PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Remaining Cap space: How to use this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No I'm not a capologist. But when it states that $12million does not include Chandler and Branch, the thread title was misleading to those who do not read the commentary.

Yes- Miguel calls that out.

I know it wouldn't be flashy, but re-sign Dan Connolly. Look to extend Hightower, Jones, and/or Solder.

I would love to see New England grab Rashean Mathis and then draft someone like Justin Cox later in the draft. If Tillman can get healthy, that'd be a great pick-up too, but that's a big if. Might have to retire.
Mathis and Tillman? Aren't they 34 years old?

I know it wouldn't be flashy, but re-sign Dan Connolly. Look to extend Hightower, Jones, and/or Solder.
and bring back Wilfork. Draft OG and DT to develop behind Connelly and Wilfork.

Mathis and Tillman? Aren't they 34 years old?

Stop gaps. Age doesn't matter. they both have enough in the tank to be effective while draft prospects take over. At worst, they get you to next years UFA group.

I think a few pieces will be brought to training camp but no more flashy signings, maybe one nice signing but I think Bill is totally focused on the draft. So a smart move would be to extend our own "soon to be" free agents. I would start with Hightower, we can sign him for a fair amount in this off season, next season if the starts align (Mayo and Easley healthy, nice DT rotation, Collins still improving) he is set to have his best season and turn into a top 3 LB in NFL, then his value will sky rocket.

They should get $3.25 million if the NFLPA grievance is decided in their favor.

I have not followed the entire Hernandez cap debacle much, but is this money the NFLPA set aside because of the grievance or is this just money that he would owe the Patriots ? Because if it is the latter you would still have to hope he actually has that amount of money and you can retrieve it. Otherwise, there is no additional cap space as far as I know. @Miguel ?

I'd love to see them sign some of the young lbs long term, much like they approached Gronk and the prisoner. Hightower and Collins souls be priorities for them. Jones to a lesser extent.

Due to the changes in the 2011 CBA they can't extend anyone that early anymore. Gronk and Hernandez were apparently grandfathered in with the old CBA. So Collins is out of question.

The reasons why would be that he match up with taller receivers well, the non-blocking TE's or RBs out of the backfield. Last time I checked the team was still average in that area. Why can't he play the "big nickle" SS/DB the team employs? Why can't he play that "cover LB" role. His physical presence was a benefit.

I wish he stayed.

As with most players that leave NE it was most probably because his role in a new defense wouldn't justify his contract. Or in shorter words, the determined value was not there. Now, whether you agree with that is highly subjective I guess but you are going up against a guy (BB) with a very, very good track record when it comes to determining value of players.

Last edited:
I am no capologist but I think they can get up to $3.25m cap relief and anything more they would have to recover from AH. Obviously, they aren't getting money back from him.

When is the cap completely clear from this loser? It is what is. A bad signing and a blunder evidently from the front office and a heist from the murderer. Not big on numbers but when does his name come completely off the books?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST