PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reiss thinks Pats would be interested in Deion Branch if released

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do any of the Branch fans here remember what role he was used in when he was here? Randy Moss does that now. David Givens was doing the role you are talking about bringing Branch back for.

Branch pretty much did it all in our offense, I wouldn't say he's a 1:1 comp to Moss, either in how we used him or in his skillset. He's much more quick-twitch than Moss, and made a lot more catches in intermediate routes. Let's put it this way - he'd get open far more often than Sam Aiken is able to. We just need a guy who can get separation so that he can take advantage of the 1 on 1 coverage he's receiving opposite Moss - it doesn't matter how tall he is or how big he is. All of the receivers on our offense have to have the ability to play multiple wide receiver positions and line up in multiple places, including Moss.

Besides having a guy who can play Moss' position would even free up Moss more, and free up this offense, which teams are so familiar with now thanks to its prolific nature. And it would also add depth behind Moss, who was forced to play banged up last season when he probably could've used rest.

That's a lot of good things coming from a guy who - if released - could be had for pretty cheap and sounds like he's ready to come back and admit he made a mistake leaving for a few extra bucks.

Last edited:
I'm not sure how people can say that Branch isn't an encouraging option at WR. He would fit nicely in our 5 WR's. I'm sure everyone remembers we carried Moss, Welker, Edelman, Aiken, Stanback this past year.

I'm not sure how people can say that Branch isn't an encouraging option at WR. He would fit nicely in our 5 WR's. I'm sure everyone remembers we carried Moss, Welker, Edelman, Aiken, Stanback this past year.

He'd fit in nicely for about 9 games and be injured for the other 7, leaving the Patriots to have to play a guy like Stanback or Aiken in that spot anyway.

Branch is still a decent WR, when healthy. The problem is, the guy has never shown he is capable of staying on the field; only 1 complete 16 game season in his entire career. Counting on him as anything more than a #4 or 5 WR is foolish. He's definitely not the solution to the "Who starts opposite Moss" problem.

Stanback is not making this team IMO unless BB wants an emergency QB and does not draft one.

If Stanback is still on the list of WRs we are in trouble because that would indicate our receiving corps is once again weak from 3 on down

I don't want to see alot of familiar faces at WR other than Welker and Moss and maybe Edelman,we need new blood after those guys.

He'd fit in nicely for about 9 games and be injured for the other 7, leaving the Patriots to have to play a guy like Stanback or Aiken in that spot anyway.

Branch is still a decent WR, when healthy. The problem is, the guy has never shown he is capable of staying on the field; only 1 complete 16 game season in his entire career. Counting on him as anything more than a #4 or 5 WR is foolish. He's definitely not the solution to the "Who starts opposite Moss" problem.

We have Brandon Tate and I'm presuming we will draft 1-2 rookie wideouts this April - if anything, having a guy that is accustomed to playing only 75% of the time might work out for the best. We're walking a fine line of needing immediate results (a guy like Branch or Antonio Bryant) while needing to get younger at the position (Tate, Edelman and incoming draftees). We can't expect Tate to contribute right away, nor the draftees. We'll need a stopgap. Sam Aiken is not cutting it, no offense to him - he's a valuable player for our team, but he is not acceptable as our wideout opposite Moss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News