PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Report: Gronkowski will try to practice this week

Status
Not open for further replies.
Best news I heard all day. A practicing Gronk is a Gronk that SF has to spend time preparing for whether he plays or not.

Awesome.

It makes no sense to bring him back before the play-offs. Risking him this week makes no sense and they can clearly beat Jacksonville and Miami with him sitting.

It's a broken bone not a sprain or a muscle injury. There is no gray area, its either still broken or healed. If its healed he can play and practice. Broken bones heal stronger than before so there is little to stress about.

It makes no sense to bring him back before the play-offs. Risking him this week makes no sense and they can clearly beat Jacksonville and Miami with him sitting.

the titanium rod will make sure there is no additional damage........this time was to make the stitches heal

Missed the 1st Pats-Phins game I see

Does anyone here actually watch the Pats games?

Sorry to say I was a bit too young for the 1st Pats-Phins game, but Mr Google tells me the Boston Patriots took that one 20-10.

Ohhhhh.. you mean a few weeks ago. Yeah..caught that one. I was torn between a Jersey Shore rerun and the game.

The next one will be a glorified scrimmage as the Doo-fins will have their Monday tee times on their minds like they do every December.

Its certainly good news that Gronk came back to practice. However before everyone gets too excited, IIRC, Mankins, Jones, Hernandez, and Chung off the top of my head, all practiced (limited) for a week BEFORE they actually were cleared to play. I don't think Gronk will be any different.

Listen. this is good news, but not THAT good..

Its certainly good news that Gronk came back to practice. However before everyone gets too excited, IIRC, Mankins, Jones, Hernandez, and Chung off the top of my head, all practiced (limited) for a week BEFORE they actually were cleared to play. I don't think Gronk will be any different.

Listen. this is good news, but not THAT good..

I don't care much whether Gronk plays this week. Sure, I'd love him to be ready, but I don't want him to play if he's not, and one practice in shorts isn't likely to be enough. But it, and being listed as "questionable", are both steps towards getting back.

Mike Lombardi discussed getting Gronk back before the playoffs this morning on Dennis & Callahan:

Rob Gronkowski has not practiced this week, but Lombardi says it is important that the Patriots get him back on the field before the playoffs so that he can be ready.

“I think Gronk has got to play,” Lombardi said. “You’ve got to play football if you’re cleared to play. … I think once he’s cleared to play, you’ve got to get him some reps and depending on where they are in the playoffs and especially if you have to play in Round 1. You want to make sure he’s not going into Round 1 without getting any reps.”

Lombardi: 49ers 'toughest challenge' for Pats

The Pats will have a better idea after this week whether they're likely to have a bye. Beat SF and the road is clear, though not guaranteed. Beat SF and Denver loses and the road is very clear, as I think Baltimore will have a hard time not losing at least one more. Lose to SF and the road to a bye is much, much harder, though not impossible. But either way, they need to get Gronk ready to be in form for the playoffs. So I could see a couple of scenarios:

1. He's out for the SF game, practices next week, plays a few snaps for Jax, and then plays the Miami game.
2. Same as #1 but he misses the Jax game, and then plays the Miami game.
3. He's out for the SF game, practices next week, plays the Jax game, and then can be used sparingly for the Miami game depending on where things stand.
4. He plays a few snaps in the SF game to keep them on their toes and see how he does, and then is worked into the mix for the Jacksonville game.

Again, we're talking about a break here that has a titanium rod in it. If the bone is healed, it's healed. It's not like a muscle pull that will get re-aggravated. It's not a weight-bearing injury. It won't effect his speed or mobility. But there's obviously no benefit to putting him at risk if he's not fully cleared.

I'd be more than happy if he can play at Jacksonville next week. If he started practicing today one would think he'll be available for that. So it is very good news.

I'd be more than happy if he can play at Jacksonville next week. If he started practicing today one would think he'll be available for that. So it is very good news.

Yeah..agreed .. Kidding aside, I'd like to see him get some game action before the playoffs. I do think it's more likely he skips the flight and stays at home for the last game.

PFT says Gronk is out.

I think we'll see him against the Jags just as a receiver, and then let him do some blocking again against the Dolphins, before being back to full snaps two weeks later in the first playoff game.

(See what I did there?)

PFT says Gronk is out.

My only thing is who is Florio's league source Belichick or someone who is privy? 48 hours from the game, he's listed as questionable.

Now I don't think he will play but still what if he comes to the stadium Sunday and says he wants to go and the doctors say he has as much chance of re-injuring it than he does of breaking his other forearm

Last edited:
Well Bill thinks he is atleast 50-50 or wants the 49ers to think so. As he is listed as Questionable

I'd have been happy with a "Doubtful" - yippy Skippy! ;) :woohoo: Love me some Belichickian psy-ops :cool:

Last edited:
My only thing is who is Florio's league source Belichick or someone who is privy?
Other reporters seem to think it's Rosenhaus, Gronk's agent. Apparently Florio breaks news about his clients a lot.

Yeah..agreed .. Kidding aside, I'd like to see him get some game action before the playoffs. I do think it's more likely he skips the flight and stays at home for the last game.

Why would he do that? The game will most likely mean something, if his arm is ok he'll keep on playing once he can.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back