PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

RFA Emmanuel Sanders visits Pats 3/16; signs offer sheet 4/10, sheet matched 4/14

Status
Not open for further replies.
seems like just 3 years ago miles austin was 4th or 5th on the cowboys depth chart before an injury let him play and he became the cowboys top reciever.

Sanders has been sitting behind antonio brown(just got a $40 million dollar deal a year ago) and mike wallace(just got 11+ a year from the phins) not to mention Bens binky heath miller.

Sanders has been stuck behind talent, and this is his chance to come to a team that can play to his strengths a bit, and doesn't currently have any starters blocking him from playing.

Sanders has been his team's WR3. It's not as if he's been ensconced on the bench.

Who's going to pay a 3rd round pick [highlight]plus[/highlight] the franchise value for a guy who's been WR3 on his team and who'll now likely be option number 4 or 5 on the Patriots?

Who would trade a 2nd for Matt Cassel and then pay him 40 million?

Option 4 or 5??? BWAHHHH. Hilarious. Who do you think are the #1 and 2 options today? Sanders replaces Lloyd.

Option 4 or 5??? BWAHHHH. Hilarious. Who do you think are the #1 and 2 options today? Sanders replaces Lloyd.

You're comparing a QB to a WR. Think, then post.

Gronk, hernandz and amendoka would be brady's top options

I wouldnt put much stock in the one year deal, This deal is solely written so that the Steelers won't match it, because if they do, he can leave in Free Agency at the end of the year. I'm assuming that their is a wink and nod agreement on a longer contract that will amazingly materialize once this season is over.

To turn this around, I guess this is what puzzles me about how the Patriots approached this--why would someone pay 4 million per 1 year, only to see them become a UFA next year, and surrender a 3rd round pick for the right to do this? Particularly in a year when the Pats have so few picks?

It seems clear to me that the Pats aren't 100% sold on Sanders, or else they'd set the contract duration longer. That's a fine strategy for UFAs, but again we're talking about an RFA who requires a relatively high draft pick compensation.

I guess that's the crux of it for me, why sign an RFA with the associated draft pick cost, if you're not really sold on the guy? If you're looking for a one-year rental, there should be other vets out there who are UFAs who can fit the bill and provide comparable production. Maybe it's just Sanders is younger and the Pats think he is about to break out...but again if they believe that, why only the one year offer?

The Pats FO is arguably the best in the league and 99 times out of 100 they nail it, so who am I to argue....But this offer (plus the Welker thing before this) has me scratching my head a bit.

Just my $.02

I agree, really confused by this move. If he's worth giving up a third round pick for, then he should be worth signing to a multi-year deal.

seems like just 3 years ago miles austin was 4th or 5th on the cowboys depth chart before an injury let him play and he became the cowboys top reciever.

Sanders has been sitting behind antonio brown(just got a $40 million dollar deal a year ago) and mike wallace(just got 11+ a year from the phins) not to mention Bens binky heath miller.

Sanders has been stuck behind talent, and this is his chance to come to a team that can play to his strengths a bit, and doesn't currently have any starters blocking him from playing.

I like Sanders and think he has potential. We're a better team with him (although as I stated above, given the circumstances I'd rather have the 3rd rounder).

That said, I'd be shocked if he ever developed into a true #1 WR. He does his best to be physical--he's a willing and competent blocker, and is willing to go over the middle--but he's just not physically imposing. He has a small frame. Prior to last year he was hurt a lot. I think if he was ever regularly catching balls at a rate of 80 a year he'd have a really tough time staying healthy.

He has a lot of nice skills (good speed, good quickness, good route running) but IMHO nothing off-the-charts exceptional. That's not to say he can't be a really valuable guy in an offense--I just think if he were ever WR1 status, it would be temporary (if he were your WR1 I think you'd be thinking about upgrading to get a "true" WR1). I just think he fits better as a 2nd or 3rd option.

Your Miles Austin example is a good one in terms of the overall scenario, but I just don't think Sanders would hold up as well as Austin (and that's saying something since Austin apparently has zero functional hamstrings LOL! ;)

Gronk, hernandz and amendoka would be brady's top options

Ah yes, the 2 TE offense that doesnt function without 2 healthy TEs. Then, the WR corp is supposed to step up. The Pats have relied so heavily on their TEs that theyre screwed if they are gone for the post season.

Didnt the Pats just go through this in the SB and vs the Ravens last season?

Gronk just had his 3rd surgery on the same arm that he broke twice in 1 season.

Ok, Dakota from Braintree loves the idea of adding Sanders to the Pats. I have now changed my opinion and decided that 100% do not want Sanders on this team. If Dakota from Braintree thinks he is a good pick up, he will be an absolute bust.

LOL - Dakota from Braintree....

Ok, Dakota from Braintree loves the idea of adding Sanders to the Pats. I have now changed my opinion and decided that 100% do not want Sanders on this team. If Dakota from Braintree thinks he is a good pick up, he will be an absolute bust.

Emmanuel Sanders, a RFA, visited the Pats. Has signed 1-year tender

Sweet, only a year deal? 3rd round pick? Sounds really strange....

Only thing I can think of is we draft a wr in the beginning, learns or is behind sanders for a year. And then moves up to a starter next year. Idk just throwing something out there.

They are also getting close to 5 mill. back on June 1st for the O lineman they cut ( Willie Colon). That will more than pay their rookie class.

Only 3.5m will come off the books for Colon in June.

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 1m

The offer sheet that Steelers RFA Emmanuel Sanders signed is worth $2.5 million. Steelers choice: match or get NE's third-round pick by Sun.

Am sure that's doable for Steelers if they wanted to do it.

Tweet from Adam Schefter:

The offer sheet that Steelers RFA Emmanuel Sanders signed is worth $2.5 million. Steelers choice: match or get NE's third-round pick by Sun.

I think the potential contribution of the 3rd round pick is being over-valued relative the more likely contribution of Sanders.

Only some 10% of 3rd rounders ever become starters, and only around a quarter would qualify as a solid depth guy. What's more, the 3rd rounder the Pats are giving up is at the very end of the round, where the hit rate gets worse.

And even when a 3rd rounder does end up seeing meaningful snaps, it's usually in one of the last two years of his contract -- especially for receivers. So even if it's one of the minority that ever is more than a JAG, you're talking a one year rental vs. maybe 2 years of productivity when Brady's approaching 40.

Only 3.5m will come off the books for Colon in June.

Everything I read says that Colon had a $5.5 million salary for the Steelers

Ed: Harrison Cap No. An Easy Fix

Joe Linta, the agent for Willie Colon, says the Steelers have told him they currently plan to do nothing with his contract at the moment and they have not asked for a reduction. Colon is due a salary of $5.5 million this year.

is one such example

Pittsburgh will easily match that offer. I don't follow the Patriots logic in making such a tepid offer if they truly want Sanders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST