PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Report: Gronkowski will try to practice this week

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a broken bone not a sprain or a muscle injury. There is no gray area, its either still broken or healed. If its healed he can play and practice. Broken bones heal stronger than before so there is little to stress about.

The amount of misinformation and ignorance around here re: bone breaks is kinda staggering to me. As you said: f the bone's healed, then you're good to go. If it isn't, then you aren't. Don't know why people keep insisting that there's a whole spectrum of readiness, and that 'rushing him back' is a major concern. It's getting kind of annoying, to be honest.

PFT says Gronk is out.

I think we'll see him against the Jags just as a receiver, and then let him do some blocking again against the Dolphins, before being back to full snaps two weeks later in the first playoff game.

(See what I did there?)

Against the lowest remaining seed in the AFC.

Last edited:
It's a broken bone not a sprain or a muscle injury. There is no gray area, its either still broken or healed. If its healed he can play and practice. Broken bones heal stronger than before so there is little to stress about.

Not true. And one of the issues with Gronk's particular injury is it is in an area that gets little blood flow thereby potentially lengthening the healing process although stimulation devices are sometimes used to enhance blood flow to the area.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/19/health/19really.html?_r=0

Bones tend to begin to knit together in 7-10 days, but it's a process before they are fully healed. During the bone healing process there may be a time when the fracture area is stronger than the rest of the bone, but that is due to the rest of the bone weakening due to lack of activity. Which is why even as he begins to practice on some level he may not be cleared for game/contact for a while yet.

He's still listed as also having a hip problem.

Not true. And one of the issues with Gronk's particular injury is it is in an area that gets little blood flow thereby potentially lengthening the healing process although stimulation devices are sometimes used to enhance blood flow to the area.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/19/health/19really.html?_r=0

Bones tend to begin to knit together in 7-10 days, but it's a process before they are fully healed. During the bone healing process there may be a time when the fracture area is stronger than the rest of the bone, but that is due to the rest of the bone weakening due to lack of activity. Which is why even as he begins to practice on some level he may not be cleared for game/contact for a while yet.

And a test done by German scientists backed by a medical research company showed that their device produced results with patients having 34% greater bone density & stronger bone mass compared to patients who didn't.

Ultrasound device helps bones heal faster and stronger - Telegraph

i see him coming back for miami game as a tune up

hope not...why bring him back in that game? Horrible idea

I agree ... I am nervous even watching Hernandez out there ... he seems strained and not right.

I agree ... I am nervous even watching Hernandez out there ... he seems strained and not right.

Yeah, Hernandez is still 70% according to the eyeball test.

I will not rush him, our offense is alright. I'll unleash Gronk in the playoffs!

hope not...why bring him back in that game? Horrible idea

miss the limited fashion part?

i'm not saying throw him out there for 65 snaps but get him worked in for about 20 or so. throw him a few balls and make sure his timing & game condition is ok. then up his workload against miami. ideally we blow both teams out and rest all our starters after the 3rd quarter.

Last edited:
I guess i'm just of the opinion that if the coaching/medical staff deems him healthy enough to play and don't think he'll risk further injury to the arm, get him on the field

I just quite like the idea of lets just put him on a shelf until the post-season

The last time gronk came back early from an injury he had little impact and was a liability for brady .

Gronk isn't needed right now.

Last edited:
The last time gronk came back early from an injury he had little impact and was liability for brady .

huge difference between a screwed up ankle and a broken bone in his arm.

huge difference between a screwed up ankle and a broken bone in his arm.

We could ease him back in by only playing him on the PAT team.

What are the chances of getting injured doing that?

;)

We could ease him back in by only playing him on the PAT team.

What are the chances of getting injured doing that?

;)

LOL! It would be the ultimate BB GFY to the media if he used Gronk exclusively on ST this weekend.

The last time gronk came back early from an injury he had little impact and was a liability for brady .

high ankle sprain vs. broken forearm...

none of Gronks athleticism/cutting abilities should be affected by an arm injury...only thing would be his catching if he cant grasp the ball

Speculation continues

Door opens on Gronkowski playing tonight | ProFootballTalk

It’s probably more mind games from Belichick to make the opposing DC have to prepare for the possibility.

But he could do what he did with Hernandez – let him come back for a game, then keep him on the sidelines for subsequent games to heal – keeping DCs on guard for all the following games

The same source says that, while it remains unlikely Gronkowski plays, his toughness and determination could result in an unexpected appearance on Sunday night.

Of course, doctors would have to approve it. If they do, then we may see Gronkowski in a game that the Pats need to win if they want to remain in position to swipe the top seed from the Texans.

This gets back to one of my previous points - if there's a choice between winning the top seed from the Texans or getting Gronk back for the playoffs fully healthy, I prefer Gronk and a lower seed over no Gronk and a high seed.

Last edited:
high ankle sprain vs. broken forearm...

none of Gronks athleticism/cutting abilities should be affected by an arm injury...only thing would be his catching if he cant grasp the ball

In Gronk's case its not just catching the ball - it's his ability to bull his way forward knocking down players and carrying them with him quite often.

Maybe with a good cast he can still do that - but there's more stress on his forearm than other players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes