Welcome to PatsFans.com

Reiss: Salary cap check

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by PatsChamp88, May 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PatsChamp88

PatsChamp88 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +68 / 3 / -0

#75 Jersey

Salary cap check - Reiss' Pieces - Boston.com

Miguel's UNOFFICIAL 2009 Patriots Salary Cap Information Page

Update for you Peppers guys :D

2. eom

eom In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -2

oh, mike reiss.....I'm so disappointed......:(

3. JoeSixPat

JoeSixPat Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +147 / 2 / -3

Not that I'm advocating for it, but what would Peppers cap hit be in Year 1 of a long term contract? $10 million? (I haven't been paying attention since I don't think it will happen)

Challenge Miguel to creatively "find" that much cap space with minimal disruption or lost players and creative extentions and I bet he'd be up to the challenge.

It might mean cutting some quality backups - which I don't think is in keeping with BB's overall approach, but I'm pretty sure it could be done.

Last edited: May 13, 2009
  4. eom

eom In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -2

haha....we've actually been discussing that in some of those monster peppers threads, and I'm not sure we ever came to an agreement.
    although, I'm pretty sure miguel isn't too interested in finding the space.

I'm not completely clear on it, but I think the cap hit would be way smaller than you might think --- certainly less than 10m.
    one thing that is very hard to establish is what kind of deal would peppers really be willing to take?

as far as hypothetical cap hits --- that haynesworth deal gets thrown around as some kind of monster money benchmark, but his '09 hit is only 6-7m, I believe.

another thing is the possibility of using completion bonuses to circumvent the cap, which is apparently something new orleans just did a little of, but I'm not really clear on all the cap implications there.
    it's possible that using completion bonuses could dramatically shrink his '09 cap, but I welcome corrections on that.

the problem right now, is that as small as you can get it, the pats still only have about 5m in cap, with some of that earmarked for rookies.
    so, if you really wanted to pursue this as an intellectual exercise, I'll say it could move into the realm of possibility w/a brady restructure, kicking green in on the deal, and completion bonuses.

Last edited: May 13, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.