is not factual.

Last edited:
I disagree.

BJGE, when healthy, does 3 things exceptionally well:

1. Get positive yards.
2. Hold onto the football.
3. Score touchdowns.

Is Ridley faster? Yes. So are a million other guys. I'd take BJGE.

1. So does Ridley, except he gets more yds than BJGE does.
2. Ridley has fumbled ONCE.
3. BJGE scores touchdowns from within the 5 because he's the back that's in there (because of his experience and the coaches trust in him).

I'm confident Ridley could pick up those TDs as well if given the chance. So lets not debate their pure talent as a runner based soley on opportunity from the coaches...It's a pretty stupid way to judge things, no? If anything, he deserves credit for being able to be counted on. He's counted on to be ORDINARY. He's nothing special as a RB, just reliable at being mediocre and holding onto the ball.

And yep, Ridley is faster than BJGE. Along with having betterr quickness, lateral movement, vision. You name it. The ONE thing BJGE has on Ridley as a pure runner is his ability to hang onto the football better than anyone.

But give me the guy who is WAY more explosive and talented as a runner who has one fumble this year over the guy who doesnt fumble but is a lower level talent as a pure runner.

Last edited:
Debating pure talent? Now, THAT'S stupid. Bethel Johnson, anyone?

Coaches give players the ball when they have confidence in them. And you're saying coaches trust is a stupid way to judge talent? You DO know who the Pats HC is, right? :D

You take speedy, less proven, less trusted guy. I get it. Fine.

I'll take slower surehanded TD-scoring guy.

Debating pure talent? Now, THAT'S stupid. Bethel Johnson, anyone?

Coaches give players the ball when they have confidence in them. And you're saying coaches trust is a stupid way to judge talent? You DO know who the Pats HC is, right? :D

You take speedy, less proven, less trusted guy. I get it. Fine.

I'll take slower surehanded TD-scoring guy.

Running backs translate pure talent MUCH easier than WRs do. You're really stretching there.

Ridley is a better runner than BJGE. Period. I'm not sure how anyone can really dispute that?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick