PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Revis Signs with NYJ

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's kinda strange when you're happy with Butler and Ryan at a fraction of the cost of Revis.
I'll go as far as saying I'm happy with Butler over Revis. He's playing better in my mind.

The best move Bill made this off season was not signing Revis.

Someone get Mehta some tissues ....
r265603_1110214.jpg

Manish Mehta is a dck. On showtime, he even said if a player is nice to him, he won't write bad things about them, but if they are difficult with him, he will go after them. Just a piece of work.

When he got hurt he was holding his shoulder, no way I thought it was a concussion. But he looked like a guy who was relieved that he had to go out no matter what was wrong. Time comes calling for us all.
Probably like that old Bill Cosby skit — back before we knew he was a lech — about what to do if you get hit in the jewels playing football on TV: Grab anywhere else but "there." :) Maybe today NFL players know to act like it's something else so they don't get put into The Protocol.

I'll go as far as saying I'm happy with Butler over Revis. He's playing better in my mind.

Agreed. He plays a position that depends on quickness and speed, he’s over 30, and had an ACL/Knee injury that required microfracture surgery. Not exactly the profile of someone that you want to pay big money to. He was a needed chip that fit in perfectly last season but I never understood the folks that wanted to outbid the Jets (we are currently under the cap by less than 2 million) for a multi-year contract. I would have loved to have him back at a reasonable price but we all know that wasn't an option.

Last edited:

Depends on if you're taking salary and projections of future years into account. If we're looking at it in a vacuum--just this year, no regard for salary--then Revis is still better than Butler. Revis has had some trouble staying healthy, but when he's anywhere close to 100% he's playing at a higher level than Butler does.

But if you're accounting for things like age and Revis making over 30x what Butler makes, Butler over Revis is an absolute no-brainer.

I think that people really underrate Revis speed. He ran a 4.38 40 dash at the combine, that's not slow. That's a pretty good speed. What made him great earlier in his career was that amazing combination of technique, speed, and basically knowing what the WR will do before the WR does it. Speed was definitely a part of what made him great, because he could keep up with really fast guys. "He was never fast" is something you can say about guys that run 4.55 ish, like Sherman and Haden at the combine, but not at 4.38.

Not sure I buy his combine numbers. And I put even less stock in the 40 yard dash as a measure of football game speed. FWIW, DSJ ran a 4.35 in the 40 and he thinks Revis is slower than he is.

Eagles' Jackson: I'm too fast for Bucs' Revis

I think that people really underrate Revis speed. He ran a 4.38 40 dash at the combine, that's not slow. That's a pretty good speed. What made him great earlier in his career was that amazing combination of technique, speed, and basically knowing what the WR will do before the WR does it. Speed was definitely a part of what made him great, because he could keep up with really fast guys. "He was never fast" is something you can say about guys that run 4.55 ish, like Sherman and Haden at the combine, but not at 4.38.

Revis' speed was always something that set him apart. Last season was an eye opener for me. Watching him every week, and seeing him in person a few times, made me appreciate his instincts in coverage, his closing speed, and his sure-handed tackling. He got burned occasionally, but was the best corner since Asante Samuel in a Patriots secondary.

The comment by Mehta about Revis having 4 concussions in 39 month was a surprise to me, too. That explains a lot why he went for the money. I wonder how I missed that when the Patriots signed him before the 2014 season.

It's okay for the Jets, though, because the NFL gives teams an easy out when they overpay through the nose. I mean, they can easily just get out of this contract, take a marginal hit, and move on, right?

Revis' speed was always something that set him apart. Last season was an eye opener for me. Watching him every week, and seeing him in person a few times, made me appreciate his instincts in coverage, his closing speed, and his sure-handed tackling. He got burned occasionally, but was the best corner since Asante Samuel in a Patriots secondary.

The comment by Mehta about Revis having 4 concussions in 39 month was a surprise to me, too. That explains a lot why he went for the money. I wonder how I missed that when the Patriots signed him before the 2014 season.
I think my favourite Revis play last year was against the Vikings. When their WR ran an a corner route, and Revis made the cut in the route almost before the receiver and intercepted the ball. He knew exactly what the WR was going to do, and he did it better than the WR did.

He's right, Revis is slower than Djax. That packers game last season showed Revis doesn't have elite speed.
Well, last season we where already talking about older Revis after ACL injury. Revis of 2009 or 2010 was not a slow corner that relied on elite coverage skills and football knowledge. Revis of that time was a fast coner that also had elite coverage skills and football knowledge.

Are we witnessing the decline of the great Darrelle Revis?

Not just Mehta. Cimini as well. Sharks are circling. There is a scent of blood in the water. Once again Belichick anticipates the decline of an aging player with surgical precision. Got one good year, a Lombardi Trophy and mentoring for a pair of young impressionable cornerbacks, and did not try to hang on for too long.

Depends on if you're taking salary and projections of future years into account. If we're looking at it in a vacuum--just this year, no regard for salary--then Revis is still better than Butler. Revis has had some trouble staying healthy, but when he's anywhere close to 100% he's playing at a higher level than Butler does.

But if you're accounting for things like age and Revis making over 30x what Butler makes, Butler over Revis is an absolute no-brainer.
I'm just going on the contribution each player has made to their respective teams so far this year. I think Butler has contributed more than Revis, all things considered.

I'm just going on the contribution each player has made to their respective teams so far this year. I think Butler has contributed more than Revis, all things considered.

Butler made the game winning pick in the SB. Revis got burned for a TD in the SB.

I love me some Butler.

Are we witnessing the decline of the great Darrelle Revis?

Not just Mehta. Cimini as well. Sharks are circling

Paging Captain Obvious:
"He's a 30-year-old, nine-year veteran with an ACL repair -- no way he can be the same player he was five seasons ago," the opposing coach said. "He's still one of the top-five corners in the game, in my opinion. Maybe not No. 1, however. ... He's one of the all-time greats, but he's on the decline."

NYJ paid what you would pay for the 2009-2010 Revis in 2014-2015 because NYJ ownership and fans were butthurt over watching "their" player get a Super Bowl ring here in New England. The numbers mean he's pretty much uncuttable this year, next year or the year after, concussions or not. This is not going to end well for NYJ.

I really, really appreciate what Revis did to help us win a ring last season.
While I confess I also enjoy watching anything that Goodell's team does turn into a train wreck, funny jokes aside, I do not enjoy dumping on a once super elite player as he ages into a very good player. Happens to EVERYONE. We* won't enjoy posts by others denigrating the GOAT QB once he deteriorates.

*Well, many of us excepting the morons posting here about Brady's demise last fall.

Is it me or does revis look bigger this year on the Jets? He looks bulkier like he gained some weight.

Makes you wonder if he let himself go abit once he signed that big contract and that is partially the reason for the decline. Hes all set now. Doesn't matter how he performs he gets paid

I really have nothing against Revis and am extremely thankful to him for last season. I guess his comments during Deflategate did not necessarily ingratiate him to the board. But I never was too upset by what he said. Still not. But yeah, he has looked beatable this season. He has struggled with some of the young'uns in particular. Hey, he's getting up there in age and tread. Law had a few decent seasons in his twilight, but he had gained weight and had become somewhat a shell of himself by Kansas City, as well as the Broncos and Jets (again). It happens. He's still more than probably the best CB we've seen since Deion (with respect to Ty Law, Charles Woodson, Champ Bailey) and a sure first ballot HOFer. And he will go down as one of the more shrewd, and appropriately rich, athletes to ever play football. Think about that. As much as it might frustrate some, the man played his hand about as well as any athlete I've ever seen, especially in football with these contracts that can be voided at any time. I got nothing against dude.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes