PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Revis Signs with NYJ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those of you not including Malcolm Butler in your secondary projections need to pony up for the NFL FILMS BluRay and check out the super slo mo high def footage of three unbelievable pass defense plays he made in the final minutes of the SuperBowl. A fourth (the intentional trip of an open receiver was not included. Two awesome pass defenses against Kearse and the interception. Kid's a keeper.

He had other big games during the season and playoffs too. From what I've seen I'd have no trouble with him playing more snaps.

What gets me is that the pats supposedly gave up on Revis on Monday yet just let Browner walk.

That actually makes sense. Once they knew no Revis they probably knew they'd be changing to a scheme that Browner wouldn't be good in.

That said, why not trade him instead? His contract made him pretty tradable. Why flush that asset away?

So now we need a CB1, possibly a CB2 if Dennard continues the way he did in 2014, and a safety because Chung is no longer going to be able to play near the LOS like he did. I hope there's a plan on the way because we're basically looking at a slightly better version of the 2011 secondary right now.

Why do people keep forgetting about Malcom Butler? That's sinful.
Because the rise of Butler makes their arguments weaker. The kid still has a lot to prove, but if he keeps improving, he could become a great player.

Because it makes their arguments even weaker.

Because relying on an undrafted rookie free agent that showed promise in preseason and had a solid season in spot play is not the way you build a team. Sure, he looked good and I personally feel decent about him, but lets not kid ourselves. He has a long way to go to prove he could step up and cover the likes of Wakins, Bryant, Wallace, and either of the JETS receivers.

Because relying on an undrafted rookie free agent that showed promise in preseason and had a solid season in spot play is not the way you build a team. Sure, he looked good and I personally feel decent about him, but lets not kid ourselves. He has a long way to go to prove he could step up and cover the likes of Wakins, Bryant, Wallace, and either of the JETS receivers.
I agree that he still has a lot to prove, but to not even mention him is folly. If he keeps improving, he'll likely beat out Dennard and Ryan.

I agree that he still has a lot to prove, but to not even mention him is folly. If he keeps improving, he'll likely beat out Dennard and Ryan.

I hope he does beat them out, in fact, he is probably on the fast track to the number 1 spot.

That was my feeling also. I saw too many posters who listed our DBs and didn't include Malcom Butler.

Brady only has a couple of seasons left so why not go for another ring?

When they were winning the Super Bowls they had a dominant secondary. Unless bill has some game plan the secondaries going to be a train wreck this season. god forbid the Patriots slightly over pay for one of the best corners of all time.
QFT. Unfathomable that the majority of this board is putting a positive spin on this. Ignorance is bliss.

I hope Mevis shatters both knees on the first day of TC and never plays another down again.

2 years ago during training camp, reports were that Dennard was among the best defensive players on the field.....that was 2 years ago.

Question on Revis' contract

Yes, I know, put it in the existing thread(s) (where no one will see it), but simple question.

5 years/ 70 M with 48M over the first 3 years and 39 guaranteed (or something).

So the last 2 years are 22M total? 11M per year? Why would he sign a contract that gives him no leverage in the final years? He'd have to hold out and the team wouldn't have to negotiate at that point. Seems like if they wanted to stretch out a bonus for cap reasons, why not put a huge number on the final year(s)? That way he's protected.

2 years ago during training camp, reports were that Dennard was among the best defensive players on the field.....that was 2 years ago.
Dennard never competed for the ball the way Butler does. Dennard also didn't come from a very simple college defense and show consistent improvement his entire rookie year.

When Dennard is right he is godd #2 CB I tink we all like Malcom Butlers ceiling he might be a #2 too when its all said a done. Now we to try and get a possible #1 Through the Draft. More incentive to shore up upfront if we can get to the QB, CB's wont have to cover too long.

@RapSheet: The #Jets are the clear leader for the services of Antonio Cromartie, and the expectation is he signs there. Revis the recruiter.

All of a sudden the JEST defense is back to elite status.

@RapSheet: The #Jets are the clear leader for the services of Antonio Cromartie, and the expectation is he signs there. Revis the recruiter.

Cromartie hates the pats, so it makes sense he would sign with the jets

Cromartie isn't that good.

Question on Revis' contract

Yes, I know, put it in the existing thread(s) (where no one will see it), but simple question.

5 years/ 70 M with 48M over the first 3 years and 39 guaranteed (or something).

So the last 2 years are 22M total? 11M per year? Why would he sign a contract that gives him no leverage in the final years? He'd have to hold out and the team wouldn't have to negotiate at that point. Seems like if they wanted to stretch out a bonus for cap reasons, why not put a huge number on the final year(s)? That way he's protected.

Maybe he sees it as nearly $20 million a year for 2 years????

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST