PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Review of Yahoo streaming today's games

Status
Not open for further replies.

n6249c

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Today I took a break from shopping, and downloaded the new Yahoo Sports app that was advertised to stream the playoff games. Here's my review...

tl;dr version: it works. Very well.

Details: downloaded to my iPhone 6 from the Apple App Store, using cellular data link. Install was smooth, no glitches or hiccups, except for a rough edge on enabling location services (location services required, which I'm not happy about but willing to accept; seemed install is poorly integrated with settings to make that change). Resolved easily, was able to launch app within a few minutes totaled from start of install.

Performance was great. Launched the video stream after connecting my Bluetooth headset. Noticed the stream comes up muted, a nice touch showing some thoughtful consideration about user experience in different environments. With audio enabled both video stream and audio were flawless, as good as watching my home TV FIOS feed.

Watched the last four minutes of the Steelers season, and later watched five or ten minutes of the Saints-Vikings game while waiting for my dinner order. Stream was rock solid, no problems at any time. Only minor annoyance was the "We'll be right back" placeholder screen when the broadcast TV went to commercial and Yahoo didn't have anything else to fill the time (I'd expect they'll soon get smart and run their own promos for the app - if the NFL doesn't make that too costly).

All streaming was over cellular data, did not get to try wifi but assume the only possible issue with that would be the wireless access point or the ISP, nothing to do with the Yahoo app.

Overall rating: solid 4.5 stars (out of five).

Edited to add one drawback (or perhaps advantage?), specifically the inability to follow the GDT while streaming the feed. Was aware of the issue as soon as I got the app running, decided that as amusing as the GDT is, having a live video stream of the game seemed better.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back