PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Richard Seymour

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the injuries certainly slowed him up this year and I think Warren and Wilfork both out played him. The disturbing game for me with Seymour was the Chargers game where McNeil handled him one on one sealing him again and again. Seymour in the past has taken on some of the best LT's in the game and I've never seen him get dominated like that on so many plays. Everybody has it happen from time to time but every time they ran that way McNeil was winning the battle.

So the assumptions are Seymour was still hampered by the knee and elbow or McNeil is really that good or a combination of the two. I think it's both and McNeil is the major reason why LT's production was through the roof this year. He is a force.

As long as he can get and stay healthy this is not a need.

Oh and we have Marquise Hill if he can't. :D

From my view Seymour was every bit as good this year as ever. What makes Seymour good is what doesnt stand out. He plays great 2gap run discipline, he hustles like no DL in the NFL, and he is able to get some pass rush with one hand tied behind his back playing 2gap.
The clains that he was less than himself this year were IMO because Warren played very well, Wilfork is imporving and therefore there was less talk about Seymour. That had nothing ot do with his play just that guys who hadnt been talked about before started to be more worthy of touting.
He did miss time with injury, so overall he was less effective, but while on the field I saw exactly the same player. He was and still is IMO the best DL in the NFL.

I don't disagree with Andy Johnson very often, but this time I do. Seymour was not his usual self. He wasn't even close. Now, I do think it was probably because of a badly injured elbow, that he wrapped every week. At least I hope it was.

He was manhandled by McNeil in the Chargers game, and he had multiple HORRIFIC, and ill-timed penalties in several games down the stretch.

We better pray that the injury was the source of the drop-off, and not a motiviational thing due to a big fat contract.

I think Seymour is an above average DE but not great.

The fact that he got the nod over Ty Warren in the pro bowl makes a laughing stock out of that game which is nothing more than a popularity contest.

I can think of a dozen or so DEs (Like Warren) who should have gone to Hawaii,Richard did NOT have anywhere near his best stuff last year,Injured or not.

Seymour is overrated. Good against run, sucks rushing the QB. Slow as hell.

Once again for your own enjoyment wouldn't you really be happier as a fan of another team?

Freeney has great speed and pass rushing technique; almost as good as TBC. Freeney is loved by the Colts, and he suits your idea of a Defensive lineman. Why not follow the Colts? They are the current World Champions. Something you like.

I get that he's supposed to stand pat and take on blockers, but when he's hat on hat in passing situations is he supposed to just stand there and jump up trying to bat down passes, or is he supposed to rush the passer? He wasn't doubled nearly as much this year, but it's hard to judge whether he played well or not because we don't know what the coaching staff is telling him to do.

Our scheme is designed for LBs to rush the passer, generally. If Seymour succesfully batted down a pass, that should tell you he didn't have a clear path to the QB which is when he would likely try to rush.

A deflected pass is much better than an unsuccessful bull rush, no?

I don't disagree with Andy Johnson very often, but this time I do. Seymour was not his usual self. He wasn't even close. Now, I do think it was probably because of a badly injured elbow, that he wrapped every week. At least I hope it was.

He was manhandled by McNeil in the Chargers game, and he had multiple HORRIFIC, and ill-timed penalties in several games down the stretch.

We better pray that the injury was the source of the drop-off, and not a motiviational thing due to a big fat contract.

And knee. Of course we don't know about his other two limbs.

I think Seymour is an above average DE but not great.

The fact that he got the nod over Ty Warren in the pro bowl makes a laughing stock out of that game which is nothing more than a popularity contest.

I can think of a dozen or so DEs (Like Warren) who should have gone to Hawaii,Richard did NOT have anywhere near his best stuff last year,Injured or not.

I've never tried to block two 300 lb. + with at least a hyperextended elbow and a knee that needed an operation, so I wouldn't know what it's like.

You don't need anything else to make a laughingstock out of that game.

What's a laughingstock to me is fans sitting there eating potato chips making judgements of football players ability to play with pain.

In all honesty, I feel that Warren has surpassed Seymour. That doesn't mean that Seymour is not any good anymore. quite the contrary. Seymour is still one of the best in the league. This year he was hobbled not only by his knee, but by his elbow injury as well. If Seymour recovers fully, I believe that Warren, Wilfork and he will be extremely dominant. However, we do need Mike Wright and Jarvis Green to see more rotation time to keep the front 3 more rested through the game.

What if I broke two of Warrens limbs? Then we could jufge more fairly.

I know I could estimate how well I'd block 2 300 pounders with a bad elbow and knee.

Of course if I just got a big contract I'd probably just go through the motions like Seymour.

What if I broke two of Warrens limbs? Then we could jufge more fairly.

I know I could estimate how well I'd block 2 300 pounders with a bad elbow and knee.

Of course if I just got a big contract I'd probably just go through the motions like Seymour.

RayClay, you ever sleep? Seems like I was talking to ya at 3 am and now its 3pm and here you are!

I get that he's supposed to stand pat and take on blockers, but when he's hat on hat in passing situations is he supposed to just stand there and jump up trying to bat down passes, or is he supposed to rush the passer? He wasn't doubled nearly as much this year, but it's hard to judge whether he played well or not because we don't know what the coaching staff is telling him to do.

Depends on the scheme. The Pats could be running stunts or blitzes, or they could be playing a straight up 4 man rush with either the Will or the Sam coming from the edge. Barring stunts, the D linemen push the pocket into the passer, collapsing it. The O-line is retreating into their pocket protection anyway, so the goal is to tie them up and gain an advantage with momentum to collapse it and not allow the QB to step up, forcing him to the outside, where the LB will be coming from. Now, depending on protection, scheme and other factors, a lineman may find himself an open lane to the QB, at which point he attacks.

RayClay, you ever sleep? Seems like I was talking to ya at 3 am and now its 3pm and here you are!

I've got one class at night, (2 are computer only) and my part time job is at night. I'm a night owl anyway, so I do school work sometimes and nights I want to fall asleep I can't.

I've got a nice 3 day weekend, (always school work, though) and i tried to sleep, but couldn't.

I'm so screwed up now, if i go to sleep at 11 my body thinks it's a nap and I wake up at 2 A.M. LOL.

Last edited:
I thought it was because he bent his elbow back the way it's not supposed to bend.

If you don't like Seymour, I don't think your going to find a replacement easily. That's kind of why you use a #6 pick.

I like Seymour, I'm just wondering what people's preceptions of him are. I also wonder if he'll be a Patriot after his contract is up. And yes he had numerous injuries, but footwise, speedwise I wonder if he's slowed down a little.

That d-line is going to cost alot of money in a couple years.

I like Seymour, I'm just wondering what people's preceptions of him are. I also wonder if he'll be a Patriot after his contract is up. And yes he had numerous injuries, but footwise, speedwise I wonder if he's slowed down a little.

This is a real sore point with me, (not you, but the judgemental posters who chimed in).

The guy was hurt, but still better than anyone else.

What perceptions can be made? Can I imagine being double teamed by 300 pounders?

Then add the difficulty of doing it with a piece of furniture on my arm and a knee that needs an operation?

Of course I can't, it's preposterous.

All we can perceive is we have an all pro, (Warren should have got it last year, that's not Sey's fault), who is willing to play no matter how injured he is.

What else can you ask for?

Last edited:

Again, hate to be obvious, but do you expect someone to maintain speed playing on a knee that needs an immediate post season operation.

Maybe I'm missing something...................

Again, hate to be obvious, but do you expect someone to maintain speed playing on a knee that needs an immediate post season operation.

Maybe I'm missing something...................

everybody is banged up.... the question is and we'll never know is how serious the injury was and how much it affected him

everybody is banged up.... the question is and we'll never know is how serious the injury was and how much it affected him

He needed an operation.:confused: :confused: :confused:

I think assuming his other arm, leg and torso were injured might be a guess, but they don't operate on your knee if your "banged up".

Last edited:
Some of you guys are way off the mark here. "Above average DE"?! No, Seymour is still a monster. He had a number of injuries this year that probably would've kept him out of many games if he weren't so damn important to our defense. There was the big elbow injury, a knee injury, and then some ankle injuries as well. Despite all that, he still had a pretty good season. The guy is a force to be reckoned with.

As for Warren, I believe that he was pro-bowl worthy this year, but you can't tell me that he doesn't benefit playing opposite of Seymour on the line. Which player do you think opposing offenses focus more on neutralizing? I guarantee its Seymour, injuries and all.

Last edited:
Some of you guys are way off the mark here. "Above average DE"?! No, Seymour is still a monster. He had a number of injuries this year that probably would've kept him out of many games if he weren't so damn important to our defense. There was the big elbow injury, a knee injury, and then some ankle injuries as well. Despite all that, he still had a pretty good season. The guy is a force to be reckoned with.

As for Warren, I believe that he was pro-bowl worthy this year, but you can't tell me that he doesn't benefit playing opposite of Seymour on the line. Which player do you think opposing offenses focus more on neutralizing? I guarantee its Seymour, injuries and all.

I was looking up his knee injury and the Herald said he had arm and groin injuries.

Arm, knee operation, ankles and groin.

No reason that should affect your play!

Seymour's a Pansy, pass the pork rinds....oww.. fell out of my easy chair....call an ambulance!!:help: :help: :help:

At least we know that's the whole list because Mr. Belichick is always forthcoming about injuries.:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft