PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reiss thinks Pats would be interested in Deion Branch if released

Status
Not open for further replies.
We haven't won a Super Bowl since Branch left I don't think that's a coincidence - the guy is clutch.

So clutch in fact that he single handedly got us out of the first round against the Titans in 2003 with his gutsy performance of 3 catches for 10 yards. Although he definitely made up for that with his MVP-like performance of 2 catches for 23 yards against Indy the following week in the AFCCG.

Then again in 2004 we never would have made it out of the divisional round without his 1 catch for 15 yards.

Let's not re-write history, the guy had 3 great and 3 terrible playoff games. There are many reasons we haven't won since 04 and Branch wasn't even close to the reason we won in 03/04. The 03-04 defense was great.

Eh, maybe. Bring him in at vet minimum and let him compete for a spot.

He'd better not be the only addition made at WR though...

Moss
Welker (half a season)
Edelman
Branch (great unknown at this point)
Tate (how does he bounce back)
Aiken (special teamer)
Stanbeck (not likely to catch lightning in a bottle with converted QBs twice)

Too many question marks in that receiving group. If we bring in Branch, I think we still need another value vet and a draft pick to compete in camp.

If Branch were a patriot, would we cut him? Of course not! Branch is well worth bringing into camp.

I don't even think I'd take him for the vet minimum. The guy is essentially playing on one leg.

If Branch were a patriot, would we cut him? Of course not! Branch is well worth bringing into camp.

All things being equal, including his production over the last couple of seasons and his 2010 salary, damn straight we would... That said, he's worth a shot if he's released and he's motivated to prove he's not entirely toast. Provided as someone else said we (and especially Tommy) don't bank on him remotely returning to pre injury form or invest too much financially or emotionally in hopes of that happening. He was a durability concern here almost from the outset and that has proven to be his downfall. Could he rebound and get back to that form? Unlikely. Could he still contribute? Potentially. But he's not the answer to WTF are we goint to do if Welker can't get back before Thanksgiving or isn't Welker at all in 2010...

brady can think of a spot on the field and Branch will be there.
This is exactly why we should get him. Brady had a level of comfort with him that he will never have again with any other WR.

Branch would be brought in to serve as the WR3, not the WR1. He'd also likely be brought in against competition, as I see Tate and another veteran or two battling for the spot.

Frankly, I don't really see any negative to bringing him in on either an incentive based contract or on short money. It may not be 2004 but, with a decent offseason, we can sure as hell hope it's not 2009 and Sam Aiken as WR3 again. Anyone who doesn't think that Deion Branch would be a better WR3 than Sam "20 catches!" Aiken, Matthew Slater or Isaiah Stanbach is, of course, welcome to that opinion.

A buddy texted me he heard Branch for a 4th round pick, probably from talk radio... anyone else hearing them say that? Can't listen at work :(

Branch would be brought in to serve as the WR3, not the WR1. He'd also likely be brought in against competition, as I see Tate and another veteran or two battling for the spot.

Frankly, I don't really see any negative to bringing him in on either an incentive based contract or on short money. It may not be 2004 but, with a decent offseason, we can sure as hell hope it's not 2009 and Sam Aiken as WR3 again. Anyone who doesn't think that Deion Branch would be a better WR3 than Sam "20 catches!" Aiken, Matthew Slater or Isaiah Stanbach is, of course, welcome to that opinion.

I think he could be a better option if healthy. Unfortunately, that's a BIG if.

Last edited:
This is exactly why we should get him. Brady had a level of comfort with him that he will never have again with any other WR.

I'd say that his comfort level with Welker is slightly higher. :cool:

I think Branch still has something left in his tank

Branch could be the Banta Cain of this offense...while going elsewhere he never made an impact,but once back here he flourished.

So clutch in fact that he single handedly got us out of the first round against the Titans in 2003 with his gutsy performance of 3 catches for 10 yards. Although he definitely made up for that with his MVP-like performance of 2 catches for 23 yards against Indy the following week in the AFCCG.

Then again in 2004 we never would have made it out of the divisional round without his 1 catch for 15 yards.

Let's not re-write history, the guy had 3 great and 3 terrible playoff games. There are many reasons we haven't won since 04 and Branch wasn't even close to the reason we won in 03/04. The 03-04 defense was great.

I'm not arguing that those defenses weren't epic, they were, but...the 2003-04 defense blew the lead in SB 38 twice and almost blew it again in SB 39. Fortunately, McNabb puked himself and threw the ball to Rodney, but if it weren't for that, it could've marked the 4th Super Bowl this decade in which the Patriots defense gave up a lead in the 4th quarter of the Super Bowl.

To say Branch had "bad postseason games" isn't accurate - back in those days, we had enough receivers where no one guy needed to put up #s. But look how he stepped up in Super Bowl games:

10 catches for 143 yards & 11 catches for 133 yards.

Deion Branch

Sources tell the Chicago Tribune's Around Town celebrity column that Deion Branch "wants to sign with the Bears." .......Branch is apparently considered a good fit for new OC Jeremy Bates' scheme.

More...

He finished toward the bottom of Football Outsiders' and Profootballfocus.com's receiver rankings in 2009.

He was 21st in 2008. Not bad.

Branch himself said that his knee will never be the same.

At this point, he is nothing more than a 4th WR- maybe a 3rd WR at best.

I'd say that his comfort level with Welker is slightly higher. :cool:

I'm not sure I agree with this. Obviously the production is much greater with Welker, but Branch & Brady were as in-tune as they get. I remember seeing them on 60 minutes showing the two working out, Brady would just look at Branch a certain way and Branch knew what adjustment to make. These guys were BFFs on a level that at least rivals the Brady-Moss and Brady-Welker chemistry. I'd say even surpasses b/c it had two rings to back it up.

No. No. No. No. Branch wouldn't come in to be anything less than a #2 and he is made of glass. Unless he is humbled by his release and lack of interest in his services, I don't want him back.

What I would like, is a 2003 Deion Branch type player. Not a 2010 Deion Branch

To say Branch had "bad postseason games" isn't accurate - back in those days, we had enough receivers where no one guy needed to put up #s. But look how he stepped up in Super Bowl games:

10 catches for 143 yards & 11 catches for 133 yards.

No actually it's 100% accurate and it's not like Branch wasn't needed in those 3 games. It wasn't like other receivers were dominating, they could have used Branch's production but the defense helped overcome some of the anemic performances. You gave 2 games but you have to get to the superbowl first, and without the 03-04 defenses neither of those teams make it to the SB relying on Branch. Brady has more to do with Branch's numbers than Branch. Not saying he wasn't good and wasn't valuable, but it needs some perspective. Gaffney got 100+ yards in 2 games in the 06 playoffs, Caldwell had 80 yards in one. It's Brady... not Branch.

You can't just throw out his 3 TERRIBLE games because it doesn't fit your argument. Facts are facts, sorry if you don't like them.

(And btw that was 5 years ago)

Last edited:
I'm not sure I agree with this. Obviously the production is much greater with Welker, but Branch & Brady were as in-tune as they get. I remember seeing them on 60 minutes showing the two working out, Brady would just look at Branch a certain way and Branch knew what adjustment to make. These guys were BFFs on a level that at least rivals the Brady-Moss and Brady-Welker chemistry. I'd say even surpasses b/c it had two rings to back it up.

You are simply nostalgic

You are simply nostalgic

Maybe. But I'm sure Brady is too - there's a comfort level, why not reunite it? Is he what he used to be? No. But we basically have to have a Galloway-esque signing this year, we'll need another stopgap, moreso b/c of the Welker injury. Branch fits that.

Maybe. But I'm sure Brady is too - there's a comfort level, why not reunite it? Is he what he used to be? No. But we basically have to have a Galloway-esque signing this year, we'll need another stopgap, moreso b/c of the Welker injury. Branch fits that.

I'm sure they'll bring in many options and look at a lot of guys. I wouldn't be opposed to bringing Branch back for the -right- price. Not for a 4th round draft pick though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News