PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reiss says 5 Pats on PUP...

Status
Not open for further replies.

miDeuce

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/

The Patriots are expected to place five players on the physically unable to perform (PUP) list before training camp begins.
Among the five players are safety Rodney Harrison, offensive lineman Dan Koppen and Nick Kaczur.

Once they are designated as such, they are prohibited from practicing with the team. They can, however, rehabilitate and participate in team meetings. If a player begins training camp on the PUP list, they can be moved to the active roster at any time, even after one practice.

For more information, please Ron Borges' story in tomorrow's edition of the Boston Globe.

So who are the other 2??? Too bad about Rodney, some thought he'd be ready to go. Kaczur is the question for me... what happened to him?

HA HA. the old Pup trick.

Rodney will be the starting strong safety on opening day of the regular season.

THAT is a good question...Pass?? I was also thinking maybe some NFLE guys..Charles, Spann, ZSmith who were injured there....

miDeuce said:
http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/

The Patriots are expected to place five players on the physically unable to perform (PUP) list before training camp begins.
Among the five players are safety Rodney Harrison, offensive lineman Dan Koppen and Nick Kaczur.

Once they are designated as such, they are prohibited from practicing with the team. They can, however, rehabilitate and participate in team meetings. If a player begins training camp on the PUP list, they can be moved to the active roster at any time, even after one practice.

For more information, please Ron Borges' story in tomorrow's edition of the Boston Globe.

So who are the other 2??? Too bad about Rodney, some thought he'd be ready to go. Kaczur is the question for me... what happened to him?

Not good at all. Three starters on PUP before training camp even begins. Let's hope all return before too long. I'm most worried about Koppen; Rodney was more or less expected to be out, Kaczur can be replaced if necessary but we'll need him too.

Tunescribe said:
Not good at all. Three starters on PUP before training camp even begins. Let's hope all return before too long. I'm most worried about Koppen; Rodney was more or less expected to be out, Kaczur can be replaced if necessary but we'll need him too.

This move is taken a precaution in case the player needs to go on the PUP at the beginning of the season, so I wouldn't read much into it except that the players who aren't on it are more or less ready to go.

Last edited by a moderator:
And this obviously isn't Mike Reiss blogging. In fact, the "Posted By" says GLee, not MReiss.

If it was Reiss, he would actually give us the damn information and not say "Read Borges tomorrow."

Also, note how it says "The Patriots are expected to." That means it probably hasn't happened, and this could just be speculation. Who knows. Hopefully Mike will straighten things out quickly.

On an unrelated note, I think these active/PUP players might NOT actually count against the 80-man limit as PatsNut and I previously believed. The Eagles activated Buckhalter off their list today, and made a counter-move by releasing Jeff Roehl.

The Pats signed 4 draft picks (will be 5 once Maroney signs), and to get under the limit (79, in fact), they put the 5 players on the active/PUP. Doty and Henry cancel each other out as they both have NFLE exemptions.

Last edited:
Tunescribe said:
Not good at all. Three starters on PUP before training camp even begins.
Is there another time they can go on PUP? If they attend one training camp practice, they are not eligible for PUP.

Who the hell is Glee? What the hell happened to Kaczur? Why the hell would I read Ron Borges any day? (We do still have a designated Ron Borges masochist that tells us what wRong wrote so we don't have to actually suffer through it ourselves, right?)

Maybe Gramatica pulled his hammy again ?

Last edited by a moderator:
T-ShirtDynasty said:
(We do still have a designated Ron Borges masochist that tells us what wRong wrote so we don't have to actually suffer
through it ourselves, right?)[/I][/SIZE]

yes........

Alrighty then, position battles in order of difficulty finding a clear cut starter

a. Right Tackle...O'Callaghan? Britt? the other dude whos name I can't remember?

b. Wide Reciever...Jackson? Caldwell?

c. Strong Safety...Jones? Sanders? Hawkins?

d. Running Back...Dillon? Maroney

mavfan2390 said:
Alrighty then, position battles in order of difficulty finding a clear cut starter

a. Right Tackle...O'Callaghan? Britt? the other dude whos name I can't remember?

b. Wide Reciever...Jackson? Caldwell?

c. Strong Safety...Jones? Sanders? Hawkins?

d. Running Back...Dillon? Maroney

Huh? What about Kaczur/Harrison/Koppen. They all could be activated as early as tomorrow. The position battles haven't changed one bit. The changes of someone like Kaczur actually going on the real PUP list are miniscule.

Last edited:
pats1 said:
Huh? What about Kaczur/Harrison/Koppen. They all could be activated as early as tomorrow. The position battles haven't changed one bit. The changes of someone like Kaczur actually going on the real PUP list are miniscule.

Some people take this PUP stuff seriously.

I won't until the roster for the first reg season game is announced.

PATSNUTme said:
Some people take this PUP stuff seriously.

I won't until the roster for the first reg season game is announced.
Yeah, when players are put on the PUP list to start the season and then have to be out for, what, 6 games I think, then it's time to worry. Not now.

As some have alluded to, there are basically 2 versions of the PUP list. There is the one for Training Camp and the one for regular season. The one for training camp usually means the player isn't ready to take the physical and can not practice with the team. With that one, a player can also be activated at any time. However, once activated, he can NOT go back onto the PUP list. He either has to be IRed or carried as inactive. The regular season PUP list is the one where a player must sit out 6 games and supposedly can't practice prior to those 6 games being up. And I say supposedly because there are rumors about players practicing prior to them actually being activated. Much like the rumors about Bruschi last year. Also, with the Regular Season PUP list, you have to have been on the Training Camp PUP list and not activated.

As for Kaczur, I am not sure what the injury is, but I remember him missing the Denver game because of an injury. Anyone remember what was reported?

Pretty sure Ventrone is one of the other two. I thought I saw a story in the spring about him probably being out this season.

patriots and injury reports ..nuff said. :)

Jarvis could be one. He hasn't practiced yet.

Ventrone..yes!!

Lamanai said:
Pretty sure Ventrone is one of the other two. I thought I saw a story in the spring about him probably being out this season.
Shoulder surgery??? yes...he definitely will be on it...

Tidbits of info:

Zuriel Smith ended the season on the NFLE IR

According to NFLE stats, Earl Charles had no carries at all during the NFLE season. I'm not sure he played at all - as an RB he could have only blocked I suppose. In response to a question I had one time, Mike Reiss told me that he didn't play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft