PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Richard Seymour

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think there willbe a lot of GMs beating on Tully Banta Cains door.
I think he can help us. I'm not sure that he earned a starting job this season, but he looked very good to me as a role player, specifically rushing the QB as a nickel DE.
I think he returns unless, there was a deeper reason why he didnt play vs the Colts. (My understanding was that it was to get Vrabel outside because he;d be more valuable vs the Colts in that position) Or unless he develops and ego that he 'earned a starting job' and unfairly had it taken away.

I think he would make a very good backup OLB/DE on 3rd down. He also has to have upside because this was his first real playing time. Ithink his offers in FA will be meager, so if he wants back, and if BB isn't soured on him, it wont be a money issue.

I'm thinking right now Romeo and Mangini might just try to get him to add depth, not that the Browns need him but he adds a winner mentality. and you know the Jets might just try to drive up the price. the fact that he is a patriot might entice some people, but if the pats do retain him i think he's valuable in a selective role. i am just hope for a mathia kwianuka type. isn't KGB a FA? he dropped off recently, but why?

If TBC can be signed at a Jarvis-type #, I would like to see A. Thomas. Tully may be out of control at times but he demands attention. Adalius blitzing from the MLB in a nickle or dime situation would be awesome. I contend we have the guys to pressure from the outside, but pressure up the middle to collapse the pocket hadn't always been there.

I'm thinking right now Romeo and Mangini might just try to get him to add depth, not that the Browns need him but he adds a winner mentality. and you know the Jets might just try to drive up the price. the fact that he is a patriot might entice some people, but if the pats do retain him i think he's valuable in a selective role. i am just hope for a mathia kwianuka type. isn't KGB a FA? he dropped off recently, but why?

My immediate reaction to a 'name player' for the Pats is to cringe.
Unfortunately, it is easy to develop a 'name' by being one-dimensional. (See KGB)
The Pats don't want one-dimensional guys.
Thats one area I think BB does very well though is projecting guys into his system who have played different roles elsewhere. So the guy who was one-dimensional elsewhere may not be stuck to that, but has only been put in that role.
Vrabel, Harrison, Colvin, Caldwell, Fauria, Poole are examples of guys who had reputations of being good playing a certain system that was different than ours and didnt ask them to do the things we would, and who came here and proved to be muchmore complete players than they were thought to be.

If TBC can be signed at a Jarvis-type #, I would like to see A. Thomas. Tully may be out of control at times but he demands attention. Adalius blitzing from the MLB in a nickle or dime situation would be awesome. I contend we have the guys to pressure from the outside, but pressure up the middle to collapse the pocket hadn't always been there.

I think a Jarvis # is too high, Jarvis is a VERY wellpaid backup.

what team are you a fan of?

The Pats. Sorry I forgot to jerk off each player today. Every player and team has flaws. Seymour is a good player, but he doesn't make that great of an impact. Yes, he is a great run stopper, but he is way to inconsistant against the pass. Ty Warren should have made pro bowl over Seymour. He was overrated this year. Sorry I don't think every Pats player is elite because they aren't.

Last edited:
You are establishing a track record as one of the silliest posters on this forum. If youare not a troll from another team, you should consider it. ;)

Ok, did you watch Seymour this season? Ty Warren made tackle after tackle and big play after big play and doesn't make pro bowl. Seymour is a good player, he gets injured almost every game and not that great rushing the QB. Sorry I don't think every player in the Pats organization is god.

You must be typing while gazing longingly into the mirror. :rolleyes:

So are you saying that Tully Banta-Cain is good? The same guy that was benched during the Chargers game and against the Colts in the championship game? Wow, if he is good than I may have a shot at playing LB in the NFL.

So are you saying that Tully Banta-Cain is good? The same guy that was benched during the Chargers game and against the Colts in the championship game? Wow, if he is good than I may have a shot at playing LB in the NFL.

No, that's not at all what I was saying. :rolleyes:

I know everyone cant be Chad Jackson.
Do you have any concept of a 2 gap defense?

Alright, let me break it down for you like this. I understand that in a 2 gap scheme that your DE's are going to get the "sexy" statistics but that doesn't mean you can't do a better job rushing the passer. Take a look at Luis Castillo who is a DE for the Chargers. I watched most of their games this season because I live in California. He has a motor that doesn't stop and recorded 7 sacks which is good for taking on double teams all the time. Seymour, on the other hand, will try to rush the passer and end up getting stoned leaving him to start jumping as a last resort. He tends to get a little lazt at times. All I'm saying is that Seymour needs to do a little better rushing the passer and being a little more consistant. Maybe that will help if the Pats can ever get a LB that can make an impact like Shawne Merriman.

Last edited:
Seymour, will go down as one of the greatest, when I watch the games at home or my occasional foray to Gillette I always key on #93. He is always double teamed, and because of the Warren and Wilfork are more successful. Not to take away from anyone of them, but in this two gap system, they do what they do about as best as anyone. See Seymour in short coverage, see him holding the corner and a bunch of other stuff that does not show up in the stats. This year he had a lot of injuries, some of which many players would not have played with, despite this he had a high caliber season. I don't know all of the dynamics of Castillo and the San Diego defense.. but he is fine for me, and worth the contract he has.

Ok, let me handle this one. A two gap scheme is far different that the one gap that SD, Pitt, and others run. Google two gap 3-4 defense or buy football for dummies (no thats not an insult, it was written by Howie Long). I posted a diagram on the sticky for the 3-4. Pats 80 happened to be featuring a one gap scheme in his description, so I posted it so people could see the difference. The DL in a 2 gap are big plugs playing the gaps on both sides of the player opposite them. Unless a blitz is called, their job is to generally block and tie up the linemen so the LB's can make plays. Its a bend and dont break scheme. The object is to give up short gains while you wait for the other team to make a mistake. In the AFCCG, the Pats LB's were wiped out, the D line was injured and none of them could play all of the snaps. Hence Indy did not make any mistakes. And the system broke down. I hope this helps.

Ok, let me handle this one. A two gap scheme is far different that the one gap that SD, Pitt, and others run. Google two gap 3-4 defense or buy football for dummies (no thats not an insult, it was written by Howie Long). I posted a diagram on the sticky for the 3-4. Pats 80 happened to be featuring a one gap scheme in his description, so I posted it so people could see the difference. The DL in a 2 gap are big plugs playing the gaps on both sides of the player opposite them. Unless a blitz is called, their job is to generally block and tie up the linemen so the LB's can make plays. Its a bend and dont break scheme. The object is to give up short gains while you wait for the other team to make a mistake. In the AFCCG, the Pats LB's were wiped out, the D line was injured and none of them could play all of the snaps. Hence Indy did not make any mistakes. And the system broke down. I hope this helps.

that was a good diagram shirtsleeve.

Last edited:
The draft has got me thinking of the possibility of another D-lineman. I think it's unlikely they draft one as it ranks low on the list.

But I'd like to hear some hoenst opinions on Seymour.

Does everyone think he was as dominating in years past?
At times he didn't look dominating or his usual self. I think back to the SD game against McNeil and he looked overtaken at times granted Tully was on that side. But I can't recall him overtaking any games.

Now I know he gets double teamed alot and it's hard to assess.

He did have his knee cleaned out at the end of the season.... could this have caused him to be a step slower? I know some people have discussed on threads that he got his pay day and that may have affected his play.

So with that.... how long will Seymour actually be here? Will BB cut ties at the end of his mammoth contract? Could we see a replacement this year if value to good to pass up drafted? I think unlikely.... but what about subsequent years?

Discussion on his performance if you think it's dropped or is the same typical Seymour. Did he have an off year because of a knee? Has he lost a step? What do you think his future is?

I thought it was because he bent his elbow back the way it's not supposed to bend.

If you don't like Seymour, I don't think your going to find a replacement easily. That's kind of why you use a #6 pick.

He started Training Camp on PUP, he got Rod-knee'ed in the elbow, and you noted his knee scope after the season. I am one of the people who noted a mild decline in his performance, but I believe it was a function of injury, not desire. He was solid and with a healthy off-season should be back strong and a matched bookend with Ty.

What should get us excited is Vince, he's been steadily improving and with a good off-season should really be scary.

EDIT: As far as drafting a DL, there are some good ones who should be considered if they fall to the Pats. Carricker from Nebraska and Okoye from Louisville being the two highest ranked.

But it's possible his other two limbs weren't incapacitated.

Quit being an apologist. [BLACK]Arms and legs are nice, but it's heart that counts.[/KNIGHT]

Last edited:
The Pats. Sorry I forgot to jerk off each player today. Every player and team has flaws. Seymour is a good player, but he doesn't make that great of an impact. Yes, he is a great run stopper, but he is way to inconsistant against the pass. Ty Warren should have made pro bowl over Seymour. He was overrated this year. Sorry I don't think every Pats player is elite because they aren't.

We'll forgive you. It's off season and they're not all in one place. You should get it done by the end of the week, though.

Very good details on our version of the two gap...nice job.

I get that he's supposed to stand pat and take on blockers, but when he's hat on hat in passing situations is he supposed to just stand there and jump up trying to bat down passes, or is he supposed to rush the passer? He wasn't doubled nearly as much this year, but it's hard to judge whether he played well or not because we don't know what the coaching staff is telling him to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes