PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reiss thinks Pats would be interested in Deion Branch if released

Status
Not open for further replies.

Disco Volante

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
ESPN Boston

Q. Hey Mike is there any chance the Pats would sign Deion Branch if he gets released from Seattle?

A. Johnny, I'd say keep an eye on this one because I think the answer is yes.

Last edited:
Re: Reiss: Pats would have interest in Deion Branch if released

Branch has had a fair few injuries whilst he's been in Seattle, I don't think he's had a full season there. His numbers have hardly been great too, although to be fair they've had some bad luck with the QB situation and the running game.

It would have to be a cheap deal, for me. Still one of my favourite players though.

He's not an encouraging option.

Aside from the injury concern, I just don't like the guy. I have no respect for the players that pull the crap he pulled. There's plenty of ex-Pats that i would welcome back, and he's not one of them :bricks:

If the team can just stay healthy at WR, i think they'll be ok with just adding someone from the draft. Im not an Aiken, or Stanback fan, so adding a cheap FA WR would be fine too. Maybe BB will find another Gaffney.

he knows the system....brady can think of a spot on the field and Branch will be there.

Why the hell not???

Ambivalent about this one, fallen off dramatically...if he came for a vet minimum + incentives may be a good thing..

Yes, please.

He had an excellent game against the Patriots two years ago. At least he'd be in the right place (even if not always at the right time any more).

Branch on one leg > Isaiah Stanback.

Over the past year we've gone over this in about 10 posts.

Since his health is a question mark and his contract bloated any deal would be for a mid-low draft pick w/ a renegotiated deal which would include a low base w/ playing incentives.

If BB thinks he can help the team, he'll be here. If he doesn't, he won't.

Why? Do we need a WR coach?

Too injury prone
Best days are well behind him
NEXT!!!

He's not an encouraging option.

Branch> Aiken

At #3 WR he is. At least he can catch.

Branch really screwed up leaving NE, but I would welcome him back because he would make the passing offense better.

The Seattle GM said this week he has no plans to release Branch, though he would be open to a trade. He's likely whistling in the wind because of the almost $6M in salary Meion is due, but because of the uncapped season he can afford to hang on to him until he poses a risk to them (injury in OTA's or TC). Actually that would work for Bill since Branch would not have to learn the system here. Would probably work for Branch too since he has to prove he's still worth something and with Brady would be his best shot at extending his career (and with a new HC and always inured QB undertaking a new system would be his worst case scenario). I don't like what he did either but he might make a case in this locker room for be careful what you wish for... I'd only take him on on a heavily incentivized one year prove it deal with an option just in case there is football in 2011. He could also flash on the radar in Denver or KC but while their systems are the same their QB's aren't in the same league.

We haven't won a Super Bowl since Branch left I don't think that's a coincidence - the guy is clutch. He has the best chemistry with Brady as any receiver he has ever played with, Moss, Welker, Brown, whoever.

I think it's a no-brainer. We will need a stopgap at the position this season while a) Welker rehabs b) rookies and 2nd year guys (Tate) continue to grow.

Branch has exactly what we've been missing from the offense: a) the ability to get open in intermediate routes and b) that ****y, killer-instinct that now it seems only guys like Brady & Faulk have.

he knows the system....brady can think of a spot on the field and Branch will be there.

Why the hell not???

Because hes a terrible receiver at this point. Hes not the guy who left, hes been hurt too many times.

I really doubt he'd make it out of the preseason.

Branch> Aiken

At #3 WR he is. At least he can catch.

Branch really screwed up leaving NE, but I would welcome him back because he would make the passing offense better.

Aiken can run. And block. Branch can't anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes