PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Report: Gronkowski will try to practice this week

Status
Not open for further replies.
From the comments on that article:

"if he was treated by the Ravens medical staff, he’d be playing this week."

That's pretty friggin funny assuming he's implying PED usage from Suggs.

practice this week and sit and/or limited play Sunday (maybe put him in the red zone offense package)

practice next week play 1/4 to 1/2 game against Jacks

practice folowing week play 1/2 to 3/4 game against Miami

Football conditioning, timing and playing skills do not come back at the flip of a switch, particulalry in the Pats offense. It would be a great to learn that Gronk practiced this week. I understand the desire to get him to 100% but he needs to be practicing to be prepared for the playoffs even if it is with a red no contact shirt to start.

Sounds good to me.

For this week, I'd just put him in on PATs. Just to tweak the radio talk twits.

who was the last blocking/receiving player to play with one? It's one thing for a DL or LBer where you more or less control the contact but the blocking motion and jumping up for passes and coming down and bracing etc. doesn't seem like it would work with a still broken forearm. Not to mention that don't those casts have a piece that runs around the thumb and across the palm?

I could be wrong but the idea of him playing his game with a cast seems like it's really pushing it.

True and the NFL does regulate the size of the cast, etc.

Fact: He had adamantium input during surgery
Fact: I texted him and told him it's fantasy playoffs this week so I need him
Fact: I don't know what "fact" means

That said, he will play!!!

But probably not...

If he wears a cast why can he not play? His legs/back/head were not injured. It was a broken arm?
Thats how i feel depending where exactly the brake is. If its slightly above the wrist i could see him wearing a light wgt epoxy based cast. Very thin, non intrusive but strong.

who was the last blocking/receiving player to play with one? It's one thing for a DL or LBer where you more or less control the contact but the blocking motion and jumping up for passes and coming down and bracing etc. doesn't seem like it would work with a still broken forearm. Not to mention that don't those casts have a piece that runs around the thumb and across the palm?

I could be wrong but the idea of him playing his game with a cast seems like it's really pushing it.
Don't have him block, just run and catch. Use him on a limited number of plays in the end zone and as a decoy

Edelgod in 09

Don't have him block, just run and catch. Use him on a limited number of plays in the end zone and as a decoy

Love this idea. He will require defensive attention (more so than Shiancoe or Huuuuuman). At worst he is your decoy for Hernandez/Welker/Lloyd/Vereen/Woodhead

I would use him as a blocker only.When one falls(and football players fall a lot)you brace yourself how?;)

I would use him as a blocker only.When one falls(and football players fall a lot)you brace yourself how?;)

I'd be shocked if most football players don't tuck and roll. Almost anyone that gets involved in an activity that results in a lot of falling rewires themselves early on to go with the momentum and not try to fight it.

NEWS FLASH: Report: Gronk Will Try to Practice This Week

Rob Gronkowski Injury: Updates on Patriots Star's Forearm | Bleacher Report

Rob Gronkowski Injury: Updates on Patriots Star's Forearm
BY IAN HANFORD (FEATURED COLUMNIST) ON NOVEMBER 18, 2012 62,633 reads 171
Use your ← → (arrow) keys to browse more storiesNext

Rob Gronkowski is still recovering from forearm surgery suffered when the New England Patriots defeated the Indianapolis Colts in Week 11.

:rocker::rocker:

Last edited:
I agree with the folks who think they should bring back Gronk for the last game of the season....Like my signature below says..it's all about doing well in the tournament....Rather have a healthier Gronk come playoff time...than a setback bringing him back too early..like Hernandez!!!

Didn't a 49ers OL back in the 80s or 90s play with an arm cast on for a while? Guy McIntyire or Harris Barton or one of those guys? I could be imagining things too.

Anyways would be great to see him out there Sunday. I'm hoping we at least get to see him for the last 2 regular season games, like earlier this season it might take some time to see the real Gronk

Last edited:
I hope thats a joke an unhealthy Gronk as we have all seen is of NO use to us in the playoffs. We still have Hernandez...there is NO need to rush Gronk back.

If the arm is healed, it's healed. Re-breaking isn't an easy thing to do, especially if he's wearing a protective cast. If he's healthy enough that they clear him to practice, and the team is better with him playing, then I certainly hope they value getting a bye and HFA over the small chance of reinjury.

That's the one thing that I don't get about the "hold him out until the playoffs" crowd. Acting like the Pats already have their playoff seed wrapped up.

Certainly wouldnt be the first casted player in the NFL. It seemed to work out fine for Edelman. I'm sure the Patriots medical staff wouldn't do anything rash, they aren't stupid. I could see some organizations doing something like this out of job saving desperation but not the Pats. The Patriots have a lot of incentive in making sure Gronk is healthy long term. There would be financial consequences to the organization if they were to damage their product. And just because he comes back doesn't mean he will play every game snap.

Didn't a 49ers OL back in the 80s or 90s play with an arm cast on for a while? Guy McIntyire or Harris Barton or one of those guys? I could be imagining things too.

Anyways would be great to see him out there Sunday. I'm hoping we at least get to see him for the last 2 regular season games, like earlier this season it might take some time to see the real Gronk

Many defensive players have played with arm casts, and some O-Linemen too. But as a pass catcher, it's a different story.

I agree with the folks who think they should bring back Gronk for the last game of the season....Like my signature below says..it's all about doing well in the tournament....Rather have a healthier Gronk come playoff time...than a setback bringing him back too early..like Hernandez!!!

Gronk's injury and Hernandez's aren't really comparable.

Fret not people. It was his left arm that was broken; he'll still be able to spike the ball with authority.

they released shiancoe as well....i would certainly think decoy move on gronk practicing just to get SF to plan for him....

but coupled with the shiancoe release....i wouldn't be surprised to see him on the field

i don't expect it....but it wouldn't surprise me

I don't think Schiancoe's release has anything to do with Gronk. Hoohoomanawanui has been getting more reps and do well with them, and Schiancoe taking up a valuable roster spot while contributing little.

After he mishandled Mallett's pass into a pick and then 7 points, I started really wondering how much longer he'd be kept around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes