PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reiss Weights in on Branch - No Contract Contact Since May

Status
Not open for further replies.
MoLewisrocks said:
Alexander was already franchised when he agreed to come end his holdout provided they would agree not to franchise him again in 2006. And he then played the season under the tag and re-signed with Seattle just days before FA was scheduled to commence this season. Besides which he was fully established as one of the elite RB in the league already and had proven to be both consistent, durable and prolific. And he had apparently honored his rookie contract to it's limit.

So any comparison between Deion and Shaun (or the Patriots situation vs. Seattle's) is apples and oranges.

I thought that he might had been franchised the year before but wasn't sure.

Dieon does not have a lot of bargining power. If he holds out all year he's in the same situation next year. If he doesn't agree to a contract the Patriots can tag him.

His best bet is to see if he can get a bump this year and see if he gets tagged. Or, maybe some is willing to give up a first rounder for him and pay him the really big bucks. I doubt it but he does not have a lot of options.

In the end, Chayet works for Branch. Correct? I've always had great respect for Deion and the way he's carried himself, until this ********* contract situation came up.
The guy is under contract and the Pats, recognizing that he has "outperformed" (what a joke concept this is for us regular schmucks) the original deal, have made him a generous 3 year extension offer. Where his head is at is anyone's guess but at this stage of the game, I'm starting to get as sick of him and his agent as I did with Law and the frauds that represent him.
Branch should be told that he either takes the deal now and comes into camp or he sits and gets franchised for the next 5 years (not sure if this is even possible-but it sounds good)
Do you want to play? Do you want to be a millionaire? If so, it's with us or it's not happening at all. End of story. Message sent to all others that will be contemplating this tactic down the road! And there will be others!
Branch controls his agent, not the other way around. This is all Deion here people. Nobody but Deion!
Rich

PATSNUTme said:
I thought that he might had been franchised the year before but wasn't sure.

Dieon does not have a lot of bargining power. If he holds out all year he's in the same situation next year. If he doesn't agree to a contract the Patriots can tag him.

His best bet is to see if he can get a bump this year and see if he gets tagged. Or, maybe some is willing to give up a first rounder for him and pay him the really big bucks. I doubt it but he does not have a lot of options.

Actually it's even worse Nut - if he holds out all season his contract doesn't get tolled and he's stuck in year 5 playing for free after his fines are levied for as long as it takes for him to show up by week 10 of a season. And if he does the week 10 thing I wouldn't hold my breath about seeing the field before week 12-13 (or at all if we're winning) on a Belichick team. It will be hard to compile the kind of stats that prove you have been undervalued here with just a few weeks remaining in a season. If you really shine you may still get a decent deal (as a tag and trade though, not a UFA) but if you stumble at all your career is toast and you are as PFW suggests looking for a one year re-prove yourself deal. And for that you need to sign with a team that has a slot suited to your particular skills and a QB who can accommodate them.

This is basically a no win situation. Difference is there are 80 guys on our roster and somehow or another the team will survive and may yet thrive. Deion stands to lose the most, not just this year (as we do without him) but over the next several years when we will have moved on without him. Then it'll just be him and Jason Chayut vs. the world. Likely they'll still be whining about how this team screwed him. Stupid.

Last edited:
I think Chayut's arrogance and pride (common amoung top agents) has gotten the better of him, and he is not going to back down. The Pats FO is also not going to back down, although I bet they would waive all fines in a heartbeat if Deion would come to camp now.

So at this point, it is up to Deion to defy the will of his agent and make the right choice.

I gave Deion the benefit of the doubt for a while, but at this point he is not thinking clearly on this issue, IMO. He is making the wrong choice, and it has come to the time where he simply has to go against his agent's stubborn misguided wishes. Time for Deion to be his own man.

Otherwise, he is just plain gone. For sure. 100%.

QuiGon said:
This Reiss guy has got to go. He is such a good reporter that I have nothing to whine and complain about. He provides complete information on a controversial matter in a fair, unbiased way without any personal vendettas against specific players and/or management. Doesn't he realize that is not the way to build a career in this city..?!?
must be a Borges fan...are you President??

Reiss does a great job, but I STILL think they'll be writers here who will trash the Patriots for not giving in...and that is sad.. Has anyone seen that distorted pic of Chad Brown??? That's really Branch's head swelling up like that..he has got to come down to earth some day, or he's gone andmaybe blowing a good career. Sorry Deion..you are being use by a cheap Poston wannabee..didn't know you were that DUMB!!! As this goes on more and more, the more I think he's NOT WORTH signing..and the Patriots at some point will move on and leave you...and fins another receiver..you are't that special!!! A twig not a root...

The Pats have proved with Adam that they are perfectly fine going into the season with a player with a franchise tag. Because it is technically possible that the Pats could enter next year with Branch franchise tagged, the threat of the being tagged for Branch is real. That's why his agent is trying to get out of being tagged. Won't work. The Patriots will never let Branch hit the FA market next year. He can try to get another team to get a deal done, but let's face it. Will another team lose a 1st round picks and give a mega-deal to Branch, knowing that is a small WR who tends to get banged up????? Its one thing to give him a mega-deal, but it is the first round pick that makes the deal hard.

Unless another team gives us a heck of a deal to take Branch off our hands, he will be a Patriot this year and next year. Maybe even franchised twice, because I think under the new CBA, we can franchise him twice.

Last edited:
BelichickFan said:
He seemed like a great PERSON too.

As the Cindy Lauper song goes : "Money . . . Money Changes Everything".

You didn't just quote Cindy Lauper, what is this world coming to? You're better than that BF!

mgcolby said:
You didn't just quote Cindy Lauper, what is this world coming to? You're better than that BF!

Wow! I missed that.

Cindy Lauper doesn't even quote Cindy Lauper anymore.:rofl:

thewaylifeshouldbe said:
The only reason I can fathom (and one thats been pointed out before in other places) is a decision has been made that Branch definitely wants to get to FA, and is trying to leverage that situation by the "will report if no franchise tag is placed" stance.

Bingo! (I'm sorry to say.) It's the only way it makes sense to me -- unfortunately, it leaves TB looking naive.

I have sympathy with Deion wanting his extension before this season (more so than I did with the much better paid Seymour last year) but, if he isn't open to a reasonable offer for an extension, then I'm with the team one hundred per cent if it sticks to its guns. Don't give in to the "drop-the-franchise-tag-or-I-hold-out" threat!

PATSNUTme said:
Wow! I missed that.

Cindy Lauper doesn't even quote Cindy Lauper anymore.:rofl:

Hey, Mr No-Politics Police. There's a provocative political sig. on this thread and you haven't jumped on it. What's up?

mgcolby said:
Hey, I grew up in the '80s, deal with it :)

Don't worry, I'm not a Cindy Lauper fan. But it was fitting and she does have a really good voice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mike the Brit said:
Hey, Mr No-Politics Police. There's a provocative political sig. on this thread and you haven't jumped on it. What's up?

But the guy is a Judi, he may come after me with his Swartz.

We now have 6 members of the Mod Squad on this board. I'll let them take care of that stuff for now on.

I'm turning in my badge, there are new sherrif's in town.:help:

We're not used to holdouts around here.

If your attorney tells you to shut up, you do it because he understands the law. It's not that you're necessarily guilty or afraid to speak. If your agent advises you to withold services under penalty during negotiations because you could potentially earn more than your rookie contract will pay you, who among us can say we'd turn down the raise in the spirit of being a good teammate?

As much as I wish Deion got his ass in camp, I'm a little tired of the media/fans criticizing a guy like this for being a bad teammate -- if he's already making great money and he's holding out that's one thing.

Deion hasn't once complained about playing under his rookie contract. We still haven't heard peep from him during this episode. If you want to bash somebody make Chayut-Borges the punching bag.

I'm not going overboard like Tom did...I don't have to. But Deion's won a SB MVP (you can debate that all day long, but you can't say he didn't have a heck of a game) and has clearly been the best receiver on our team for the past few years. Last year Hines Ward held out...another lousy teammate who played under contract for peanuts...but the Rooney's "always took care of him"...BULL****.

Let's not compare Branch to TO or other greedy players who demand attention on the field and abuse their QBs and destroy teams. It's a rare thing to have a talented WR who keeps his mouth shut and always says the right things.

It's a bitter pill to swallow, but let's try having a little tolerance for Deion's holdout, while hoping it comes to a quick end. This year the other receivers will really look up to him...there's so much he can do on the practice field to help Jackson and Caldwell.

...and he will in good time. Believe it or not, this will all pass. Let's not point fingers at either side. Don't let the media give you any reason to be pessimistic about this team (injuries are the only thing that can stop this team, and we're beyond due for a relatively healthy season). If other fans heard the negativity coming from our beat, they'd puke.

He'll be there in September I think, and he'll pick right up where he's left off.

Sure he's under contract, but in the real world contracts are redone in good faith ALL THE TIME. We're all about paying guys for their value to the team...in that case we should all agree that it's time to reevaluate/renew/rethink his rookie deal.

Ironically, all the dead cap space we seem to have is not helping the team's negotiating position...just a little lesson for our FO next year. Though after running out of money last year with all the injuries, they seem determined not to overspend again.

In order to understand TB's stance you have to separate all this from the FO and Chayut. Don't worry, he's not "naive," he's ten steps ahead. Who should Tom have a closer relationship with: his teammates or Scott Pioli? At the end of the day, Tom just wants Deion to be happy. He's constantly doing things off the field which enhance his leadership. We just don't hear about all of them.

The SI piece was as harmless as it was brilliant -- surprising, yes -- landmark really...more I think about it the more I'm impressed. He makes all the right moves. Had it been too watered down it would've backfired. And yet he let Silver handle the dirty work without actually speaking out against the organization. Every pull quote was either complimentary to Deion or the team...he was critical of the league itself...not our FO.

In Charley Pierce's upcoming bio on Tom, he cites a local Congressman who claims Tom is the only guy he'd ever seen who was on "Clinton's level" in a small group. Whatever your political views, we can all agree that Clinton knew how to get what he wanted. We have no idea how lucky/spoiled we are right now.:rocker:

Last edited:
Why would they want to franchise a malcontent? Isn't there a danger that they can't trade him and they're stuck paying him 6-7M? Would they want to pay that to a malcontent? Don't think so.

I think they should agree not to franchise him and if he has a breakout year, franchise him anyway. Screw um.

What are the ramifications of his hold out? If he doesn't show up before week 10, then the year doesn't count at all? And he's under contract for one more year? IF I were BB and he didn't show up, I'd just make him inactive for the rest of the year.

I hate Jason Chayut...thats all I can possibly say. Goddamn him...and all the agents in the NFL. Just get rid of them! :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Taildragger: While I agree with a lot of what you say, I think that the greater point to be made right now is that it appears that this will be Deion's final year with the team, unless Deion tells his agent to wise up.

Sure, Deion will likely play in September, and may be up to speed mentally. But his risk of injury increases, after missing all of camp. If Deion holds out into the regular season, we know for sure that he is never going to be a Pat again. Bioli has limits to their tolerance, and what they will allow to go on. They won't allow that precedent to be set.

Further, Chayut has burned all bridges with the Pats. They have not negotiated or talked since May. Chayut doesn't even communicate with the team enough to know whether Deion will be fined or not.

I believe that Deion is being played by his agent. I believe that Deion is being told that things will work out just great and that he will be back playing for a huge salary in no time. But I also believe that Chayut plans on sending Deion to another team next year, and probably is letting Deion exist in a false state of security.

Deion, Brady, and some of us believe that things are just gonna work out fine. But at this point, it is very clear and very obvious that Chayut simply wants to move on to a bigger paycheck with another team. Hence, all the fuss about the franchise tag not being used.

But Chayut has probably told Deion to not worry about a thing and that everything is great. He is trying to pull a bait and switch which will find Deion in another uniform in 2007. That much is obvious at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News